New Super Mario Bros 3 - Rumors, requests, and speculation

Donkey Punch

Playing
NES
Now that NSMB2 has been out for a while, what do people expect from the next portable NSMB title?

As much as I enjoyed New Super Mario Bros on the Wii, the original DS game is still unbeatable. Based on the strong stales, Nintendo is more likely than not working on the next portable installment, whether it's on 3DS or the next-gen handheld system.

So what do you guys want in a portable 2D Mario game that hasn't made it into the first 2 games? Does NSMB3 need more suits, levels, enemies? More Bowser family members?

P.S. By the way, I am not talking about the homebrew NSMB3. As much as I like indie stuff, fan-made levels have never approached Nintendo's own in originality and gameplay balance.

I know this may sound a bit strange, but I'd love it if they made a game like NSMB but starring Wario and Waluigi, it would be a perfect excuse for Nintendo to come up with new characters the 'bad' version of all the characters we know, with evil Toad, evil Yoshi and evil Princesses. It would be a new concept for them to play with and I'm sure many like me would like to play something like that.

What made New Super Mario Bros successful was that instead of gimmicks, Nintendo focused on bringing back the core Mario gameplay that went on a 15-year hiatus and updating it for the 21st century. Supertight controls, flawless presentation, polished soundtrack, graphics down to the pixel (well, polygon, but you wouldn't notice). And Nintendo succeeded beyond anyone's expecations, because in case you didn't know, New Super Mario Bros is the best-selling stand-alone Mario game of all time. Can you say "winning formula?"

So on the one hand, I am against adding Wario or any other gimmicks, but on the other hand, I realize that you can't have the same success twice. NSMB was an instant classic and masterpiece, and you have to move in a different direction in order for the game to evolve.

Latest threads

Back