Nintendo Racing

RetroZoid

Playing
Super NES
OK we have Mario kart and Mario Sonic racing.

What about a racing game being developed where more characters were present and their abilities being accessible?

• Dr Robotnic in his machine (this idea came from @Shane in another thread)
  • Samus in a smaller version of her craft
  • Link on Epona
  • Star Fox in a small craft
  • Ash riding a pokemon
  • Donkey Kong with banana skins on his feet
Any other additions?
What about their abilities or special moves?

Here is what I would do. Give each character their own attributes, for example Donkey Kong slipping on banana peels won't be as fast as Samus' ship, and give each character a single, static item they can use whenever they hit an Item Box. For example, because of the speed difference, Donkey Kong's Item would be superior to Samus'.

This is the sort of thing I was thinking.
But maybe each character would have 3 abilities.

You collect things to give you charge and each ability costs a different amount of charge to execute.
So maybe the weakest of the 3 would take 2 charge whereas the strongest ability would take 15.

The racing game i truly, 100% enjoyed was sonic riders for the gamecube. If they remade something like that, just with all the mario characters, i would be happy.

I think Sonic riders often gets overlooked as a classic racing game, simply because it was released on the game cube I think, and its not a system that people look back on as fondly as they do with other consoles.

Wasn't there also a spin off of the game for the Wii? Sonic riders gravity I think it was called but I might be mistaken.

I never played that, so I'm not sure how good it was, but the original was definitely a classic in my eyes aswell, although it received a mixed response on the reviews when it first came out from what I can remember.

I'm not sure. I only had a wii for about 2 months and then had to choose to keep my wii or my gamecube. I chose the gamecube. Even though the wii could play gamecube games and wii games, it didn't feel right. Getting rid of my gamecube would be like getting rid of my best friend. I could never do it. Thats why i still have my gamecube today, and it was the first non-handheld console i ever had, (just before the NES.) But anyways im getting off topic. Next time ill try to actually say something relevant to the conversation XD

Ooo, an off-topic thread! Can I join?

47.jpg

I really think RetroZoid might be onto something here though. Let's have levels spanning all the series as well.

@Shane yes! Levels based on series.

Imagine one level where you're zooming around underground caverns, dodging alien creatures and having torun over space pirates (all while Samus looks like she knows all the shortcuts....). I wonder what level this game would be from :p

I have to say my number one racing game of all time is sonic riders for the gamecube. As a hardcore Mario fan, it might be nice if they took all the Mario characters and created something similar. That would be a lot of fun.

Well I have to say that I love the idea, but at the same time it would probably be a little weird to see. I am picturing a race with Star Fox in his ship and then Link on the horse, and that might be as issue. The premise though, is genius, but you just have those pesky little things called details that might get in the way. I say keep thinking, though, and if you can dream it then you can do it.

The success of a game like this though is going to depend on what sort of market Nintendo aim the game at as well. When a game comes out that is labelled as a racing game, a lot of people who are into that genre won't want to see characters in there and will want Nintendo to release a game that's similar to Forza or Gran Turismo but I don't think that ill ever happen.

It's kind of hard to take a racing simulator seriously if you have Mario or a Pokemon even behind the wheel and you can shoot rainbows form your headlights, haha!

Here is what I would do. Give each character their own attributes, for example Donkey Kong slipping on banana peels won't be as fast as Samus' ship, and give each character a single, static item they can use whenever they hit an Item Box. For example, because of the speed difference, Donkey Kong's Item would be superior to Samus'.

Exactly. Make each character have their own strengths and attributes. This way you could pick a certain character for a certain map, and gain advantages. Also, make it to where you can build upon those attributes, like skill points.

Well, I might be going off topic, but I remember back in the days when I had my PSone, I used to play a game named Crash Racing a lot! You had the ability to fight your opponents and such things, it was pretty similar to Mario Kart, it really was a good game indeed, however, Mario Kart keeps being one of my number one racing games so far.

Well, I might be going off topic, but I remember back in the days when I had my PSone, I used to play a game named Crash Racing a lot! You had the ability to fight your opponents and such things, it was pretty similar to Mario Kart, it really was a good game indeed, however, Mario Kart keeps being one of my number one racing games so far..

Well this makes me want to go out and find this game. I am curious to why I cannot remember anything like this. I was big on the PS One, but this one seemed to have slipped by me. I like the concept, though, and anytime you can say it is close to Mario Kart I am betting it is pretty fun to play. Interesting stuff, thanks for sharing.

Do you mean Crash Nitro Kart? I had it for my GameCube and I think I have it copied to my Wii U

I would love to see that very much. I can see a Mario Kart N64 game, but where the characters get power ups based on their own powers versus just collecting those balloons to get random powers.

This would be different, and very unique. It could be an addition to a new game for the NX maybe. Who knows.

Latest threads

Back