Is online trolling ruining video games?

Playing
Nintendo 2DS
I've seen tons of videos on youtube of people playing online multiplayer games, like COD, etc. And I here swearing, threats, people saying they are going to kill you in real life. Is this nonsense making games and gamers bad? I watch these videos to see what they are like and to study them. But shouldn't this be a rule for playing online? Trolling someone else with threats can get you banned.

I don't think trolling can ruin video games.

Let's take a look at Counter Strike. It's a rather shitty game compared to its competition, has an awful playerbase filled with trolls, people who curse, threaten, cheat, hack etc., and yet(!!!) it's one of the most played games to this day!

Trolls are everywhere. Even in real life you'll meet many trolls, rude people, idiots and jerks. You won't give up on life because of that, will ya?

Don't pay too much attention to morons, just enjoy your game :)

I mostly ignore all chat when playing online, except when I'm playing with my friends.

Yes and no - yes in that it certainly makes gaming less enjoyable at times and no in that as seen above most people just don't care enough. That said I personally dislike online gaming that includes chat function because I game as a form of relaxation and that stuff isn't especially relaxing in nature.

lol Remember when trolling was a thing people did live in person next to you at the arcade? That had to be so much more fufilling than what they have at their disposal now. At least when you were side-by-side they could nudge your elbows during combos. Oh, trolls, you will always have a place in the world.

Actually I just plain miss the live interaction between gamers back when co-op was the thing. Where have you gone co-op?! Le sigh.

Nope not at all.

When I first started gaming, I had really gross guys trying to talk to me because my gamertag was very girly. I just ignored them or I would block them and play offline. It's your choice as to whether or not you want to let that ruin your gaming experience. I have gotten a lot of really crude messages and I just chose to ignore it because I like the game I am playing and the threats mean nothing to me.

Esperahol said:
Actually I just plain miss the live interaction between gamers back when co-op was the thing. Where have you gone co-op?! Le sigh.
Do you remember the terrible decision to change the arcade side-by-side to one that faced the players across from each other with two separate screens? That helped with the downfall of arcades. That is along with online gaming through consoles. The latter might be a tad more to blame :unsure:

JoanMcWench said:
lol Remember when trolling was a thing people did live in person next to you at the arcade? That had to be so much more fufilling than what they have at their disposal now. At least when you were side-by-side they could nudge your elbows during combos. Oh, trolls, you will always have a place in the world.
Good times! :D
So many guys from my neighborhood started fights because of this hahaha
Every time someone would get close to the highscore, someone was there to troll in order to make him lose! :D
If you beat the high score back then, you were a real king! :D

Not really. It's only ruining it if you take the bate mate.

VjZarkK.png

Back when I was a kid. There was no internet, no online games. I would just go to my frineds house or they will come over to mine and we will game for half the day. reading Nintendo Power and using Game Genie for cheat codes. those were the Golden Days. Now kids who play COD online take the game way to far. It's just a game. Did you hear about that kid in Iowa, who tried to rape than killed his mom with a 22 Caliber riffle, Because she banned him playing COD because of his bad grades? I admit that I did buy one COD game for the first time. I've been playing the offline mode for awhile recording the cutscenes. than I decided to play online. I don't have a headset with a mic. I don't care for to get one. But I did enable chat to hear other people. Some of the stuff I heard was trolling between two other players. and I couldn't stop laughing. But back in the 80's & 90's. I remember waking up early to watch Video Power with Johnny Arcade. And I remember watching the Super Mario Bros. Super Show at 4:00 every thursday. Back then Gaming was a lot different. But compare the old school gaming from back in the day to gaming today is the same thing. It's still cool and enjoyable.

JoanMcWench said:
Do you remember the terrible decision to change the arcade side-by-side to one that faced the players across from each other with two separate screens? That helped with the downfall of arcades. That is along with online gaming through consoles. The latter might be a tad more to blame :unsure:
Yeah - god that sucked. I mean I liked being able to look over and accidentally on purpose reach over with the intent to screw. "What?! It was totally an accident dude!" Good times. Also I don't really see the endless appeal of online gaming outside of WOW or whatever. I mean come on.

I think that it could ruin it, but maybe not right now. It seems like everyone online likes to do it when they are playing. I mean normally it's just young boys, but not in some cases. Another thing that I really hate when I"m playing online is when people blast their music. I mean I don't think that everyone wants to listen to your rap song. I would just rather play and listen to my music. I do thinkt that this is a problem though.

Well, online trolling won't stop companies from releasing the next big FPS or MMORPG. Unfortunately, there is a group of gamers out there that is adamant of ruining the experience for others. Usually, they are either children or in their teens and bring their playground antics into the online gaming sphere. Since I'm not a huge online gamer, my exposure to them has been limited. But I know of others who can find them quite unbearable.

Latest posts

Latest threads

Back