Satoru Iwata: Dec 6, 1959 - Jul 11, 2015

Y0shiM0n

Playing
Wii U
This is a memorial for Iwata. Say your respects here.

I am so sad. It is a shame he had that cancer. He led Nintendo well. I am glad he got to live through E3 2015 though. :( I wonder who will be the next President of Nintendo...o_O

RIP Satoru Iwata...

Satoru Iwata: Dec 6, 1959 - Jul 11, 2015.

Rest in piece, Satoru Iwata. Your talent, hard work and dedication to the gaming community will always be remembered and appreciated. What you offered the world provided much joy and happiness to so many. It's sad to see you go, you were still relatively young and I'm quite sure you had many fresh ideas for the future that you would've implemented. Wishing you all the best in your journey on the other side.

Indeed. He may not have had the stage presence most people do, but he was an honest legit down to earth guy. I remember my friend telling me of a Plane she met him on, working first class. He accidentally dropped his phone and it fell down into a hard to get to space and he sat down and had a full length conversation with her, thanking her three times for finding it. She also said to him she never played any Nintendo but she bought them for her son and he loved them, to which he smiled.

I'd like to think, he's smiling wherever he is. He achieved what many try to and never can accomplish - being a relatable CEO of a major corporation but still being a nice guy overall, not stuck on himself in the least. And with the legacy he left behind, he will be remembered.

If I'm not mistaken, wasn't he behind the emergence of home console video games? He brought the Nintendo to the mass market and single and started off the wave of video games that we see now?

If it wasn't him himself he definitely had a hand in it. On multiple levels.

If I'm not mistaken, wasn't he behind the emergence of home console video games? He brought the Nintendo to the mass market and single and started off the wave of video games that we see now?

I don't know if any one person single-handedly started the wave of video games, but in any case Satoru Iwata came to Nintendo in 2000, when it was already the biggest game company in the world. Iwata did work on Nintendo games at his previous company, HAL Laboratory.

Iwata may have been handed a dynasty or a well-off position, but at least he didn't squander it. He made Nintendo more personable overseas and foreign markets abroad; and for that he garnered much attention as well. I even remember their, "WII would like to Play!" set of commercials. No doubt he was behind them too!

Yeah I remember this. Sorry to bump an old post and bring back memories of the dead, but I just wanted to add this as well.

"On my business card, I am a corporate president. In my mind, I am a game developer. But in my heart, I am a gamer." - Satoru Iwata

RIP Satoru Iwata

@Shimus funny how that quote reminded of a famous LP YouTube channel :p

Rest in peace, man. Thanks for everything you've done for Nintendo growth.

Great quote. That's the attitude that should be when it comes to doing something creative in essence.

Latest threads

Back