Penny Racers - a Mario Kart 64 ripoff?

lindbergh

From
Law Office
Playing
Nintendo DS
Penny Racers is a kart racing game that is in line with Mario Kart 64 and Diddy Kong Racing. With such greats available for the N64, does Penny Racers hold up?

When I first played Penny Racers, I noticed that it has one unique feature that Mario Kart and Diddy Kong does not have - the accessories system which allows you to take valuable car parts from last-place opponents. This is the main feature that makes Penny Racers playable. It's fun because of this. However, the circuit mode only has 9 tracks which makes it boring after a few playthroughs. The multiplayer is also lacking because you could only race on custom designed tracks.

What's your take on Penny Racers for the N64?
pr64.jpeg

Another title I never played. I know of it, but never bothered to try it out. I didn't have it, I didn't know anybody who had either, and I never thought about it when I was at the store. So it was an "out of sight, out of mind" thing. Just never came to mind to get it. Besides, we regularly played Mario Kart and Diddy Kong Racing and others. So we felt no need to branch out to other racing games. Also, we had other racing games, like Gran Turismo and others, on the Playstation. So our racing needs were well met.

This might be a title worth checking out, when I eventually go back and play other games that I missed. But, again, I can't say when the next time that'll be. I'll put it on the list, so that I can say that I've played it. But it probably won't be any time soon.

Did anybody else try this out? Sounds like it could of been interesting.

Latest threads

Back