How seriously do you take your gaming?

Dreek Lass

I think that I am a moderately serious gamer. I like to win or complete games, but If I don't then it is not the end of the world for me, which is more than I can say for some of the people that I know. However, I do like to win at all costs if I am playing against a friend or a family member, and not just the computer AI.

Having said that, I have friends who will throw their control pads down in anger because the computer beat them or whatever. I understand the frustration, because I think that we have all felt a little gaming frustration when we have had to keep doing a mission or a level again because we keep failing, but throwing down your controller and then having to replace it because it broke? I all fairness, you can just restart your console and do the stage or mission all over again lol. People throwing gaming tantrums is a funny thing to see though, if not a little concerning at times.

But to me breaking things is taking it a little too far. I mean, games are supposed to be fun, not inducing of high blood pressure lol.

How serious do you take your gaming?

I admit, I've had my "gamer's rage" moments before. But never when playing with other people. Around other people, I always play for fun, and never take anything serious. Even if we are having a tournament or competition of some sort, or anything like that, I never take it serious. I could lose a very, very, very close match, or get destroyed completely. Doesn't matter. When I'm gaming with anybody else around, doesn't matter who it is, I never take it seriously. I never get upset. I never get angry. It doesn't even matter to me. If I win, I win. If I lose, I lose. No big deal.

That said, when I'm alone, I've sworn at games before. It's happened. I won't lie. I'll admit. Doesn't happen all of the time. Depends on the gaming mood I'm in. Most of the time, I'm in a relaxed, playful mood, and can just game for the sake of gaming. However, there are a few moments where I'm fully focused and dedicated in what I'm doing. And in those cases, every blue moon, I've been known to swear out here and there over what's happened in the game. But I never, ever, get angry at a video game even if there is one other person around. If anybody is around, I never let it bother me. I might think it, but I never lash out. Won't do it. However, when alone, I will let a swear out here and there.

Now, when it comes to throwing controllers or things like that, no. I don't do that. I'll swear out every once in a while, but I won't throw anything. However, I had a roommate who would throw his controllers around the room. One time, he was playing a game, and he lost against the A.I., and he got up, grabbed the console itself, and flipped it across the room, while it was still one. He didn't throw his controller, he flipped his entire console across the room. He was that pissed. And more over, it landed upside on some boxes that he had lying his room, half dangling off. And he just stormed out of his room to cool down. Then, later, when he returned, he changed the channel back to the tv, and watched tv for the rest of the night. Didn't touch the console. Then, 2 days later, the console is still on, and still upside down. He never touched it for a couple of days, and left it on, running all day, upside, while it teetered and almost fell. I had just gotten off of work, and he had been home from work for about an hour. He wanted to get some food, so we went and grabbed some food. On the way back, he wanted to play this new game that he had just gotten, and wanted to know if I wanted to join him. I said sure, so we went into his room, and that's when I noticed his machine was still on and still upside down. So I asked him about it, and he said yeah, he never touched it, and doesn't even know if the game was scratched or not, or if the machine still works or not. It was crazy. The game did have a scratch, however, it still worked.

After we gamed for a little bit, I went to my room, and that's when he said that he wanted to retry that game that got him mad the last time. So he did. Meanwhile, I'm back in my room, and I can hear him cussing at the machine, then, a few moments later, banging, as if he's throwing his controller around. Then, after a few more minutes, he's cussing again, then I hear him throw the console again, and then cuss it out, and then I hear him storm out of the apartment, presumably in anger, as my door was closed.

He tried the game one more time, and when he got mad at it again, he took it to the gamestore and traded it in for store credit. Not really sure what he used it for. But he eventually got rid of it. Tho, a few weeks later, when we both went to the game store to pick up a new game that was coming out, he was proudly telling the girl at the counter about how that game pissed him off so much he threw his console. She seemed more scared by that story, yet, oddly, he seemed really proud of himself as he shared that story. I remember thinking, wow, that's something you probably want to keep a secret, and not be going around and boasting proudly.

Anyways, yeah, when I'm home alone, I may get frustrated enough to swear out loud for a sec. But then it passes and I continue gaming. But I never, ever, ever, lash out if anybody is around. Never. I won't do it. I never let it bother me that much when others are round. And when I'm alone, I'm mostly ok. However, there were a few moments, over the years, where I just had to say something. However, I never throw my controllers, or consoles. Tho, I did know another friend who would freak out and bash down on this controller. He wouldn't throw his controller, but he'd punch the hell out of it. Usually hurting his hand in the process. That, or messing up the analog sticks or making the buttons stick, or things like that. So there's that.

Lawnachaun, I love your honesty. I have sworn at games and myself whilst playing games too, but the profanity was never anything serious. Nothing more than a mutter under the breath, and then I swiftly get on with the game. Certain games kind of force you to do so anyway. But if playing is not fun for me, I don't play. I usually refuse to play other people because I can't take losing to real living people. I just don't like it. It is more difficult to come up with some sort o strategy when you are playing against a real person, and I am somewhat of a loner at times anyway. So it should come ad no surprise to people that I like to game alone too hahaha!

Also it is glad to know that I am not the only person with friends that suffer from gamer's rage hahah! I didn't even know that there was terminology for it.

Depends on the cheapness - if I have to replay a level seventeen times because the shadow of a blade for all of .000008 seconds passed by the shadow of my characters one errant hair... then yeah I'm going to be ticked. I'm not going to break anything (I don't have money like that), but I will shut down the console and go for a walk (a long profanity filled walk). Other than that? I don't care enough - all my passion goes to achievement hunting like wow.

While I'm an ardent gamer, I don't take games that seriously at all. I'm mature enough and since I know how games are designed and developed, I'm quite aware of their illusionary aspect. I think the last time I threw a temper tantrum at a game is when I was 16. These days, if I don't find a game satisfying I'll simply quit and switch to another game that is more appealing.

I don't take most games seriously. The only game I do in Smash, because I am trying to play it competitively.

Latest posts

Latest threads

Back