Literally found a 3DS

2hitCombo

Playing
Nintendo DS
It the first model. Left behind on a table at a restaurant =D

Anyone know how I can do a master reset? I found info telling me to format memory but it is asking for parental controls which I obviously do not have. Will I really need to call Nintendo? Will they make me show proof I bought it? I was thinking of going with I bought it second hand..

Thoughts?

I know you don't want to hear this, but... this isn't yours and you are effectively stealing it. You should return it to the restaurant and try to get it back to the owners. Someone paid serious cash for this thing, and what you're doing is just really rather skeevy. How would you feel if this happened to you?

I agree, this is the right thing to do.

I would return the 3DS if I was in your position, however the choice is yours. I remember when I left my PSP on a mall bench by accident, that was a very sad day for me. I never saw it again after that day and I learned to always check for my things.

Yeah I definitely respect your opinions. We actually sat there and ate our dinner and they didn't come back. If they did I would have given it up no problem. So it really sucks for them but if they didn't notice after so long I doubt it is worth too much to them, not matter the actual cost. and I am not about to snooze on it and let some busboy keep it.

Cruel world I tell you.

Also I have been there before. I left my wallet at a table once. Noticed as soon as I got in my back. Went back and it was gone. I was upset but I know how the world works. I know that if you slip you fall right? Yeah the nice and noble thing to do is your civic duty and track down the owner. But it doesn't really happen. Depends on where you come from and what you've experienced I guess.

Anyway, I unlocked the thing thru Nintendo. Still waiting for a Black Friday bundle kind of deal. Both my wife and I have wanted 3ds for a while so I plan on getting her the XL and keeping the one we found.

Don't blame it on the cruelty of the world. The world did not take the kid's 3DS, you did.

As a guy who recently lost my 3ds, I gotta say you're a huge scum bag. It's not your property and the fact that you're not even making the slightest attempt to return it is sad. Nobody here cares about you getting your black friday bundle deal. If you and your wife really wanted a 3ds maybe you should work hard so that you have enough money to buy one instead of steal it. I hope you get caught and the rightful owner gets their system returned to them or you realize what a screwed up thing you've done and you come to your senses and turn it into the restaurant. Imagine if you ever got an XL for your wife and it was misplaced and stolen by a jerk like you. Grow up and do the right thing.

Understood. Again, I disagree with the fact that it was stolen. I found it. Again, if I ever left something behind, which I have (see wallet story above) I would ultimately blame myself. If I was mugged it would be a different story.

I respect your point of views though.

I found one also and want to return it to its owner. the battery is dead and I wouldn't know what to do even if I could turn it on. I need advice.

I would have asked for the manager and then proceeded to see if they could hold on it in some sort of lost and found. I'm sorry but I don't agree with what you did and I really don't think that even though they didn't know at first that it was ok...

Hmm...I don't feel like 2hitCombo stole this 3DS. Even though, LITERALLY, it was taken without right or permission. Seems harsh.

Could he have returned it to the restaurant? Yes. Is it possible the patrons would call back? It is. Could it happen that the establishment does not return it to said customer? Yep, that's possible too.

I feel like if there is anything that could help you contact these people who actually own the 3DS within the 3DS, you should. Otherwise, you now seem to be the owner. I assume the reset is asking for a parental code?

In your position, I'd report it to the bartender or shop-owner, leave them my phone number, but take the device with me.
They'd probably just keep it for themselves.

If the person who lost it came back, the shop employees could give that person your phone and you'd make a person very happy.

You chose to keep it. I won't say you're a scumbag, or you're wrong for doing so. I'll just say I'd done it differently.

Let me put it like this - if we're looking at the realm of possibilities then positive ones are as likely as negative ones. As such the action taken can't be based on these possibilities, but should be based on the morally correct thing to do. And the morally correct thing to do is to give the 3DS back or at least make it available. After that - whatever happens will happen. At the very least he would have done the correct thing and that's what is important. I mean seriously I once returned a wallet I found in a rent-a-car using my own money to post it. Like I have no sympathy at all.

averus said:
In your position, I'd report it to the bartender or shop-owner, leave them my phone number, but take the device with me.
They'd probably just keep it for themselves.

If the person who lost it came back, the shop employees could give that person your phone and you'd make a person very happy.

You chose to keep it. I won't say you're a scumbag, or you're wrong for doing so. I'll just say I'd done it differently.
I agree with that 100%, averus.

I found it harsh to go at this person and use personal past experiences to solidify the feeling. Chastising and finger wagging in a situation you were not present for. Would I have done things differently? Yes. Does that make 2hitCombo a poor child's console thief? No.

See the problem I have with this position is that you're trying to play it off like everyone is being mean to some poor little scab, but he's not a poor little scab - he's a thief. He took something he found without even pretending to care about the original owner - I mean I've left behind wallets, cell phones, Gameboys, and actual cash... and luckily I've gotten most of that back because the people who found it weren't this jerk. I mean he's asking how to reset the thing and like doing a celebratory dance - I am under no obligation to pat him on the back and pretend toward ambivalence - he's a scab. Saying that is not being judgmental - it's what it is and as you've notice he hasn't come back anyway.

Personally.. I think what this person is doing is wrong. I mean he should have left a name and a number behind so there was a chance that this person could get his/her 3DS back. I am not going to call you anything.. I am just saying that what you did is wrong and I would have done something differently considering I have had a number of things stolen from me in the past.

Esperahol said:
See the problem I have with this position is that you're trying to play it off like everyone is being mean to some poor little scab, but he's not a poor little scab - he's a thief. He took something he found without even pretending to care about the original owner - I mean I've left behind wallets, cell phones, Gameboys, and actual cash... and luckily I've gotten most of that back because the people who found it weren't this jerk. I mean he's asking how to reset the thing and like doing a celebratory dance - I am under no obligation to pat him on the back and pretend toward ambivalence - he's a scab. Saying that is not being judgmental - it's what it is and as you've notice he hasn't come back anyway.
Once again: We do not have a whole story here. We have a half booty story here. Regardless of what I've left behind in the annals of leaving things behind I always end up blaming myself. Why? It was my fault.

I have no intention of blaming this person for keeping it. I have no intention of trying to add to the story with whimsical tales of a sad little orphan girl owning the thing. I also can only revert to my initial (and complimentary to averus) attitude about this: Would I have done things differently? Yes. That does not inherently make me 'better'.

I won't get any fans for making this post, -but- if I were you I would look at the games downloaded on the game. Like, if there's a bunch of Skylanders stuff, obvious things most children really play, I -might- consider returning it, maybe. Its heart breaking to be a kid and to lose your precious gameboy. On the other hand, the world is a cruel, mean place where capatilsim and Darwinian law thrive over everything else so by taking the kid's 3ds for your self you are teaching him a vital life lesson that every kid needs to learn, sooner or later: Take good care of your stuff and don't trust the world to not take advantage of a freebie. Tough but true.

The kid will be sad, but mom and dad will either buy him another one or he will take up a paper route or sell cookie or something for money. See? Because of you he will learn the value of a dollar!

I would only consider any remorse at all if it was a kid (as in pre-teen)'s 3ds. If you're an adult you should know better than to leave your expensive toys laying around, sorry. Call me a scumbag and sociopath, I know if this were a cartoon or family sitcom the right thing to do would be to return the thing but real life doesn't work like that.

Carpe diem, OP. Enjoy your 3Ds ;)

You should not have taken it for yourself honestly. How you felt when you lost your PSP is how someone else is feeling now because of your actions. You definitely should have left it with a manager so the customer could have returned to pick it up.

Unfortunately though there are a lot of people like this out there. It's a lesson learned to take better care of your stuff. I lost a camera and one of my favorite toys when I was little when I left it somewhere and I don't know where it was. Life is hard and you have to take care of your stuff.

Latest threads

Back