Good RPGs on Wii?

Aumlanka

From
Texas, USA
I know Wii U is right around the corner and it'll be really interesting to see how it stacks up to the expectations surrounding the new platform. That being said, I'd like to get a few more good games under my belt on the Wii.

I really enjoy RPGs and would like to get a something great for the Wii. It doesn't necessarily have to be something serious as I actually really enjoyed The Dog Island. I think I'd prefer something a little more light-hearted like that so when my nieces and nephews come over I have some games they can play without having to be concerned their parents may not approve.

I'd love some suggestions. If you've played some kid-friendly RPGs and enjoyed them please share some titles. Thanks!

In terms of western rpg games, you'll be out of luck on the Wii. To my knowledge, I don't think a single western rpg has ever graced the system. However, if you're into the Japanese rpg games, you'll have better luck. I know the Last Story is suppossed to be really good.

And the Wii does have a Tales game from Namco I believe.

When you say games for the Wii, would you also accept Gamecube titles? If so, I could tell you that Skies of Arcadia Legends is not to be missed. Cartoony visuals, a PG-at-worst script, and simplistic turn-based combat make the game fairly kid-friendly. The best way to sum it up is that it's a JRPG with no whining. The main character is awesome and motivated. When sad things happen, he does awesome things and motivates at them until they explode. Constantly imperiled romantic interests? Love triangles? You don't have time for that nonsense when there's sky pirating to do! Every party member seems like an archetype cutout at first, but quickly becomes endearing as you learn more about their relationships and outlook on life. Sorry if this isn't quite what you were looking for.

A lot of the lego games on wii are rpgs...but...as you can guess, they kind of suck...especially since it's all lego editions (like lego Harry Potter, lego Batman, etc)
I really want a good RPG that isn't lego on wii to play, too.

If you're down for something a little different, Super Paper Mario is a great and unique action RPG on Wii. Probably the best Mario-related RPG Nintendo has released since the original Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars on SNES.

How about Animal Crossing City Folk? I am not sure if it counts as an rpg, but I enjoy it. Anything Harvest Moon is also a great choice. I believe the one I have is Tree of Tranquility. Both are easy to pick up, game play wise, and are kid friendly.

Wow, its so dissapointing that there are hardly any RPG's on the Wii isn't it, I mean RPG's were one of Nintendo's (if not the) strongest works back in the day throughout all of their consoles pretty much. It goes to show you the way gaming and game developers and players are changing, and its not all positive!

I will say though that harvest moon did come out on the Wii and it is one of Nintendo's longest running RPG titles, worth a look as it is fun and immersive but not packed with action.

The one, most essential RPG of that generation of systems I think is easily Last Story.

Many people, though not all, have lamented the direction Square Enix took their flagship franchise, Final Fantasy, in recent years. Last Story was an attempt by another design studio to recapture that former glory and put out a game worthy of that legacy. To do so, they got many of the older generation of Squaresoft personel, including the peerless Nobuo Uematsu to do the music. They even named it Last Story!

It is what a modern Final Fantasy could have been under the direction of a design oriented studio instead of a mass market oriented studio, as Square Enix seems to be fast becoming.

I don't like RPG's at all, but my brother is a huge fan of them. And he really liked the Fire Emblem for wii, even myself, not liking that type of games, have to give credit to that game. It looks really good, boring as hell for someone like me haha, but really good.

Xenoblade Chronicles was honestly one of the most amazing RPGs for the Wii. If you were lucky to get the limited edition, then it’s definitely something worth keeping. I know it was for me, and I honestly am going to have nostalgia trips all over it for years to come. The characters and gameplay really captured me. It was definitely difficult when it came to a classical JRPG, but it was definitely fun after I got used to knowing how to combo and build up the party gauge. It’s simply a game that’s worth the investment, though I don’t know the price range for it nowadays.

Another game to consider is Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World. I know the main character may come off as a weak-minded individual, but his character develops so much throughout the game. And before the climax of the game, he was a completely different person that I respected for his endurance. Let’s just say that he had to persevere through a lot of conflict with family and such. The gameplay is pretty fun, and is more robust than the first Tales of Symphonia game. However, it doesn’t have the quality in narrative and characters as the first one of course.

The Last Story is another game I have on my list, and although it was pretty straight-forward, I absolutely loved the characters in the game. It was your classic destined lovers’ type of RPG, but that didn’t bother me one bit since I like any game that takes relationships a bit further than usual. The whole motifs between good knights and corrupt knights definitely sets an interest in the game. Other than that, those are the three most noticeable RPG games for the Wii.

I agree, the SNES was an RPG machine.The only system I can name as many good RPGs from is the PS1. Like we were talking about before though, it would be nice to see an "RPGized" version of Zelda.

Super Paper Mario, The Last Story, Xenoblade, Valhalla Knights, Pandora's Tower, Baroque, Rune Factory: Tides of Destiny, Tales of Symphonies: Dawn of the New World, Arc Rise Fantasia. All of em are pretty good but the wii did not have very many rpg's

I need to look deeper into the Wii games then. RPGs are my favorites, though I don't have as much time to play them anymore.

Xenoblade Chronicles, The Last Story, Tales of Symphonies: Dawn of the New World, Sakura Wars V: So Long, My Love and Pandora's Tower are a few that come to mind. Most of these are not even pure JRPGs but are more action orientated. Apart from Sakura Wars V which is a strategy RPG combined with a visual novel & dating sim elements. I was hoping that the Wii would have a stronger line up of role playing games but these few titles are pretty decent.

There are some really good suggestions in this thread, and I'd like to throw in a Virtual Console one: Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars. It was originally a Super Nintendo game, but it's on the VC and absolutely worth it. It's a true classic, and I can't recommend it enough.

Latest posts

Latest threads

Back