Nintendo NX having cartridges

What concerns me, and I'm obviously no technological genius so I'm looking for people here to correct me, but won't the cartridges be limited to the amount of data they will be able to hold? I was always under the impression that cartridges got replaced by Blu-Ray discs, mainly because you can fit a lot more data on a disc than what you can a cartridge. Have Nintendo managed to fix that issue or am I missing something here?

^ It's not the 90s anymore. Tech has caught up. You can get a 1TB SD card now. A blu-ray only goes to 100GB and no game uses more than a dual layer 50GB disc. The NX ones sound to be 32GB which is more than enough than any Nintendo game. Third parties might need something bigger but Nintendo has always had varied sizes for developers who need more space. SNES,N64 and all their handhelds had varied sizes in cart capacity. I would not doubt if Nintendo made some 64GB ones. Also a cart eliminates the need for installs like on PS4 or XBO. I would not worry at all about size.

What concerns me, and I'm obviously no technological genius so I'm looking for people here to correct me, but won't the cartridges be limited to the amount of data they will be able to hold? I was always under the impression that cartridges got replaced by Blu-Ray discs, mainly because you can fit a lot more data on a disc than what you can a cartridge. Have Nintendo managed to fix that issue or am I missing something here?
I don't think that will be the only way that you can get the games, if it is I think that they will be shooting themselves in the foot. There aren't as many gaming stores as there used to be and so were will most of the people get their games. It will have to be downloading the games from the net, but if it does have cartridges, it will bring back good memories for many of the players.

There is just as many gaming stores as ever. In fact more so than ever now that Retro collecting is a sizeable market,they are popping up everywhere and even Gamestop started selling old games and systems again. You can already download any Nintendo first party game on Wii U and 3DS plus physical. Will be no different for NX. Also US internet speeds and large amount of rural areas plus data caps is slowing the all digital future with games being 45GB to download. For me that takes 2-3 days to download.

I don't think that will be the only way that you can get the games, if it is I think that they will be shooting themselves in the foot. There aren't as many gaming stores as there used to be and so were will most of the people get their games. It will have to be downloading the games from the net, but if it does have cartridges, it will bring back good memories for many of the players.

At the moment all we have is speculation, and while I do think that Nintendo have confirmed the use of cartridges on the NX, they don't have to stick to that promise of course and things can change significantly between now and the date of release. It seems that most console manufacturers are heading more and more towards digital downloads when it comes to the games, and that's also something that Nintendo will be doing as well I would imagine like you have already mentioned.

@pwarbi according to, well, rumors the Nintendo NX will be launched in March of 2017. That is still some time away, a lot can happen during this time, but if they are indeed thinking of using cartridges they should start producing them around about now so that they can keep up with the markets demand for them. We will just have to wait and see what their choice is.

Well things like the format of the system would be settled before dev kits went out and they are very much out so the format of carts is set. Of course like anything have downloads as another option but the main format is set. What could change is the capacity but even that is unlikely til a later date. Ram and storage can still be in the air.

Some parts of the system will certainly be set, like you say and while a launch date of March 2017 might seem like a long time off, when it comes to developing a console then I would have thought that Nintendo are probably entering into the final stages as we speak.

Nintendo aren't rookies when it comes to releasing a new console of course, and they will have known right from day 1 I would have thought exactly which direction they would be heading with the NX, but while a lot of what they anted to d would have been implemented from an early phase, I do think that they will have left some things open to change, just in case they ran into any issues along the way,

Most certainly even the launch date probably wasn't chosen by chance. I don't know why they aren't trying to launch it in time for the Christmas sales but I'm sure they have a market strategy and March is the ideal time for them. As you said Nintendo aren't rookies and they most probably have everything planed out from day 1.

Right from the very start then Nintendo would have planned out every date, every step of the way, and it's not as if they will have come out with a release date right at the beginning. The release date would have been decided only when the bulk of the work had been done and they could be sure that they was bale to meet the deadline that they had set I would have thought.

As you say, Nintendo know what they are doing and I think they might have made a few consoles in the past before, haha!

Sadly some people think they know things better than a 100-something year-old company that has a company policy to stick around forever.

@grahamf that is right, it's hard to believe that Nintendo started in 1889 and is still going strong. If they have been around so long it's because they are doing something right.

I am all for carts coming back. More reliable. They don't cost much to buy or manufacture anymore.

You're right about the cost of them, but I don't really want to see them come back, it's an old thing, we are supposed to be looking to the future, that's like Sony making UMD disc again for another PSP that will come out in 2018 or something, it's cool but I think for the newer generation of gamers, it's kind of irrelevant compared to all of the new technology that's out already.

That's an odd reason to not want them back. Disk drives are obsolete, and high end computers ditch the hdd for a ssd. And everything has a SD or MicroSD card port

At the end of the day I guess we're just going to have to trust Nintendo, and even if we don't I seriously doubt if they'd listen to us and reverse their decision to use cartridges anyway. Even for those people that are dead against the use of cartridges, it's not a reason NOT to buy the system so while we might say that we prefer this or that, we'll still buy the console regardless.

Latest posts

Latest threads

Back