Nintendo NX having cartridges

Hmm, you kind of talk like releasing a new console at this point is their only option pwarbi. I might disagree.

They could have:

1. Made the Wii U an even better deal.

2. Started selling more versions of it like with upgraded storage.

3. Created a new concept similar to what they did with Amiibos.

4. Made software which allowed a second Gamepad and sold extra Gamepads.

The possibilities are endless.

Plus for all we know, if it's a hybrid, it could cut into their 3DS sales.

That being said, overall I might agree with you, but I still think they might lose a few customers out of this for selling a console so early. There is a potential to gain many, but the possibility of losing a few.

Last edited:
Wii U is dead my friend. It's too late for that. Wii U has not lowered price because it would lose money.

^ You're right. But can we at least put it in a boat and set fire to it? I think setting fire to something would make us all feel better :).

Anyway, I'm really excited for cartridges. I just hope the Virtual Console of the NX is pretty good, even starting out. Hopefully it will have 3DS games?

Last edited:
While I can see there a more positives than negatives when it comes to cartridges over discs, it still seems to me as though Nintendo were looking for a novelty aspect, something that would make the console stand out, they weren't doing it necessarily because of those points.

Installing, downloading and saving a game from a cloud server is the way that consoles are heading these days in my opinion, and I just think that Nintendo choosing cartridges instead if this method night be a decision that they end up regretting.
A lot of people still like physical games. If you don't have high speed internet you can't download a 60GB game, and you can't resell a digital game.

Hell, Microsoft almost made Xbox One games non-transferrable so you couldn't even resell the disk versions. All of you that like to resell games after you're done with them would've been stuck holding onto your old games.

The NX will support both cartridge and download versions, however the NX base model will not include a hard drive as it's not needed (making the console cheaper). I don't know if Nintendo will make a version that uses an internal hard drive or if we will have to stick to using usb externals.

Nintendo realized that the Wii U was sort of dead a few years ago, but they have explicitly chosen to not pull a Sega and launch it's replacement shortly after. I'm content with the number of games made for the Wii U (even the remakes I never finished). Plus Nintendo might launch the handheld NX version first to replace the 3DS and launch the console version a few years later.

I don't think Nintendo had much of a choice but to release it as soon as possible, as they're haemorrhaging money at the moment and need to keep up with the others.
No they are not. They are making profit. Financially they are just fine. Kinda in better shape than Sony overall. Wii U makes a tiny amount of profit and while sales are low, The thing isn't hurting them at all. The Wii U is just not helping them either. 3DS makes money. The attach rate to Wii U is so high that also brings in a a good amount and amiibo are doing very well.

Ok, well 2015 was the first time since 2012 that they haven't made a loss, so while they have stopped losing money, if you look at a 5 year period shall we say, they're worth less now than they was 5 years ago, put it that way.

First post :).

Been a huge Nintendo fanboy over the years, but i skipped over the WiiU (and glad i did). There was a lack of software initially and I was uncomfortable with the concept of the controller, specifically having to switch focus from the TV to the controller.

I'm actually hopeful and interested in the NX. I like the idea of going back to cartridges (not just cause im old enough to remember using them).... but they'd be cheaper than BluRay disks, take up much less space and lighter (cheaper to ship around for Nintendo), fast load times, durability, and 'writability' (if enabled).

But at the end of the day, it's all about the games. Launching with a Zelda game of the scope and magnitude we saw at E3 is enough for me, for now. I just hope they don't muck it up with a bad controller, or something which would detract from the gaming experience.

Cheers

Last edited:
Wii U to me is the best console they had in a long while

For me, it's their worst.
-lack of software across the board
-overly complicated controller (i think the GCN controller was their best traditional controller, and the Wiimote being the best overall)

In fact, i think they should have kept iterating with the Wiimote, making it more accurate, versatile, ergonomic, etc.

You simply cannot control all games with a Wiimote, it doesn't have enough buttons and triggers. Skyward sword heavily relied on motion controls, and it was partially hated by many people for it.

The Gamepad is literally just a standard controller with a touchscreen in the middle. Of all the complaints about it, saying it's complicated is a little unusual.

For me, it's their worst.
-lack of software across the board
-overly complicated controller (i think the GCN controller was their best traditional controller, and the Wiimote being the best overall)

In fact, i think they should have kept iterating with the Wiimote, making it more accurate, versatile, ergonomic, etc.
Wiimote was the worst as it lacked features and was so simple it made it more complicated. Wii U is not more complicated than any other system. I rarely use the Gamepad I use the pro(batt life mainly). Even when I use the gamepad it's still just a regular controller with an added feature that we have had in some form since Dreamcast and PlayStation One. The system has 750 games. I own retail about 30 and digital maybe another 15 or more. Wonderful 101 is one of the generations best games as is Bayonetta 2 the greatest action game ever made. It's loaded with great games much like Dreamcast. Didn't have as many games as the competition but loaded with great games. XCX is one of the best RPGs in years and a true craft to open world design. Tokyo Mirage Sessions is Persona on a Nintendo system. Pokken (I have never had interest in Pokemon) is a great fighting game and Mario Kart 8 and Smash on Wii U are the best in the series. Splatoon is the best new IP this generation. I been playing games for 30 years and own about every major system in that time so not like I only play Nintendo systems so it's not a smoke screen. The only people I really see badmouth Wii U are people who don't own one. Much like the days of TurboGrafx16 or Sega Saturn or Sega Dreamcast and no Wii U. People who own them tend to like them as a general rule while those who don't seem to hate it.

I'll admit i dont own a WiiU nor have i used the controller.

The wii gamepad has possibly every possible input mechanism built into it. It would be complicated for average consumers; the polar opposite of the Wiimote.

I didnt bother with the WiiU because i dont like the idea of switching context and focus between a tv and the controller.

I might have been able to overlook that had there been ANY games i wanted to play on it. It didnt even have an original Zelda or Metroid game, and the Mario game didnt seem like a "flagship" title.

Regarding the Wiimote, i found the Wiimote+nunchuck to be a great combo for controls in "traditional" games. They could have added a couple more buttons, put a better speaker or headphone port into it, more accurate motion controls, etc

Im glad you guys enjoyed the WiiU tho, not trying to convince anyone otherwise. Just wasnt a compelling console for me in the hardware(controller) or software sense.

Last edited:
Most people that did purchase the Wii U when it first came out was left underwhelmed by what Nintendo had brought out I feel. That isn't to say that the Wii U is a terrible console, because it isn't. The problem I feel is just that people expected more of Nintendo and that could also be a problem when the NX comes out as well.

People still want Nintendo to compete with Sony and Microsoft, so they will have high expectations of any new console that they bring out, and if it doesn't blow the Xbox ONE or the Playstation 4 out of the water then they will be left disappointed. while I know it's still early days as far as the NX is concerned, I don't think I'm going too much out on a limb by saying it won't be as good as those to devices, so if people are expecting it to be top dog in the console world, I think they're already setting themselves up for a fall.

One of the reasons I like Nintendo is because they are not like Sony or Microsoft. Nintendo is "special", it does it's own thing. It doesn't always pay off, but I admire the fact that they are willing to take such bold risks.

Microsoft and Sony are pretty much offering the same product to consumers, with minor variations on the edges. I dont think customers need a third company to offer the same product with a different brand as another choice. IMHO

On cartridges..... here's something to think about....

You guys know how when you put your cartridge into your 3/DS? It takes a bit of force to lock into place? How will that work on a home console/desktop unit without? Top loading maybe?

One of the reasons I like Nintendo is because they are not like Sony or Microsoft. Nintendo is "special", it does it's own thing. It doesn't always pay off, but I admire the fact that they are willing to take such bold risks.

Microsoft and Sony are pretty much offering the same product to consumers, with minor variations on the edges. I dont think customers need a third company to offer the same product with a different brand as another choice. IMHO

While I do agree that there's no point Nintendo just copying what the other console manufacturers are doing and they need to find their own angle, at the same time I don't want Nintendo to just do something for the sake of it. Like using the cartridges for example, it ill provide a unique aspect to the NX that the Playstation and Xbox doesn't have, but at the same time I hope that using cartridges will be just as good as using CD because if it isn't, while people will like the uniqueness in the beginning, that feeling will soon wear off if they realise that the cartridges are just a novelty.

My brother, who doesn't own a Wii U, says he will buy a NX if it uses cartridges. He is extremely nostalgic and misses cartridges and hasn't gamed a whole lot since the N64. We don't always agree on games, me and him, but we both share a love of Kirby and the Rainbow Curse.

Well I can certainly see the point there. If it had cartridges it would certainly be a bit hit of nostalgia for a lot of gamers out there, but I do question what it would mean for sales. While it is nice to have nostalgia, I cannot help but think it is an outdated form or style of design, or that it has flaws technically speaking. It is very interesting to think about though, and it should be interesting to see where things go. Thanks for sharing.

I think that using cartridges is a bit vintage. I think that it's preferable for them to use SD card and allow people to download the game from the net and load it up that way. I think there might be a market for cartridge users but I don't think it should restrict itself only to that.

As I've said before though, I think that Nintendo maybe wanted to offer something different than hat the other consoles do, and reverting back to cartridges isn't going to affect the games themselves so they chosen that route as a way to be different and get people talking.

If that IS the reason then it's certainly worked, as you'll be able to see the return of cartridges being discussed across the internet, and not just on this forum.

I was looking through the net and it does seem like it will be cartridge based. I guess it's one of the best ways to prevent piracy but I'm sure there is some guy stuck in a basement somewhere already thinking of a way to get round this obstacle.

Latest threads

Back