Metal Gear Solid 4 on the PS3 - did it live up to the hype?

Damien Lee

Playing
Super Famicom
Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots was a very controversial title upon it's release. As both a PS3 exclusive and Kojima Production title it garnered much hype which some don't feel it lived up to. While the gameplay and controls were improved significantly from previous iterations, it did suffer from overly long cut-scenes and a crazy installation process. Practically, each stage had to be installed before it could be played. The ending was also not what most gamers were expecting either.

Personally, I loved the game even with some of it's shortcomings. It certainly didn't reach the high-point of the series which was Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater. But there was enough innovation and fresh ideas to make it a compelling installment within the MGS universe.

What was your experience with MGS4 like - worth the hype, or not?

I barely played any of it, but I can say I did watch a bit from my brother playing it. He got a PS3 just so he could play that game and even though he regrets that decision I can say from what I've seen of it it looks like a fantastic game with an awesome story. I plan on getting a copy of it some day.

Certainly, purchasing a PS3 just to play MGS4 would have been disappointing considering that it was such a short-lived experience. Fortunately for me, I bought the PS3 predominantly for Valkyria Chronicles which still remains the best game on the system in my opinion. Metal Gear Solid 4 is going for bargain bin prices these days so it's worth picking up. You could even complete it in a matter of days just before Metal Gear Solid 5 comes out, if you're planning on picking that up too.

I think it did. It wasn't as good as previous versions, but it was definitely playable and enjoyable.

Latest threads

Back