Playing
Wii U
KH6VUqE.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=TWnmi0JL5h0

Mario & Sonic at the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games

Release Date: November 15, 2013

Developer / Publisher: Sega Sports Japan, Nintendo

Platforms: Wii U Exclusive

Price: $49.99-eShop / $59.99-retail (retail comes bundled with a Wiimote Plus controller)
-----

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpNjiFt7Xgw&feature=player_detailpage

This is the first "Mario & Sonic Olympic Games" game to not have a handheld version. No 3DS version is coming. This is also the 4th Mario & Sonic Olympic Games game. There was the "Olympic Games" (for the Wii and DS), "Olympic Winter Games" (for the Wii and DS), "London 2012 Olympic Games" (for the Wii and 3DS), and now, the "Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games" (just for the Wii U).

Besides being the first Mario & Sonic Olympic Games game to not have a handheld version along side the console version, it is also the first Mario & Sonic Olympic Games game to have an online feature, to play against other players from around the world. Which is why I think that it skipped the 3DS version, so they could put their full focus onto the Wii U version.

There will be 16 Olympic Events in this game, and 8 Dream Events, as well.

The 16 Olympic Events are:
Alpine Siing
Ski Jumping
Snowboarding Cross
Snowboard Slopestyle
Freestyle Skiiing
Skating
Skiing
Hockey
4-man Bobsleigh
Bobsleigh
Curling
Figure Skating
Biathlon
freestyle Ski Cross
Short Track - Speed Skating 1000m
and more (I will add them as I find them out)

The 8 Dream Events are:
Winter Sports Championship Race (Skiing, Ice Skating, Bobsleigh and Snowboard) (set in - Mini Russia Island)
Dream Bobsleigh (set in - Speed Highway)
Dream Snowboard Cross (set in - Mushroom Bridge)
Dream Ice Hockey (set in - Delfino Plaza)
Dream Figure Skating (set in - Bowser's Castle)
Dream Curling (set in - Green Hill)
Dream Snow Machine Fight
and more (I will add them as I find them out)

Winning Medals in any event in the game will not only win you 'personal' medals in your copy of the game, but it also wins points for your home country in the online rankings. Therefore, you really are playing for your country in this game. Which is what the Olympics is all about. So that is a neat feature of this game.

Here is a list of the playable characters...

Team Mario -
1 - Mario
2 - Luigi
3 - Princess Peach
4 - Princess Daisy
5 - Donkey Kong
6 - Yoshi
7 - Wario
8 - Waluigi
9 - Bowser
10 - Bowser Jr.

Team Sonic -
1 - Sonic the Hedgehog
2 - Miles "Tails" Prower
3 - Knuckles the Echidna
4 - Amy Rose
5 - Shadow the Hedgehog
6 - Blaze the Cat
7 - Vector the Crocodile
8 - Silver the Hedgehog
9 - Doctor Eggman
10 - Metal Sonic

And, one more... your Mii. You can play as any of your created Mii's.

Jmzdjbt.png

The presentation in these Mario/Sonic games is always so cheap, I sometimes wonder if this series is produced by robots.

I've only played 2 other "Olympic" games before. I say "Olympic" in quotations because one was just a demo. Mario & Sonic London games, for the 3DS. Just the demo tho. And the other was the ESPN International Track & Field 2000, for the Playstation 2. Not quite an "Olympic" game, but it has some Olympic events in it. And that's it. Those are they only "Olympic" games that I have played. So, compared to those, this game doesn't look that bad. Of course, I can't really compare it to much. But... yeah...

Latest threads

Back