Kickstarter games

Demon_skeith

Playing
Nintendo 64
So has anyone here been a big fan of Kickstarter games? The recent ones of Bloodstained and Yooka-Laylee have met their goals within 24 hours and other games like Shantae and Mighty no 9 will be coming out this year after a successful backing.

Do you support this or hate the idea?

I love crowd-funded ideas. It comes from fans, for fans to basically raise money so they can continue to enjoy the games in which they are good/love to play. I'm also a fan of seeing creativity shoot up through many different mediums now because of crowd-funded projects, where some of these projects may have never seen daylight due to back world locations or not enough people in-studio to handle something.

Thing is you need to be careful, not all games will make it and you may just lose money. I have supported up to 4 games now and can't wait to get them. Which the first one is shante I believe.

I love crowd-funded ideas. It comes from fans, for fans to basically raise money so they can continue to enjoy the games in which they are good/love to play. I'm also a fan of seeing creativity shoot up through many different mediums now because of crowd-funded projects, where some of these projects may have never seen daylight due to back world locations or not enough people in-studio to handle something.

I agree with you, but it's sad to see some developers not taking their commitments seriously. I don't really remember specifics right now, but I seem to remember Tim Schaefer from Brutal Legend and other games came into controversy over this kind of thing. If I recall correctly, a former associate spoke publicly about how he had serious money management issues.
And I've also read about other indie games where similar issues came to be.

Still, I think it's great that some creative people can get a real shot at accomplishing their ambitions thanks to a passionate community. We truly live in an unprecedented age.

I couldn't agree more about this being a real golden age in terms of the ability to turn ideas into reality in gaming. There are so many of these indie games that just don't have the broad appeal to sell hundreds of thousands of units but are still amazing games and will provide the audience who is into the concept with a much greater experience. For me when it comes to crowdfunding, I do admit that I am a bit wary when it comes to new developers. I'm not saying a company has to have a long track record but it's nice to look back at how they responded to feedback during alpha and beta stages and how long different games took to be finished. I realize that everyone has to start somewhere and it may seem unfair not to support new talent but given the fact that some times companies in the past have met their goals and either put out an unfinished game or nothing at all, I get a little gun shy.

I couldn't agree more about this being a real golden age in terms of the ability to turn ideas into reality in gaming. There are so many of these indie games that just don't have the broad appeal to sell hundreds of thousands of units but are still amazing games and will provide the audience who is into the concept with a much greater experience. For me when it comes to crowdfunding, I do admit that I am a bit wary when it comes to new developers. I'm not saying a company has to have a long track record but it's nice to look back at how they responded to feedback during alpha and beta stages and how long different games took to be finished. I realize that everyone has to start somewhere and it may seem unfair not to support new talent but given the fact that some times companies in the past have met their goals and either put out an unfinished game or nothing at all, I get a little gun shy.

I get where you're coming from. It doesn't need to be from a crowfunded game, but it happens all the time in indie games... they release Early Access and it remains that way indefinitely. Not that they don't patch it, but it feels like they're losing direction with their games. One such example for me is Prison Architect. Love that game, but it's changed so much since I started playing it and I didn't start very early by any means. It's been out for a long while now and still a beta. I don't even know where they're headed with it.

I think keeping it professional really separates your image as a developer, from the amateurs to that nice little indie studio coming up in the world of gaming; the one to watch.

More or less Kickstarter is for those with no financial backing hence the name, so I'm relatively ..."ehhh" on giving money to these causes because of the oftentimes failure to commit/reach the level they promised indeed.

But if you don't try, you'll never know. And if you don't know, you'll never experience some games. I've played a bunch of KS games I thoroughly enjoyed as well as ones that failed that I wished for - just like the next guy.

However, the concept of raising money through fundraising through a crowd is genius. It's just like those 5k dinner plate rich people parties for the government/higher ups, but for us plebeians!

Latest posts

Latest threads

Back