I need some help, if you're up to it

GamePayne

Playing
NES
I have a 2TB external hard drive. that has over 1TB of free space left. I tried to download a game and it will not install. it states that all blocks are filled up. But I have my games in Folders, by systems, and they are in Alpahbetical order. I don't want to delete games. Since I'm a game collector. What can I do to fix this?

According to the official site:

"Is there a maximum size for external storage devices used with Wii U?
If the Wii U has the most recent system update installed, it will be able to recognize a storage device of any size, but 2TB will be the maximum amount of storage capacity that can be used. Any extra capacity in the storage device beyond the 2TB will not be accessible via the Wii U."

It does say that you can use a 2TB external HDD so it should work. That being said, I have a few questions about your external hard drive. First, what brand/model is it? Does it have a dedicated power source, meaning do you have to plug the hard drive into the wall and into the Wii? Did you format your HDD for use with the Wii U, because "all USB storage devices must be formatted and configured on the Wii U console for exclusive use with the console. Once a device has been configured for use with a Wii U console, it cannot be used with another Wii U console, PC, etc., unless it is reformatted." (again, as per official site).

I think you might of misread what I wrote. The 2TB hard drive works on the Wii U, But I downloaded 78 NES games all wii games, all N64 games. And many Indie games, Some SNES, DS, GBA games and 41 Wii U games are downloaded. and then when I try to download a new game the Wii U has a pop up stating that the Slots are all full. But I have Folders for all of the games. And there are tons of slots left. I don't want to erase any games. since I'm a collector.

Last edited:
Did you download all of those games from the eShop? Also whether they are in folders or not doesn't really matter.

All of them are downloaded.. I'm sending Nintendo an Email so they can put in an update to fix this.

Keep us posted on the resolution, I'm curious to see why it's not seeing all of your free space. I know some of it is reserved for temp files and such, but it shouldn't be half of your hard drive.

I called Nintendo instead. They stated that I wasn't the only one with this problem. And they will put a word in for an update for unlimited free slots. Also you can use 3TB external hard drive. I deleted all of my demos. Now I'm waiting for Fatal Frame V to come out in 2 weeks. that's 14 days from now. Also can't wait any long for Xenoblades Chronicle X to come out for the Wii U. I've been waiting for a couple of years for it.

Latest threads

Back