Should Nintendo Start Competing?

Thomas Ennis

From
Albuquerque
Playing
Super NES
Do you think that Nintendo should go all out, and try to compete with Microsoft in terms of hardware? Nintendo has always been 1 step behind, but they have always been cheaper too. Perhaps a Wii U graphic update?

yes!yes!yes!

here's why: think of the fanboys/girls like me. I'm only missing wwe 14, ncaa/madden football, star wars games, etc. point being not enough to buy a ps3 or xbox. i refuse because i have enough to do with mario and zelda.

flip the script and examine the xboxers and ps3ers that won't buy a wii u just for a couple games. if they could get their COD and football all on one platform Nintendo would be the dragonslayer it was in 1985.

i understand they try to cater to 7 yr olds, but I'm a 33yr old that decides and pays for what my child is allowed to play. she's gotta go to bed sometime, so give me the option to bang out the same football game everybody else is getting. or ghostbusters. or wwe

I do believe Nintendo would be absolutely dominant on the market if they supported blockbuster like CoD, Battlefield, FIFA and other high-end games.
However, I hope it wouldn't result in them spoiling their own games.

Mario, Zelda, Kirby etc. wouldn't be as fun if they had badass graphics. They're cute and fun, and that's perfect.

Just like @dustinb12 said, I want the Nintendo to play Mario and Zelda, but sometimes I just want some more serious games too. I don't want to have to buy two consoles just to play 5 or 6 more games.

Nintendo could do both style games though. For the mainstream games, they could pack their console with the most up to date hardware. They don't have to utilize the power for their exclusive; that are "cute." :)

the only games to me that could look better would be Star Fox or Fzero, you know spacey time games. Metroid

I suppose they're a step behind in the graphics department but they were leaps ahead in innovation. The sensor and remotes were a great idea. Do you remember how both PS3 and X360 were scrambling to develop things to catch up. I STILL feel like Playstation is behind. Kinect hit the nail on the head in where I think Nintendo was trying to go all along. I hope they come out with something that blows the competition away.

I don't really care all that much. I mean I have a 360 so even if the wii did incorporate some of those games, it wouldn't matter to me all that much.

I really don't care about graphics. It's more about artstyle so no, I don't think so.

Graphics are not very important to the game; I agree. The thing is, a majority of the gamers in the country are into game graphics. If Nintendo wanted to, they could compete. The question is, what would the console cost if they did?

It would probably be somewhat cheaper than PS4 and Xbox, but still have a high price.

The problem could be that people who play high-end games are used to PS4 and Xbox, so that might be a problem for Nintendo sales.

Yes they should, even keeping in mind that the Ps4 and Xboxone are both using ancient hardware themselves

If Nintendo wanted to compete, they should've released a nex-gen console instead of the Wii U. They would have killed PS and Xbox with that move, and Nintendo's sales would go through the roof.

I'm holding out to see what smash bros does for sales. might give a lil shot in the arm

That's a lot riding on one game. I think they should maybe try exploring mature rated games. They've had some success but it seems like they are stuck in the 'family console' zone. MadWorld would be a great incorporation with the Wii U. I have been hoping since Wii debuted that they would open that 'M' rating door a little further and venture inside. I feel like I'm going to be waiting a long time. I shouldn't even both thinking about AO.

totally agree. i love my family games but the kid does eventually go to bed…i just really miss my sports games

@JoanMcWench: I agree. Nintendo is stuck in the family console group for too long.
They should've started to compete a long time ago if they want to be taken more seriously...

JoanMcWench said:
That's a lot riding on one game. I think they should maybe try exploring mature rated games. They've had some success but it seems like they are stuck in the 'family console' zone. MadWorld would be a great incorporation with the Wii U. I have been hoping since Wii debuted that they would open that 'M' rating door a little further and venture inside. I feel like I'm going to be waiting a long time. I shouldn't even both thinking about AO.
....What games are you actually playing on the Wii/WiiU? I mean there are M rated games - some of them very seriously so. I would know, because I apparently like my games M-rated and that doesn't stop just because I have a Nintendo system. On top of which graphics don't really mean much overall - I mean I know that's the quick thing to jump to but honestly people do in fact like fun. Minecraft is apparently fun for people even though it looks like crap. And so forth. I can play a crappy little game on Kongregate for literal hours inrespective of presentation so long as it's fun. And that's where Nintendo is falling down. They need more of there "We would like to play" type of advertsiing and they need to look at Playstation with their "Keep me hanging on"/ "Worlds to Explore" adverts. So yeah.

My post is not implying that the games DO NOT exist. What I am saying is that Nintendo seems to consciously choose not to fully explore all the mature rated gaming options for fear they will not be seen as a family console. Here is a quote from Nintendo of America president Reggie Fils-Aime:

"The fact of the matter is we know we create great content for younger consumers, we know we've got great content for more casual players, and we want fantastic content for that more active player who loves Metroid or Zelda but maybe also wants something like a BioShock 2 to play as well," claims Reggie. "And we also recognise that we don't create that type of content ourselves. We're not good at it and it's not a key focus area. So we want that content on our platform, so we have to court third-party developers and encourage them to make [those games], but it also has to be financially viable for them as well."
Which I agree. The focus has never been there. Of course Nintendo games are the stars of Nintendo systems but there is room for others to shine.

I like where they are at right now. Honestly, I would prefer they stopped focusing on reinvinting the controller each generation, and just focus on the good games. I get all Nintendo consoles, but I don't care at all about Tablet play or motion control, I always end up with Nintendo for the games.

Personally, graphics aren't a big deal to me, but of course, better graphics are always nice to have! I wouldn't mind paying a little more to have a console with better hardware, but maybe that's just me lol.

Latest threads

Back