Is a gaming PC worth the price?

wowtgp

Playing
Wii U
I own a PC worth $2,000 with Intel i7 processor and ridiculously overpriced Nvidia GTX Titan, but the question is this, is it worth the price?

What do you guys think about gaming PCs?

I think you have answered your own question. Pimped out graphic cards have always been overpriced, and that makes the PCs built around them overpriced as well. They are made for a very niche market, and only a handful of games benefit fully from having such crazy specs. Not to mention the ridiculous amount of electricity these machines draw, and for what? Just to draw a few more polygons?

To be completely honest, I don't think that PC gaming is worth the price. I mean, yes, most of the time the releases that come out on other consoles, which then come out on PC are cheapen than they would have been on any other console, but quality of gameplay is often taken away - at least that is how it has always been in my experience - simply because you have to play games with the keyboard and mouse, or a touchpad if you have a laptop. It is either that or you have to go out there and spend more money on some kid of joystick that will assist you in playing your games comfortably.

If you are entirely comfortable with the controls and how the PC gaming experience feels, then I don't think that spending a lot of money on PC gaming is a waste at all. If you enjoy something then it is worth every penny in my opinion.

I think PC gaming is worth it. Most of the time, the PC versions are way better than the console versions. In both quality, and controls. The mouse and keyboard controls for FPS's are the best. It's much faster, smoother, and far more accurate. Controllers, by comparison, are slower, clunkier, and not as accurate. However, they are getting better. Not quit mouse and keyboard better, but better. Of course, the controller is better for other games, like fighting games, for instance. And thus, there is always the option to add a controller to your pc, and play everything with the controller, if that suites you better. Plus, you usually have more options when customizing your buttons. Depending on the game, of course. But the mouse and keyboard are way better for lots of games on the PC. Mostly FPS and 3rd Person games. But some others as well. Like Point and Click games. Also, the online maps (if you play online multiplayer) are usually bigger. Sometimes much bigger, but definitely noticable. Plus, the graphical settings can be turned up higher than consoles can handle. Some consoles, when they release, can be about as good as PC's in the graphics department. But they are what they are, when they release. PC's are constantly evolving, and always end up way better than the consoles, even during the consoles "peak" on the market. So, is PC gaming "worth the price".. definitely. Without a doubt. To me, that's an easy yes. Plus, there are some games that come out just to one console and the pc, and not the other consoles. So you can still get that game on your pc too, without having to own multiple systems. Of course, the consoles have their place too, and they have their exclusive games too. Still, in the end, the PC is definitely an easy choice to make. With the PC, it's completely customizable, and there's definitely something for everybody. So there you go.

It mostly depends on what you put in. You can get a decent pc together and play for a few years. You also can do many other things with that machine as well. For the most part the graphics will look much better. It just depends on your preference. Put together a PC about 3 years ago. It still plays most high end games.

You also have the option to upgrade as well. I piece together many parts and upgrade when I can. It's a good hobby as well.

Yeah, I remember when I put my first PC together from scratch. I had no idea what I was doing back that. I just decided to go for it. I put it together, and it last for 6 years before I upgraded a single component. Then, 2 years later, at the 8 year mark, I updated it more. Before just deciding later on to use that as a secondary PC, for friends or whoever happens to come over, and then built me a new PC as my main PC. That lasted me a while too.

Since my first PC, I have since built countless others. I built them for my friends and family and coworkers. They tell me that they want a pc, I ask what they want it for, and show them the prices for the parts. They buy the parts, and I put it together for them. When they want to upgrade, they tell me, and again, they buy the parts, and I put it together for them. Now a days, tho, I don't get many calls for that. Everybody has one, and they all work great. So no need for me anymore. Until they want to upgrade again. But that can be years in between for most people. For the gamer's tho, some like to buy the best of the best parts, and stay with them for as long as possible, while others I know like to get the "2nd Best" stuff, because it's cheaper, and then, try to keep that as long as they can, before upgrading to the "2nd best" again. That's one option. Among others. Also, PC parts go on sale all of the time. You can buy a part here, buy a part there, and put it together later. Or, just upgrade as you go. Either way. depending on how you do it, you can save a lot of money.

...It'll definitely depend to be completely honest. If what you want is to customize then you will perhaps want to get a gaming PC, but if you just want to open the box and play a game - you'll have to get a console. The console will never need to be upgraded except in terms of software and that comes automatically. The console connects to a huge community and multiple entertainment applications and the library of games tends to be rather larger overall. That said a gaming PC will perhaps be prettier in nature, but how well a person plays will depend on them. I am personally a competitive console player, but would never attempt the same on a PC. That's just me - other people I know have send an upgrade in their skills when playing PC versus Console. It's a personal thing.

I have a slightly different take on this. You should think about future-proofing any choice you make.

Moore's law has about a decade left before we reach the physical limits of making processors more powerful. In reality though, most programs are benefiting less from each successive new generation of CPUs. Adding cores and specialized machine instructions are things that programs cannot automatically benefit from unless written to do so.

So what does that mean? One possible outcome of this is that the computer you are thinking of buying now for $2,000, is probably going to be very similar to the computer you might buy in 10 years for a fraction of that price. You will probably see the gaming community itself, debating whether expensive computers are worth the cost of upgrading anymore.

Honestly you can see that in most base-line PCs. I mean a computer that costs 350 bucks today has capabilities that would have made a geek drool years ago. That is part of the reason why people tend to prefer a console - there is a set price and the longer the console is out the cheaper it tends to get. Even better is that the software tends to get better as the console is getting cheaper, the same cannot necessarily be said about a PC. Still it's a personal choice...

I think so, generally the price of PC will be offset by the amount you will pay for games and such and that helps immensely so. Besides without a PC you wouldn't be able to play Just Cause 2 Multiplayer which is by the way AMAZING! Have you ever run around in a server that has 1200 people in it? out a max of 3000! It's crazy fun and without modding and PC gaming it wouldn't exist so honestly I think that alot of what makes PC gaming stronger is the modding community and the fact that the games look better then on the consoles.

This is a hotly debated topic. Some people are dedicated to PC gaming, while others prefer the consoles. There are also a select number of people who do both. I think there are pros and cons to both.
For PCs, the initial cost is a lot higher, however, there is one sparkling advantage. As the hardware/software gets more powerful, you can simply upgrade your system. In a way, your PC never has to be "obsolete". Console systems reach a certain point, then a new one gets released to keep up with the times. While console systems may be cheaper, they are in need of replacement more often.

Unless you are a hardcore PC gamer or have a lot of money, it's probably not worth it. You can buy a cheaper computer and still be able to play many great games, obviously just not as well as a more expensive PC. You also have the option of console.

No computer, console or similar device is worth $2000!
That's why I dislike Apple products. If computers were all priced so high, only rich people would use them.

Every computer I had so far was in the $500 to $1000 range, and I never regretted buying one.
If you buy a Graphics card now, and it costs 1000$, it'll lose 50% of its value as soon as you put it into the computer.
And in a year it'll fall to below 30% of its original price.

I just don't think it's worth having a $2000 computer unless it's Jarvis from Iron Man :D

I think hardcore PC gamers spend a lot of money on hardware but very little on games - they tend to be cheaper than their console counterparts. Steams sales and bundles also help a lot in this department. On the other hand, console gamers don't pay much for their hardware but spend far more on their console games. Unless they wait for games to be discounted or pick them up used. You pretty much choose your poison, gaming is a costly hobby in the long run.

I own a PC worth $2,000 with Intel i7 processor and ridiculously overpriced Nvidia GTX Titan, but the question is this, is it worth the price?

What do you guys think about gaming PCs?

I use to upgrade my PC all the time. I stopped because it was getting overpriced. But that's the cool part about PC games you can turn down the graphics quality in the settings and you still can enjoy the game.

You just need to be thrifty and wait for the newest graphics cards come out. That's when you older models drop in prices. That's what I do. It's still superior then the PS4.

Or, just look at pre-assembled cheap systems over a site like ebay. Found this lappy running a quad at 1.9 and 8gb of ram /2gb onboard. Not bad for 375, allows me run mostly everything I chuck on it. Only high end MMOs do I have to turn down settings to play anything.

But for being able to interchange parts on a desktop, yeah it will get pricey fast. But at least you can constantly evolve the pieces and not have to wait next gen to next gen for consoles.

And yeah, I feel it's completely worth the money. You can find anything as a game online and more, and a lot of private shards of games that should have died out in like 1999 still going strong - can't find that with a console unless you go backwards in generation or have backwards compatibility with games ready to go.

Latest posts

Latest threads

Back