Pokemon Name Change

Bloom

Playing
3DS
Apparently, the well-known Pokemon that we've grown to love since the 1990s will have a name change in the near future. Many Pokemon fans located in Hong Kong, China are protesting Nintendo's decision on using Simplified Chinese rather than the main language used in China today: Cantonese during their new version of their Pokemon Game, Sun and Moon. What name will be changing you ask? It's none other than the Pokemon we all learned to love from both the original Pokemon Yellow and the animation: Pikachu. Basically, in Simplified Chinese, Pikachu is pretty much said exactly how it looks. However, if changed to Cantonese, it would be Bikachu.

I guess you can say that Pokemon has shifted from just an entertainment industry, to something that has become a bit more political!

Click here to read more about it.

What do you think of this change? Do you agree with the Pokemon fans? Do you disagree?

D: I definitely disagree, but for those people in China probably think that Cantonese is the language they grew up learning, that is what the want it to be. So i guess it just depends on the perspective.

Latest threads

Back