Miyamoto wants to use Retro Studios more

BanjoKazooie

From
Pennsylvania USA
Playing
Nintendo 64
“Certainly we do feel that we want to leverage the capabilities of Retro Studios further, because as we’ve seen from the Metroid games, they’re a very capable studio.”

Miyamoto seems optimistic about Retro Studios and their capabilities. Notice how he specifically mentions the Metroid series and not Donkey Kong, could this be hinting at something? What are your thoughts?

Source

He's just saying that Retro did well with Metroid Prime, so Nintendo should be more proactive and use them more. Donkey Kong Country Returns was not a blockbuster title compared to MP.

To be honest, it's difficult for Nintendo to use Retro or any studio that's not located in Japan, or at the very least Seattle. Managing developers remotely is HARD, and Miyamoto is not a the age where he's going to make a weekly flight to Texas and sit in on team meetings, like he does with EAD and other internal groups. There's only so much you can get done over Skype.

The best Nintendo can do is assign Retro a long-term project and sort of roll with it.

I actually enjoyed returns more than the primes. The primes completely took metroid in a different direction that I didn't enjoy, very similar to nuts and bolts was to the original Banjo Kazooie games. Actually a little worse than N&B though. I'm excited to see if Retro will make their own IP though, I think it could be a massive success. I agree that it is hard for Miyamoto to look over them like the EAD groups, but I think that is a good thing. It lets Retro be creative and not be smothered by the Big N. Although they do have one of the big Devs from Japan that is with them that helps them keep a quality that we all learn to expect from Nintendo games.

Donkey Punch said:
To be honest, it's difficult for Nintendo to use Retro or any studio that's not located in Japan, or at the very least Seattle. Managing developers remotely is HARD, and Miyamoto is not a the age where he's going to make a weekly flight to Texas and sit in on team meetings, like he does with EAD and other internal groups. There's only so much you can get done over Skype.
This of course is the answer to why Nintendo likes to mostly keep things in house. It is easier to manage resources and keep the title within the mythos gamers have grown to love if you can be right there to go, "Dude... this sucks." That said I wouldn't mind seeing Nintendo tapping studios like Retro or others more in the future.

I thought Retro did a fantastic job with Donkey Kong Country Returns. Also, while I really liked Metroid Other M's gameplay, I admit it needed the Metroid Prime reverence that Retro applied (especially to the narrative). I'd like to see what they can so with other IPs and projects.

It makes sense, Retro Studios are a top-tier developer who have made great exclusives for Nintendo. Their Metroid titles are superb but I also enjoyed Metroid: Other M from Team Ninja who gave their own unique take on the franchise. I think Miyamoto needs to continue working with Retro Studios while fostering stronger relationships with other developers. Team Ninja, Treasure & Platinum Games are all highly talented developers and it would be nice to see a healthy dose of exclusives from them too.

Latest threads

Back