No more Pokemon for me

umegames

From
Ohio
Playing
Wii U
After taking a break from pokemon since X & Y , last month i got back into Pokemon Sapphire, which i was excited for considering how great it was on GBA, but I've come to realize how sorely disappointed I am at the series at this point and game freak, and mind you i think Pokemon is a pretty decent RPG and i just enjoy battling online. I was very sad to not have enjoyed sapphire, and these 2 points are what did it for me, and MUST be changed in the future of pokemon.

1. offer a Hard mode from the start

This was an unlock in black & white 2, but why has it never been a choice in the last 2 games? seriously, it's just way to easy to level up now, much easier to EV train that "grinding", if you will, is unnessarcy. by the time i got to the elite four i had 2 teams of pokemon at level 70

2. eliminate the need of HMs

Know I'm not the 1st to say this, but it really sucks having to keep a linoone in my party just so i can cut, strength, surf etc. It was nice to be able to use a flute to call latias and fly, just gimmie items to do those things....or stop having me cut and move bolders, come up with some new kind of puzzles.

I just wish there was a little more RPG stuff in it. I think they should make 1 pokemon game that holds all the different leagues and that way they could also allow you to build your character with friendships and relationships. But that will never happen.

The newer Pokémon games have been much easier, especially because of the overpowered EXP share. I think they're trying to make their games more kid friendly, I've heard of young children struggling particularly with the older games. It is disappointing for their older fans though that they've made the game so easy. I think a hard mode would have actually been really good, particularly for X/Y. I remember in Platinum I had to grind quite a bit to defeat the last gym leader and the Elite Four and it's kind of sad that aspect of the game has disappeared.

I kind of agree that HMs are annoying but I think they've done a pretty good job with lowering the number and need of HMs in the past few games especially in X/Y. Compared to 8 HMs in Gen 3 and 4, Gen 6 only had 5 HMs and you didn't even need all of them. You didn't need Cut to advance in the game at all so you could say that it was 4. I don't mind having Fly/Surf/Strength/Waterfall on my Pokémon at all because they're pretty great moves. I think they've done pretty well with getting rid of Flash/Defog/Cut which were completely useless and extremely annoying to carry.

If they want to keep HMs have it be an option that cannot be used in battle that why you don't take up a slot. Also never got why you can only use an attack a certain amount of times before you need to use an item or go to care center. Strong attacks make it to where you can only use once every 3 turns and normal attacks can be used. If you have 4 moves then 1 is special the other are basic.

I'm a little sad that Pokémon has gone almost completely 3D. Wish we could get a couple of more remakes of the old games but in 2D, with redrawn artwork and all.

A part of me wishes that Pokemon could move from one console to another. In other words, with the amount of graphics that they are doing for the 3DS, I'd rather enjoy it on Wii U, or something else that's coming out that would help me actually feel connected to the 3D-life, rather than on a 3DS (if that makes sense).

In addition, I agree with most of you in regards to how "easy" the Pokemon games have become and how "disappointing" the games have been through Nintendo and Game Freak. I think these two companies can do better and realistically, I know they can do better. But they go for whats "easy" for them and just get their games out for income rather than actually making something worth while.

Don't get me wrong, their games are always phenomenal and filled with so much nostalgia! But I would rather play Sapphire and Ruby during the GBA than play a 3D version of it years later where nothing has really changed but the graphics. I think they can do more than just think about the profit. Because realistically, even though I don't play as much Pokemon anymore, I literally buy ALL of the games as a nostalgic collection, and I'm not the only one who does this.

I truly love CHRISTINA's input about putting all different leagues into one game. I think THAT'S a game Nintendo and Game Freak should really put interest in. You will have more and more people striving to get to different leagues than you would people buying remake of games over and over again. Granted, something like this would need a larger file than a 3DS cartridge, which is why my point of taking Pokemon to the "big-screen" on a larger console would be worth-while. I'd buy the console and the game in a heart beat!

I think it may be a good idea to either make it a bit more difficult or just add hard mode- though it doesn't really matter too much to me. Just one thing- if grinding becomes necessary once more, don't make Pokemon into Earthbound. PLEASE.
no offense to Earthbound, though.

Personally, I think generation XI is the best the series has ever been at.

I do agree with you. The more I play Pokemon games, the more I realize that the story is a bit repetitive. The gameplay is amazing if it is your first time playing a Pokemon game, but once you play your fifth Pokemon game, it starts getting boring. To solve this, I recommend you try the "Nuzlocke Challenge". It's self-imposed rules while playing Pokemon, and it's a fresh of breath air when playing Pokemon games. I am glad that each Pokemon game has some sort of post-game story after beating the game so that you could play the game a little bit longer, such as an extra region to play through. I really hope they do something different for the next Pokemon game!

Personally, I think generation XI is the best the series has ever been at.

You sure you don't mean VI. I do not think there are that many pokemon generations. Anyways for me I believe generation II was the best.

I just play with the EXP All off myself. I am hoping the game next year is good and GF listens to the fans. Make the 20th anniversary game what the fans want. A diffcult mode from the start would be cool since it was in BW 2 (Sadly post game)

I got into Pokémon right in the beginning when the series was launched in the west. I enjoyed it for a while and I quickly caught on why it was such a smash hit in Japan. But since I was also playing a ton of JRPGs on my PS1 & Sega Saturn, Pokémon just didn't feel as good. While it was challenging enough, the story and world were too simplistic for my tastes. It simply couldn't hold up to the deep and rich worlds of the Lunar series, Grandia, Xenogears and Final Fantasy games of that period. I eventually stopped playing Pokémon and focused on the type of JRPGs I just mentioned.

I would like new evolutions for eevee's and a better story mode. Maybe introducing a new type of Pokemon would be cool and change things up a little.

Know I'm not the 1st to say this, but it really sucks having to keep a linoone in my party just so i can cut, strength, surf etc. It was nice to be able to use a flute to call latias and fly, just gimmie items to do those things....or stop having me cut and move bolders, come up with some new kind of puzzles.

I know this thread is quite old but oh my god! someone who thinks like me! It's just so annoying when we want to go somewhere in the game only to forgot we didn't have a Pokemon with Cut in our party. C'mon let's come back to a PokeCenter!!!1
I'm a big Pokemon fan, yes, but that is one of my biggest pet peeves (can I call it like this?) ever!

Again I'm bumping an old thread, but I find it irresistible to because it's such a good topic.

umegames said:
1. offer a Hard mode from the start

This was an unlock in black & white 2, but why has it never been a choice in the last 2 games? seriously, it's just way to easy to level up now, much easier to EV train that "grinding", if you will, is unnessarcy. by the time i got to the elite four i had 2 teams of pokemon at level 70

This. Nintendo has to realize that the majority of their fanbase are not newcomers, but veterans! Pokemon games are made to be easy to make way for first timers, but this formula is not effective anymore! In XY I skipped as many trainers as I can because I know I can beat a Gym Leader even with underleveled Pokes. There is no "reward" for grinding, hence it can be boring for us, veterans.

umegames said:

I have to disagree on this one. "Don't fix what ain't broke", as they always say.
The HMs have been with us since the very beginning, it has been an essential part of Pokemon story gameplay and I don't think it's a good idea to change the formula that already works. But I do respect your opinion. :)

I've heard of a project called Pokemon Generations. I guess it's an indie project to make a Pokemon RPG, but I think it got discontinued. You can see the gameplay here. I feel like if some indie developers could make a game like that, Gamefreak or whoever should be able to do something the same or better.

I've heard of a project called Pokemon Generations. I guess it's an indie project to make a Pokemon RPG, but I think it got discontinued. You can see the gameplay here. I feel like if some indie developers could make a game like that, Gamefreak or whoever should be able to do something the same or better.

So that is xenoblade except with pokemon.... neat

One does not simply... quit pokemon.

Yeah, gets stale after a while. It's ok, GO will be here soon and the chances of that failing are so astronomically low that we will probably all have a new platform soon <3

Latest posts

Latest threads

Back