Nintendo NX Feature List

Professor E. Gadd

Playing
Wii U
With speculation rampant about Nintendo's soon-to-be released console here are the features that Nintendo will incorporate into Nintendo NX, if it's serious about truly competing this time around.

Latest Technology

We are all tired of Nintendo's consoles getting last-generation technology, and I'm not just talking about graphics. Give us faster wireless (hello, 802.11ac?) and newest ports (USB 3.1 type C, I'm looking at you). While you're at it, get rid of outdated charging ports on the controllers too. I probably wasn't the only one whose reaction was "WTF!!!" when it was discovered that the Wii U GamePad and the Wii U Pro Controller use totally different ports for charging. So yeah, make all the charting ports the same, Nintendo, please (again, USB type C).

Robust Online Gaming

Hey Nintendo, it's time to catch up with Xbox and Sony. Online gaming has been a joke in both Wii and Wii U when you compare them to what truly can be done in today's age, and of course Xbox Live is the best example. The good news is that Nintendo is finally warming up to digital downloads, and that should pave the way for a better overall online service on Nintendo NX. That includes both shopping AND playing online.

An Improved OS and User Interface

Wii U's OS and the Xbox Dashboard look like they were released at least a few decades apart. Nintendo has so many talented developers--so why can't it assign a group of 20 people to build an operating system that will match the greatness of Nintendo's games? We are waiting for a rock-solid operating system with an intuitive, user friendly interface on Nintendo NX.

Innovative Games

We should't give Nintendo a hard time with this one, because this is one department where they have always come through for their fans. Expect unique, groundbreaking, and FUN games to be available on Nintendo NX. Of course, we are going to see Mario, Zelda, Metroid and Kirby on Nintendo's future console, but there are guaranteed to be new IPs that will quickly become fan favorites. Can't wait for the games!

Gimmick-Free

Can we just have a video game console without gimmicks this generation, please? No swinging remotes, no clunky "portable" screens, and no funny business. Just give us a traditional console with awesome games, and we will be happy.

Power-Saving

Devices designed with low power consumption in mind are becoming a major trend in both computing and personal electronics. Look how thin the current lineup of TVs is. Look at the 2015 Macbook. Look at every other device around us, and you'll realize that device size will continue to shrink and power consumption will continue to decrease. Let's hope Nintendo doesn't give us a power-hungry system like an Xbox One or a PS4.

Modern Design

This goes hand-in-hand with the previous feature, but Nintendo NX should have a small footprint and look like a modern video-game system. I could even see it look very tiny, like a Roku or an Apple TV. Nintendo systems have always been beautifully designed, and we hope that Nintendo NX carries the iconic Nintendo look that so many of us have grown to love.

Last edited by a moderator:
Latest Technology

I think obvious we will see a push with VR, though the other 2 are going with VR programs now so Nintendo will need to be more innovative to not feel, again, they released a console that started in 3rd place. Obviously going to be better graphics and faster processor and so on. I have no idea what else they could include though, but we will wait and see.

Robust Online Gaming

Well here is the kicker, you want Nintendo better online gaming will mean.....paying for service. The other 2 have it and Nintendo if they do make more dedicated servers will head that direction to. Though with all stupid service makes you not want 2 consoles...

An Improved OS and User Interface

This we will see. Nintendo I think will always have a weird interface only cause they tend to keep things light and kid friendly. Xbox and PS4 are kid friendly but it has that edge or whatever you want to call it.

Innovative Games

This is what Nintendo needs more than anything else. Not just Innovative Games but games in general. If it means getting companys to make exclusives for their consoles, when exclusives not owned by one of the big "3" are dying out. Mario and Zelda are great, but you can only release those every 2-3 years and need more games in between. I never bought the Wii U just cause all the good games I wanted on it are on my PS as well. Just give me games that makes me want your system.

Gimmick-Free

Nintendo is going to try some gimmick. If that gimmick is VR with weird gloves or something to feel like you are the character or something else. Like I said I think NX might be primary a VR system so just think of what other gimmicks that can be used with it. Nintendo cannot make a console like the PS4 or Xbox and just give us better graphics and stuff because ppl will ask "wtf?"

Power-Saving

To me this isn't really an issue for Nintendo. They been the lowest on all the boards on power consumption. Actually they are pretty low now at something around 50 watts while playings and lower to do other things. The other 2 are doing 3x as much.

Modern Design

This I am not too worried about. Design of a consoles never mattered to me since I never put stuff on them or really around them. But then again lately we been getting basically bricks. Maybe do something like that modded console in the other thread and make it look like a classic Nintendo controller. A turns on and off the system and B releases a hard copy of a game if you use it, the directional buttons can be just a light to show if on, off, or standby.

and please let me seamlessly move all these cool downloads/games into NX. i put a lot of time and $ into my wii u and really enjoy it

I think this is going to be Nintendo's last chance at trying to be competitive on the home gaming console side of the business. They just can't keep up with the latest technology to stay competitive. They should just stick to portable gaming and let the the other hairy gorillas have the home divisions. They have a strong hold on the portable side of things. Time for them to stick to what is making them money. From a business stand point, that would make the most sense.

I personally hope they keep the Wii U gamepad connected with the NX, I still feel it has a lot of use to it (Specially for RPG type games) and just needs more love.

I also want the NX just to be something that goes above the Sony and MS consoles, the swinging wii remote might have been silly but kept Nintendo afloat.

Latest threads

Back