Nintendo officially wins this generation's console war, Xbox in 2nd place

crunchyg

Administrator
Staff member
Playing
GameCube
Microsoft, who rarely releases official Xbox install base numbers (i.e. the number of consoles sold to date) has finally revealed the tally for the Xbox 360 consoles sold since its 2005 launch, and that number is 70 million.

That puts the Wii firmly in first place of this generation's console race, a significant victory for Nintendo who hasn't dominated the home consoles since the days of its Super NES. According to Nintendo's Japanese site, the Wii had already sold 96.56 million units as of June 30, 2012, which means it has already crossed the 100-million mark.

Sony's fortunes have clearly changed since the last generation, as PlayStation 3 takes third place this time around.

Microsoft Earnings Release FY13 Q1
Nintendo Co., Ltd. sales data

The Wii was something new and exciting - engaging video games. It was a novel concept that really paid off, and it helped Nintendo to earn such good sales. The question is, however, will the release of the Wii U be able to keep that momentum going?

I honestly don't see the Wii U stirring as much talk as the Wii did. Maybe it's just me but I haven't seen as much coverage or even that much excitement aside from the very dedicated fan-boys.

That being said, I'm really excited for it to come out. The secondary screen seems like it would just be a novelty but knowing Nintendo, they'll probably make me love it once I get my hands on it. I'm mostly excited to see some 720p Zelda and Super Smash Bros.

I probably won't be able to buy it on Day 1, but I'll get it by next year for sure.

I feel bad for Sony though. They really did put out the "best" console out of all three. The PS3 was the most powerful and had the most potential but for some reason it just didn't pay off.

The wii really was a genuis idea.It catered to young and old gamers with its motion controls.And since most people had never seen anything like it before, it flew off the shelves at lightspeed.

But honestly, I really cant see the Wii U doing as good as the Wii did since the novelty of motion controls has worn off.I predict Sony making a comeback this coming generation of consoles.

Wow, that is great to hear :)

I was an early adopter of the Wii and still have one even now. Despite the lack of big games and more 'adult titles', the Wii for me kept the spirit of gaming, fun! I think that most would agree that 'fun' is what nintendo are good at.

I don't think that even upto now any other manufacterer has been able to better the WiiMote either with its motion detection capabilities.

Latest posts

Latest threads

Back