Nintendo NX will have "incredibly powerful" hardware

Xbox had the edge on the HD front with a smattering of games that could run at 720p, with the AV box accessory. Most of them were sports games or shovelware. Gamecube had a similar amount of games with support for 480p/progressive scan, but I guess the component cables were handled badly. It's not really a meteoric difference

@Metaldave My bad I guess. People absolutely passed that stuff off as some kind of insider info at the time

Xbox had the edge on the HD front with a smattering of games that could run at 720p, with the AV box accessory. Most of them were sports games or shovelware. Gamecube had a similar amount of games with support for 480p/progressive scan, but I guess the component cables were handled badly. It's not really a meteoric difference

@Metaldave My bad I guess. People absolutely passed that stuff off as some kind of insider info at the time

No worries friend, there were websites that did go with my post as insider info and re-posted it as such, even though it plainly said "speculation" in the title and was repeated throughout the original post. I guess the speculation was convincing enough but it wasn't fact. I've had this same conversation a number of times since then explaining it so people would stop saying what I said was some kind of insider fact.

LOL

I suggest contacting an Admin at NeoGAF they can verify you confidentially (if you really work for Ubisoft) and you might be able to post about this information there and this can get more validity. As it stands, this could be anyone posting and saying they work for ---company and "we've seen NX"
actually i wouldn't bother with neogaf, after the owner acted like a child during Iwata's death

NeoGaf's community has their collective head shoved unbelievably far up their collective asses. But certain users there can usually verify insider information. I wouldn't stick around, but they can be useful.

Hi, found this thread through neogaf. I am a mid level-ish environment artist/designer at Ubisoft, and our office did get the SDK this week. I wasn't technically supposed to see it but was working late Friday and managed to sneak a peek of others playing with the demos. Can't comment on the fps specifically, but both demos I saw seemed to be running fine on our (relatively decked out) machine. One of the demos particularly looked gorgeous, and the impression around the office is that people are pleasantly surprised with this kind of focus on graphics from Nintendo. I'm not working on anything Nintendo-related and can't confirm anything else, but I can agree with the processing power statements. It should be an exciting little machine and from what I see, fun to develop for.

Question: Has development started on any games for the NX platform from Ubisoft?

I would think not, considering everything about the system was in complete secrecy until like 2 days ago.

Is it true developers are just now starting to get the development kits?

Actually, I think Square Enix got a dev kit earlier as they announced the NX version of Dragon Quest X and Dragon Quest XI for NX before pulling back their statement and saying that they would "consider" it.

Last edited:
Knowing how powerful it is based on those software demos, I wonder how much this thing will cost. Honestly, if they want to catch up with the competition, it CANNOT cost more than $350. While they'll know that the higher price at this point in time will show how much more powerful it is, but the lower prices of the other two consoles will veer some people away simply because the One and PS4 will (likely) be cheaper.

Well TyMiles2012, if you want high end gaming PC quality you'll have to pay at least $400 for the console and that's a good thing. It'll mean Nintendo can make some what of a profit off the console whilst still being competitive.

Well... Whatever it is knowing our luck they're going to have alot of bugs in the system due the fact that it is going to take ALOT of data, work and time and because they might skip over a few minor deatails to focuse more on the bigger ones even though, those little details might be just as devastating and damaging to the system as the bigger ones.Not only that they may not have powerful enough equipment to make some thing like that, but that kind of tech might be only a few years away but because they don't have it now things might go wrong especially if the set themselves a due date and a quickly approaching one at that....

This is all wrong, Nintendo needs to stop with Gimmicks.. so now they going to make a super photorealistic capable console that still has a wii mote or wii pad controller. Gamecube as I recall failed because the Media was to small and the controller didn't have enough buttons. Ask Sega, graphics don't win console wars , thinking "Dreamcast" and oh wasn't the Saturn more powerful than Playstation , I think some of us are old enough to remember the Saturn. I have a great idea make a console that graphically is just par, but doesn't cost alot, accessible to all ages, niche groups and developers. Have controller than is button compatible with competition, and developers only have to perhaps just sacrifice fidelty to port games to Nintendo Console. I really think more people would buy Nintendo consoles if yes they get the typical Nintendo Franchise and Party Games, but can also get the next COD/Battlefield/Racing Game that is atleast par graphically. Think about this Nitnedo License Direct X 12 from Microsoft , thus Capcom etc can port all titles, get Nitendo franchises with the usually Prettiness and alternate play style Makers, 3d , online whatever new gimmick spin... on a console that is 150 or 200$ and graphically about Best last gen or Launch current gen. Nintendo Franchise are pretty not because of Graphic Fidelity but being Different, Mario Sunshine, Tennis and Kart where PRETTY it had all these colors and happy feel while all other consoles were catching up to the PC with the Brown Desert Setting First Person Shooter or Dark Gothic Setting 3rd person adventure. Super Meat boy just screams adult nintendo platformer but as far as I know it was never on Nintendo. Trine series exact same natural fit for "adults/teens" that own Nintendo Console. Content Wins console wars , not graphics / power alone. I knew alot of friends that has a Wii because they modded it to play homebrew emulators and old console and arcade classics.

Back to the PRice, so people currently I think have to decide 300$ + graphics card for PC adn it's exclusives or Console for 500+ and it's games and settle for console ports of some PC games. Nintendo can change the game back to the old days 200$ for console to play console games on and 300 for the graphics card to play teh PC centric games. Less Fanboys and extremist attitudes that ultimately push some people away from gaming as a whole.

ssics.

Back to the PRice, so people currently I think have to decide 300$ + graphics card for PC adn it's exclusives or Console for 500+ and it's games and settle for console ports of some PC games. Nintendo can change the game back to the old days 200$ for console to play console games on and 300 for the graphics card to play teh PC centric games. Less Fanboys and extremist attitudes that ultimately push some people away from gaming as a whole.
good luck, people will still find away to whine about nintendo

@Mercilessming

I'm so confused by this post.

So if I'm understanding correctly, basically you want Nintendo to stop with the gimmicks but offer a system that can play all of the third party games but at a lower graphics quality and you want the console to be less than $200...

I don't think you understand how making games work. It's not a dial that can just be turned down with quality and magically it'll work on the console. Also, wasn't one of the biggest complaint about the Wii that it wasn't in HD when everything else was? Why would anyone get a Nintendo NX if it's inferior in every way when it comes out? I don't think the price of the console is THAT much of a factor, I think everyone expects to pay $400 for a new console. Look at the Ouya, it was cheap as heck but it bombed. I don't want Nintendo to follow that model at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
good luck, people will still find away to whine about nintendo

To be fair, people find a way to complain about everything in their lives and outside their lives. I pay little attention to that unless it comes from someone I know and consider to have common sense (the least common of the senses!).

Now, for an anecdote, I live in Mexico. In 2006 or so when that generation of consoles were coming out, the Xbox 360 was around the then-equivalent to $550 USD, the Wii around $410, but the Ps3... The PS3, as I saw it with my own eyes, cost $1,820 USD. Yes, that's right, it was almost as much as rent in a big apartment in an upper-class neighborhood.
Really, as long as price differences don't get that ridiculous, who the hell cares if it's $500?
Ultimately, the truth is gamers are a whiny bunch. I spend about half as much taking my wife to the cinema as I do on a newly-released videogame, for roughly 2 hours of entertainment versus 8 hours from any average AAA game. If it were a math problem, gaming is more cost effective.
Of course life doesn't work that way, but if people would like more games to offer 30 hours or so rather than 8-12 then it's as simple as to refrain from buying the latter in order to make the business studies and polls reveal the people at the top of the gigantic corporation what the gamer really wants, what's gonna sell their product. Whining does very little to change these things. And people are too tight with money. I mean, I'm a bit broke and have been tight for three years or so, haven't bought a single new release during this time and don't have the new consoles because I don't feel they offer me what I want yet, not for that price. So I don't buy and that's a concrete result, a measurable statistic. If the NX comes out and costs $150 more but if offers what I want, I'm gonna make the investment and buy it, even if I have to save up a couple months.

Price? No big deal.

Latest posts

Latest threads

Back