I think I want a Wii U, need help

Srw0701

So, I've been wanting to pick up skyward sword and twilight princess for awhile now. And the new hd release for tp looks good. Also, after seeing e3 gameplay of breath of the wild, I'm really looking forward to that. I've also seen that the Wii U allows the buying of old super Nintendo games and such.

Thing is, I already own a gaming pc, and don't want to spend a fortune on a console for 6 or so games. So I'm wondering what the absolute basic set up is that I could go with.

The list of games would include : breath of the wild, skyward sword, twilight princess hd, minish cap, lttp (snes), and probably a couple of other snes games like super Mario world and donkey Kong 2.

So is it possible to get a Wii U console alone without the tablet? And can you play these games without the tablet and just the pro controller? I figure skyward sword would be the tricky one. I can get a free Wii motion plus controller. Does that work with the Wii U? And then I'd just need a sensor bar right?

I appreciate any help, I haven't owned a Nintendo console since snes, and with all the different options they've released lately, it's a bit confusing.

Yeah, you are definitely going to want to get the gamepad. By the way, you should add Super Smash Bros and Splatoon to that list of games you want. They are epic! ;)

You can't even register the system out of the box without the Gamepad. The Gamepad is fine,just a regular controller with a screen. It's only fault is the batt life but DS4 on PS4 is just as bad.

You can get an extended battery for the gamepad like I did, which gives it a 20-hour battery life or something

30 bucks for a battery. Eh cheaper to keep it plugged in

As others have already said, as far as I'm aware, you do have to have the gamepad as well I think to be able to use the Wii U.

Just to comment about the OP saying that Nintendo releases are a little confusing, I have to agree and especially if a person is coming back into gaming and looking at getting a Nintendo, they'll look at the options and that's been made available over the last few releases and might have second thoughts. I think Nintendo just need to keep it simple from now on, and when the NX is released, just have the Nintendo NX and not the NX-U or the Wii-NX or the Wii-U-NX...and another 5 different variants so nobody apart from the CEO of Nintendo themselves know which is the best of the bunch.

@Srw0701 ok, i see what you're after.

Yes, you have to have a Gamepad.

There is a second screen for wii game use.(backward compatible)

If you buy classics from the Virtual Console, many of them will not play with the Pro Controller. Some may play on the Gamepad, some will require and older controller or nunchuk set-up.

If you get a basic wii u, it may not have enough memory for what you want to buy. I went through 32 GB pretty quick on my deluxe.

Let us know what you decide and if you need any help, and if I may suggest a sweet startup title:

DUCKTALES REMASTERED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You say you went through 32G pretty quick @dustinb12 and withe the size of the games these days that's no surprise. It makes me wonder why companies such as Sony, Microsoft and even Nintendo in the past have released consoles that aren't capable of allowing people to download and install more then two or three games.

It's alright to sell consoles with reduced hard drive capacity at a lower price, but surely they would think about the consumer and realise that it's just false economy. Why would anybody buy a console that's only capable of storing one or two games on it?

Alright.
1. You need to have a Gamepad, but you don't really ever have to use the Gamepad. You can start the console and pick games using the Pro controller or Wiimote.

2. Used Wii Us are pretty cheap. I found one the other day on kijiji for only $120, fully functional and all original accessories.

3. After a while paying extra for the delux is meaningless, as you will still fill up the drive. You will end up getting a USB hard drive, but you may get by with a cheap high-capacity USB drive

4. Just buy one. Between the virtual console, Wii u games, and even running GameCube and other games through illegitimate means; the Wii U has an amazing library well worth the price.

You say you went through 32G pretty quick @dustinb12 and withe the size of the games these days that's no surprise. It makes me wonder why companies such as Sony, Microsoft and even Nintendo in the past have released consoles that aren't capable of allowing people to download and install more then two or three games.

It's alright to sell consoles with reduced hard drive capacity at a lower price, but surely they would think about the consumer and realise that it's just false economy. Why would anybody buy a console that's only capable of storing one or two games on it?

yeah, i didn't realize the sizes until i downloaded Super Luigi U. It took 45 minutes and used around 5 GB. And its not a huge game. Whoa. So i've since got a Seagate 3 TB backup and everything should be good for a while. So this is something to consider also, how much digital we plan on using?

A lot of people also fell for the cheaper Playstation 3 option that Sony released, and that only had a 12Gb hard drive. Install GTA V and FIFA 15 (as it was at the time) and that was it, it was full. Like you say, you can add an external hard drive, but by the time you've paid for that and installed it, you might as well have paid the extra £50 and got the larger hard drive version in the first place.

yeah, i didn't realize the sizes until i downloaded Super Luigi U. It took 45 minutes and used around 5 GB. And its not a huge game. Whoa. So i've since got a Seagate 3 TB backup and everything should be good for a while. So this is something to consider also, how much digital we plan on using?
I have a fuckton of games on my Wii U and am only using about 400GB on a 750GB hdd

Get the Wii U. I have it. And it's fun to use. The Wii U is very underrated. It's a great system. There are tons of VC/Indie games that you can download. You can also download Wii U games to a portable hard drive that is up to 2TB in memory. All you need is a 1 female to 3 male USB Y cable to get the portable hard drive to work.

I have a fuckton of games on my Wii U and am only using about 400GB on a 750GB hdd

How much of the hard drive you use though is going to depend on what sort of games it is that you download, buy and ultimately play though. Often you'll find that the games from the big software houses such as EA and Rockstar for example are quite data intensive and whatever size of hard drive you have, install a few of the games from those and you'll soon see the effect on the available space you'll have left.

Get the Wii U. I have it. And it's fun to use. The Wii U is very underrated. It's a great system. There are tons of VC/Indie games that you can download. You can also download Wii U games to a portable hard drive that is up to 2TB in memory. All you need is a 1 female to 3 male USB Y cable to get the portable hard drive to work.

I can't make my mind up about the Wii U to be honest, and while it's not as bad as what a lot of the reviews say, it certainly can''t compete with devices such as the Playstation 4 or the Xbox ONE. A lot of people said it was never intended to compete with them, but for a company like Nintendo, I do think they needed the Wii U to put them back on the map so to speak when it came to consoles.

The Wii U is still worth buying, and especially no that it's come down in price, but at the same time I wouldn't expect too much from it, if you ARE used to playing one of the other consoles as I think it might come as a bit of a disappointment.

I played the PS4 And Xbox One at my friends and cousin's house. And I'm used to playing with those systems. But the Wii U is not a disappointment, It's very underrated. My friends and I use 3 HD tv's one with the Wii U, PS4 & Xbox One. It doesn't matter what console is the best. at the end it's all about the gaming experience, Which is meant to having a great time. The Wii U has many exclusives while the other two just have more 3rd party. and hardly any exclusives at all. You need to play the Nintendo Wii U. You will love it.

I have 8 retail games on my PS4 and the HDD is already halfway full. Wii U all my games I own which is a fair amount (30 something) I have 400GB left on my 500GB drive for Wii U.

Well the good news is that you live in 2016, and that means that you have a lot of options for finding a cheaper Wii U. If you look long and hard enough, I am betting that you can find a Wii U for a lot cheaper than you thought you could, and you will surprise yourself. It might take some time, but I just have the feeling it is out there. All of the obscure items I have needed I have always seemed to find out there.

Well as the Wii U system get's older, the prices are going to come down and so they will become more popular than ever before. That of course doesn't mean that the system is selling better because people are liking it more, they're buying it because its cheap. When they do buy it they will still see that it isn't as good as the Xbox ONE or Playstation 4, but they won't be as disappointed as the performance of the system will reflect the lower price.

Latest threads

Back