PS4 demo unit in action at Gamestop

crunchyg

Administrator
Staff member
Playing
GameCube
Pretty neat demo unit, kudos for Sony for getting theirs out before Xbox One. But FIFA 14 looked awful. Graphics look like a bland PC game run at an excessive resolution. No extra detail in player models compared to the current generation, the crowds still look repetitive, etc.

VlqI4ac.jpg

u0KK9IK.jpg

Yeah, the demo units have been out for a while. What I find funny is, nobody is ever on them. Ever. I've seen a few people go near it and look at it for a moment or two, and then walk away. But none has actually gone and touched it. I do see people playing the Wii U from time to time, however, I have never seen anybody play the PS4 demo unit. Of course, I'm not there all of the time, so there could always be more people in there when I'm not. I'm just saying that I've never actually seen anybody bother to even touch the demo unit. Which I find funny.

Also, they've been selling the controllers and accessories and what not for a few weeks now. Long before the demo unit was even installed. Which is odd, as Gamestop refused to sell Wii U Pro Controllers and accessories before launch day. At least, all of the Gamestops in my town did. They didn't even have any on display. If you asked for them, they said that they had them in the back but they weren't allowed to sell them until launch day. But for the original Wii, even tho they wouldn't sell them until launch day, they at least put them all up on display. But yeah, they've been selling PS4 controllers and cameras and everything else, for weeks now. I was there a couple of weeks ago, and they had a Sony guy there to check the place. The Gamestop employees were telling people they could go ahead and buy the PS4 accessories. I only saw one person actually buy a PS4 controller. But, strangely, he wanted the clerk to show him a 'used' PS4 controller, which he just happened to have one behind the counter. Then, after checking it out, he bought the used controller. Seriously. He didn't want the brand new unopened PS4 controller. He wanted the used controller-only controller that was sitting behind the counter. And, the Gamestop employee sold it to him. I thought it was odd. I didn't say anything, but I thought it was odd.

Speaking of the PS4 tho, I was out and about earlier tonight, and at my Gamestop, there were only 5 people in line for a PS4. 5. That's insane. For the Wii U, there were over 50 people at this time. For the PS3 and 360, it went around the building. So, to see the line for the PS4, and ONLY see 5 people. That's crazy. I expected a far higher number of people for the PS4. I'll head out later, for a 'midnight snack' at some fastfood somewhere, and drive by to check out the lines later, see if they've gotten any bigger. We'll see.

Lawnachaun said:
...Speaking of the PS4 tho, I was out and about earlier tonight, and at my Gamestop, there were only 5 people in line for a PS4. 5. That's insane. For the Wii U, there were over 50 people at this time. For the PS3 and 360, it went around the building. So, to see the line for the PS4, and ONLY see 5 people. That's crazy. I expected a far higher number of people for the PS4. I'll head out later, for a 'midnight snack' at some fastfood somewhere, and drive by to check out the lines later, see if they've gotten any bigger. We'll see.
It really does not surprise me. It seems like everyone I know is waiting for one of two things:

1) The astronomical price to go down a tad.
2) For the kinks to be worked out.

I understand that logic. Games AND systems are time sensitive purchases. The sooner you buy, the more it'll cost you. Personally, I can wait.

The first demo machine of a PS4 that I saw was at one of the biggest supermarket chains in my country. Since consoles and games are not their main business, the system wasn't even plugged in. They just had it inside the stand and they only showcased the controller. But when I finally saw a PS4 running, I realized how under-powered it was when compared to a high-end PC. This wasn't the case in previous generations, when new consoles were launched it was often the PC that needed to catch up.

Latest posts

Latest threads

Back