Nintendo 64 Doesn't Work?

Roseary

Playing
Nintendo 64
Game consoles like the Nintendo 64 are fairly old now and will not always work with us due to its old age. For that reason I thought it would be good to give some tips on getting that old console to work properly.

Problem, Game console turns on, but there is no picture?

Tips: - Make sure you have placed the game all the way in (On my Nintendo I often have to press down harder to get my game in).

- Try another game, the problem might not be the system itself. If another game works try cleaning out the cartridge of the original game, most commonly people will just blow the dirt out of it (Technically you are not supposed to do this, so that is up to you), but you can also buy a Game Cartridge Cleaning Kit if desperate. What I like to do is get a Q Tip and use it lightly on the cartridge.

- If the other game did not work double check your channel (Is your TV set up to the right channel for viewing?). Make sure the wires are set up properly and placed all the way in (My wires are old and require some attention to connect just right to my TV.) Check if the console is dusty, try cleaning out any dirt (Carefully).

-Last ditch effort try this: Unplug controllers, take out the game, jumper/expac then turn it on for a few second (10 - 15) afterwards turn it off. Add just the jumper/expac and repeat the process (on for a few seconds, turn off) Put game in now and power on for another 10 seconds. Now try to actually play something.

- If it is working, but the game is freezing; Try replacing the RAM/Expac, especially if it is not a Nintendo Brand (some other types are more likely to overheat).

I am wondering if my N64 does just 'give up the ghost' then I know I can at least get Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask on disc to play on the Gamecube or Wii, but how about my Banjo-Kazooie and Tooie games? I never actually see RARE games anymore. And I do really love my Banjo-kazooie and Tooie games...along with my LoZ games and a very few others that I have for my Gamecube, they are some of my favorite games.

hoodoowytch said:
I am wondering if my N64 does just 'give up the ghost' then I know I can at least get Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask on disc to play on the Gamecube or Wii, but how about my Banjo-Kazooie and Tooie games? I never actually see RARE games anymore. And I do really love my Banjo-kazooie and Tooie games...along with my LoZ games and a very few others that I have for my Gamecube, they are some of my favorite games.
This is hardware troubleshooting topic, so not the right place for this. Also, you seem to have posted the same thing about Banjo Kazooie in several topics. If you're doing that to rack up posts, please don't. Duplicates get deleted anyway.

crunchyg said:
This is hardware troubleshooting topic, so not the right place for this. Also, you seem to have posted the same thing about Banjo Kazooie in several topics. If you're doing that to rack up posts, please don't. Duplicates get deleted anyway.
Oh dear, no. Sorry that wasn't my intention at all. I wasn't trying to post duplicates of anything either. I'll be more careful and pay more attention to how and where I post things crunchyg. *embarrassed face*

I just sometimes forget the posts I have made. *embarrassed face*

This is very helpful- there is of course a tendency for older consoles to act up a bit more. I've never really been savvy at fixing them, but having a few solid pointers and things to keep in mind is a great help :). Thank you!

My first thought when reading the title of the thread was "Nintendo 64s stop working??" but you right, they are a pretty old piece of technology and are bound to not be working or having similar problems by now. These are some pretty good tips as well. I'm sure they will come in handy as many of the same things happened with my Genesis back in the day.

This thread really offers some good advice. I am thankful that my console has not stopped working yet and I am still able to play it as often as I used to. Thanks Again for the information it may come in useful in the future.

Great tips, thanks for the info!

I wanted to know if blowing in the game or console was a bad idea, I've even heard some people passe a q-tip at the base of the game (where the slot is - not sure how to call it). Sometimes my game won't load and I have this habit of blowing in the game and the N64 slot. I was wondering if this did any damage to the game/console or if it was completely safe for these aging games?

Is there an other way to clear the dust that can accumulate in the console?
-LoyalServant

Huh. I don't know but I always blew into my cartridges/console!:confused:

I did too, but I also read somewhere that it's not good, but I could never find the reason why. I mean, wouldn't it be more aggressive if you tried to take out the dust with a blow drier or stick anything inside the cartridge/console to try to clean it?

Google has spoken

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/How+to+clean+the+Nintendo+64+cartridge+slot/1588

http://caggames.weebly.com/how-to-clean-the-nintendo-64-cartridge-slot.html

Apparently canned air is ok but blowing into the cartridge/slot isn't? I'm more inclined to say that the second link makes more sense because I've cleaned game components with alcohol before. The first method looks like it should be ok for upkeep but I think the second one should be like a monthly/bi-monthly cleaning method.

Thanks a lot for the informative links! I think you're right, it doesn't make sense I mean blowing isn't that strong lol

Put a Killer Instinct II Gold cart into a working system and got no video or sound out. Put a working Turok cart in and also got nothing. Put my backup system on and tried the Turok. It worked as expected. Tried the Killer Instinct cart, got nothing and now I have two down systems. I didn't think a cart could kill a console, but apparently it can. I opened the cart and there is no evidence of tampering inside (no obvious shorts, so foul play is out).

Well for some reason I am having trouble buying the fact that a game can destroy a console, because that has to be very rare if it happens at all. That is certainly a bummer, especially having two systems down. Sometimes with the older machines, though, it just comes to a time when you need to say goodbye and find another home for it.

Doesn't Nintendo have a lifetime warranty? Just for shits and giggles call Nintendo and see if they can replace it.

Hello. Today I was playing Super Mario 64 when I accidentally unplugged the memory expansion when fiddling. The screen went red, green then blue, so in a panic I turned my system off. It no longer turns on. Please help. i am really worried. none of these work.
expansion-pak.jpg

Latest posts

Latest threads

Back