Newbs vs Noobs

Playing
Nintendo 2DS
Anyone that calls someone else a Newb online and spells it like this --> Noob. Is the real Newb.

I call myself noob when I am one (just start playing a game etc.).
I don't think it's an offensive word. It's just slang for "newbie", so why not use it? I don't even get insulted when someone calls me a noob :D

I don't think you understand the point that I'm making. it's spelled Newb. NOT noob. only little kids spell Newb as in noob. I guess because it sounds like boob.

Well, to be honest, newb isn't really a word either (as far as I know) so what's the difference. I know plenty of older gamers who use and spell the word noob jokingly :)

then they're Newbs for spelling Newb as in noob. I take it because it sounds like boob. And they haven't grown up yet.

Noob Noob Noob Noob Boob.

Who cares.?

I never call anyone "newb" anyway.. so therefore I don't care how it's spelled.

Averus and Iceskater have a point there, NintendoCosmos. It really doesn't matter how you spell the word since it isn't actually a real word. Perhaps its time for some condescending actions.

I have never heard anyone else use that spelling before for newb or noob or boob or N(0)(0)b$ n00b.

I personally like saying newbie because that just means your new to the franchise, not that your new to gaming in general.

Difference?

nOObs - A troll that needs to go away.
newb - Someone who is need to the field... also known as prankbait.

Esperahol is quite correct. The two slang terms have very similar meanings, but there is a key distinction between them and they are thus not quite truly equivalent and interchangeable.

Wikipedia's entry on the term "Newbie" clarifies the matter rather succinctly (the key portion regarding the distinction is bolded):

"Newbie, newb, noob, or n00b is a slang term for a novice or newcomer, or somebody inexperienced in any profession or activity. Contemporary use can particularly refer to a beginner or new user of computers, often concerning Internet activity, such as online gaming or Linux use. It can have derogatory connotations, but is also often used for descriptive purposes only, without a value judgement.

Coming from an oral tradition, the term has variant spellings. Among alternative forms are newby, nubie, and "newbee."

Two related terms are "newb", a beginner who is willing to learn; and "noob" (often spelt "n00b", "nuub" or "nub"), a derogatory name for an inexperienced or under-talented hacker or gamer, who lacks the determination to learn."

The Urban Dictionary provides a few humourous examples of the differences between gaming with a newb vs gaming with a noob, which essentially boils down to attitude. (A warning about obscene language on The Urban Dictionary goes without saying, of course!)

Given its Wikipedia definition above, I suspect that "noob" developed as an amalgamation of "newbie" and "boob." I.e. "Dude, you're a newbie and you're being a real boob (read: jackass) about it! You're a noob!"

Putting a 1337-speak spin on it then gives us the "n00b" spelling.

I've only seen it spell noob. I think that it could be spelled any of the ways though. I think that that most of the noob spelling comes from teh younger kids. I mean the ones who like to sit online and teabag people all the time. That was the first time that I heard it.

I've seen Noob, Newb, nOOb, and plenty more. It all boils down to one thing; insulting someone else because you feel you're more experienced and you expected them to be equally experienced as well. Not usually the case is with most random encounters so you get people spouting off those insults.

And yeah, they're generally the teabaggers. It's annoying, but it's just a part of game life. They insult and teabag to get a rise out of you. The people I don't understand are the people who are losing horribly and still insult and flame. It does you no good to be doing the worst on your team and then fling insults around. Just makes you look like a NEWB, NOOB!

I've seen Noob, Newb, nOOb, and plenty more. It all boils down to one thing; insulting someone else because you feel you're more experienced and you expected them to be equally experienced as well. Not usually the case is with most random encounters so you get people spouting off those insults.

And yeah, they're generally the teabaggers. It's annoying, but it's just a part of game life. They insult and teabag to get a rise out of you. The people I don't understand are the people who are losing horribly and still insult and flame. It does you no good to be doing the worst on your team and then fling insults around. Just makes you look like a NEWB, NOOB!

Haha you know, that is very true. I mean for the most part, its pretty hard to be called a noob when you know that you are good. There are games that I play online and sometimes the people are just too good that it's nor fair. I'm not a noob and know how to play the games.

Most people just tend to do it to get a rise out of you - so don't play into it, and feed the trolls. Don't feed them. They're hungry? Let them feed off some other poor soul. You're anti-troll today! /armor on

Latest posts

Latest threads

Back