Game Ratings

Dreek Lass

I have no idea how old most of you are, but I'm assuming you're adults now, so I'm going to word my question like this: When you were younger, did you adhere to game ratings, or did you used to buy any game regardless of their ratings?

I used to buy games that were for adults when I was a child, and my parents never batted an eyelid luckily lol. How about you?

My folks never bothered with the ratings when I was a kid. I was 4 or 5 years old playing games like Mortal Kombat and Streets of Rage on the Genesis. As I got older, around 7-10. I had a PS1 and was playing games like Resident Evil and Metal Gear Solid. So no, I never really followed the ratings. I was mature enough to realize it was fiction and not real and I knew better then to emulate anything I saw in a game.

When I was younger, I don't even remember ever noticing game ratings.

I suppose when I was a kid, I mostly had my Nintendo and they also sell "family friendly" games anyway, so by default, I wasn't getting anything too far outside my age range.

Then later on, it wouldn't have really mattered too much. It *is* something I pay attention to when I'm buying games for other people's kids, though.

Not really. Back in the day I would buy games mostly based on the awesomeness of its cover, and I know looking back now that doesn't really make that much sense but it sure did make a lot of sense to me as a kid. It's only now when everything is so readily available that I find myself checking out reviews and ratings for games, and I only do it because it's a bit more necessary since there are so many games out there and they are so expensive so I couldn't afford just buying everything hoping one or two of them would be good like I used to before.

Before the age of 18 I played games that were either rated for my age or that weren't too violent. And honestly that wasn't a problem back then, after I turned 18 pretty well my either collection was rated M with a good selection of T and a smattering of other things. The thing is I do think ratings are important and so I did adhere to them even when I really didn't want to. I still do when it comes to my kid brother because he is a child... a child who likes to ask really awkward questions.

I didn't care about game ratings. As long as there was something to satisfy my boredom, I just went for the game if it looked interesting to me. Some games were pretty boring, but most were not.

I started my gaming career in the beginning of the 80's, playing arcade and home computer games. I would read British game magazines such as Crash (for ZX Spectrum coverage) and C&VG (Computer & Video Games - mutliplatform coverage) that were pretty accurate with their review scores. The staff of these magazines were real gamers and they were truly passionate about the hobby. I would trust their reviews and hardly ever bought a bad game.

Crash_Magazine_Cover_Issue_1.jpg

Crash - one of the finest game magazines of all time!

Latest posts

Latest threads

Back