Headphone Jack

crunchyg

Administrator
Staff member
Playing
GameCube
They shouldn't have.

mWVpO2I.jpg

Seriously? You're the admin of maybe one of the best Nintendo forums and you can't even say anything positive about the newly announced system, Nintendo Switch? You can't even make a thread just saying "The next home console, Nintendo Switch, has just been announced"? Are you sure you're still a Nintendo fan? A great portion of people still use earphones and headphones with cords. Wireless earphones and headphones are pretty recent and they cost a lot of money. Not everyone wants to spend a thousand dollars on wireless headphones yet.

^ Are we 100% sure he was criticizing the NX headphone jack? Because I can't tell whether it's being criticized or praised.

Either way, a Nintendo fan is allowed not to care for the Switch. Nintendo's investors weren't pleased with it. I'm more likely to believe crunchyg is being a good admin - I mean, he changed the board name and everything, and no one asked him to. He has said for months that he hoped it had normal controllers and no weird gimmicks, and it didn't. His personal opinion has nothing to do with whether he's a good admin.

@Shane, Well, he said in another Nintendo Switch related thread that it was everything he wanted it not to be, so there's a pretty good chance to me that he was talking about it in a bad way, but maybe not. Yes, he is certainly allowed to have his own opinion, I was just saying that he could've made some kind of official thread and say it was announced. No one asked him to change the name of the board, but with that kind of stuff, whether you like it or not, you have to do it. So that was probably just something he had to do. I apologize for reacting maybe a bit too much, though. Sorry.

@ChibiChan12

A) I have been a Nintendo customer for 30+ years and have the full right to criticize their design decisions.

B) The 3.5mm headphone jack has been used since the 1950s and is outdated and redundant technology. In less than 2 years, not a single new phone or mobile device will come with a headphone jack. Apple started it and the rest followed immediately.

C) This was meant to be a lighthearted discussion for people who wanted to poke fun at Apple or Nintendo

Seriously? You're the admin of maybe one of the best Nintendo forums and you can't even say anything positive about the newly announced system, Nintendo Switch? You can't even make a thread just saying "The next home console, Nintendo Switch, has just been announced"? Are you sure you're still a Nintendo fan? A great portion of people still use earphones and headphones with cords. Wireless earphones and headphones are pretty recent and they cost a lot of money. Not everyone wants to spend a thousand dollars on wireless headphones yet.
He's mocking Apple iphone 7.

@ChibiChan12

A) I have been a Nintendo customer for 30+ years and have the full right to criticize their design decisions.

B) The 3.5mm headphone jack has been used since the 1950s and is outdated and redundant technology. In less than 2 years, not a single new phone or mobile device will come with a headphone jack. Apple started it and the rest followed immediately.

C) This was meant to be a lighthearted discussion for people who wanted to poke fun at Apple or Nintendo
A) being a consumer doesn't make you an expert. Nintendo has repeatedly made devices out of left field that looked weird then were immediate hits once they got into people's hands.

B) I highly doubt that. Everyone else will be using USB 3.1 while Apple is pushing lighting - which isn't even supported by their macbooks and might never be. 3.5mm is a standard, and everyone will use adapters.

^

A) Some have also failed, like the Virtual Boy and Wii U. It's pretty hit and miss.

Analog sticks were new at the time, same with 3D rendering, motion controls, analog triggers, dual screens, etc. Pretty much all the systems have brought something new to the table.

And if anything, Nintendo is following a form of meh/awesome tick-tock schedule, and the Switch is due to be an awesome tock.

N64: Awesome
Gamecube: meh
Wii: Awesome
Wii U: meh
Switch: Awesome

3.5mm is a standard, and everyone will use adapters.

Please create an entry in your calendar to revisit this thread in exactly 18 months. We'll do a reality check how many new phones will have a headphone jack at that time.

@crunchyg, I really don't like to get deep into these things. I already don't like doing what I've done, but let me just say that, like I said, wireless headphones and earphones are still very recent. I'm sure not many people outside of the wealthy are alright with spending hundreds of dollars on Bluetooth headphones right now. Perhaps people will be ready to do this in two years from now, we will just have to see. Many people still use wired headphones. I use wired headphones and I don't have a problem with it.

Also, I'm sure you have been a Nintendo costumer for thirty years, but I don't really see how that gives you reason to judge Nintendo's products so quickly. You do have the right to your own opinion, though, just as everyone does.

I apologize for getting maybe a little too serious before, though. Have a good day, or night. :)

Last edited:
the thing i like about having that jack on my 3ds is at this point you can get a very nice set of headphones for as cheap or expensive as you want to go. I got my lil SkullCandy's and I'm plenty satisfied. I like getting into a good rpg with my phones on, it's like I'm in the game. And Nintendo does a great job in the sound department as always.

Nintendo had no ethernet port on Wii U, and didn't provide a charger with the new 3ds and yet there are arguments over them including a headphone jack on the switch

When was the last time a Nintendo console had Ethernet built in on the base system? Most people have their wifi router near their computer and not their tv anyways.

And the 3DS still has a charger port, so it's not exactly the same thing

^

A) Some have also failed, like the Virtual Boy and Wii U. It's pretty hit and miss.
Eh Wii U is not really a failure. Sure it didn't sell a ton but they made money on it. PS3 is more of a failure than Wii U in profit margins. Virtual Boy is the only true failure they had and the man behind it who was also behind NES and Game Boy and Game & Watch has been dead for 20 years. Gamecube made money,Wii U made money.

Latest threads

Back