Retro Pokémon Challenges

EatMeReturns

So in this thread, we post random challenges we have personally achieved for other people to attempt. My challenge isn't too hard:

1. Play Yellow
2. The only pokémon you can use in battle is Pikachu.
3. The only way you can use any other pokémon in your party is for HM utility.
4. Beat the game from start to finish.

-HARD MODE-
Beat each gym leader without using any health-regenerating items (you can still use your huge stash of full restores [hint hint] on the elite four).

That seems like a little much doesn't it? Tackle your way through the first gym or what? How much did you have to grind? Don't full restores count as health-regenerating items?

I'm amazed you managed to do this. That poor Pikachu of yours must've been all torn up when you were done. I've never gone back and played the older games but I think I'll give it a try now that yo've inspired me.

It only took me a few hours. Read the hard mode rules carefully. You can still use healing items on the elite four, just not the gym leaders. ;)

Beating the first gym with pikachu isn't all that bad once it gets Quick Attack. I never got all that seriously into pokemon, but I know you can't have a thread like this without mentioning the Nuzlocke challenge.

1. Any Pokémon that faints is considered dead, and must be released.

2. The player may only catch the first Pokémon encountered in each area, and none else. If the first Pokémon encountered faints or flees, there are no second chances.

The rules are simple, but the challenge is rather daunting. Has anyone here actually done this? If so, how far did you get?

EatMeReturns said:
So in this thread, we post random challenges we have personally achieved for other people to attempt. My challenge isn't too hard:

1. Play Yellow
2. The only pokémon you can use in battle is Pikachu.
3. The only way you can use any other pokémon in your party is for HM utility.
4. Beat the game from start to finish.

-HARD MODE-
Beat each gym leader without using any health-regenerating items (you can still use your huge stash of full restores [hint hint] on the elite four).
Tried, failed. I obviously don't understand the larger dynamic of a game of pokemon, haha. I always use tons of different ones and with just a Pikachu I get killed every time I run into anything a Pikachu isn't a good match for. =\

My challenge:
1. Play Yellow
2. The only champion you may use is magikarp
3. Beat the game from start to finish

hehehe.

Don't forget the Mew Challenge in the Red and Blue games. That pickup truck doesn't move itself, get moving. I jest, of course - it took me a long time to come to terms with that horrible, horrible joke.

My favourite challenge was using nothing but Normal type Pokemon. Once you get a couple like Nidoran up to par, you're pretty imposing on the battlefield. Meowth was always fun. And of course being a part of Team Rocket - using only pokemon Team Rocket uses.

jess_and_luigi said:
Tried, failed. I obviously don't understand the larger dynamic of a game of pokemon, haha. I always use tons of different ones and with just a Pikachu I get killed every time I run into anything a Pikachu isn't a good match for. =\

My challenge:
1. Play Yellow
2. The only champion you may use is magikarp
3. Beat the game from start to finish

hehehe.
Good luck x)
Everytime I go to the fish market and see all those fat fishes just laying there, reminds me of a Magikarp that must have been in battle haha
Just wait until he evolves, he will be seriously mad and destroy the whole world as soon as he becomes a big badass Gyarados!

Challenge: Play Pokemon Yellow with only the first six pokemon you catch. Do not exchange them at any point. They are your HM users, your special TM users, whatever else.

This isn't too hard a challenge all things considered.

Latest posts

Latest threads

Back