Should NX be a console and handheld?

Demon_skeith

Playing
Nintendo 64
Do you think Nintendo should do with the NX what Sony is doing with their playstation? Having both the console and handheld connected together and kind of be one and the same? Wii U kind of does this with its tablet controller.

Basically it would be if you want to take your games on the go you would just take the controller with you to keep playing but if at home you could just play it on the console via a bigger tv screen.

They did have a good idea with the Wii U. But they just didn't support it enough to make a big splash. Now......they have to decide where are they doing to hit. Home consoles or portable. History has already proved that doing both is a failure. They have been successful with portable gaming. It is a different price range then home consoles. But I think the smart phone market has taken so much people away from video game only portable systems. That leaves the home consoles. Now they are already behind the stick and fighting the big gorillas in the room will be their downfall again. Sony and Microsoft will take out 2 Nintendo systems if they do not plan this out right and come out with something that will hit them hard. It has to be more powerful, cheaper, and with fun games.

It would nice if it was a handheld with a 8 to 10 inch screen and controllers built in and access with wifi or bluetooth to a lcd monitor and separate controllers, 3d also, the ability to have google play will open the system up to educational, entertainment, Nintendo forums, family friendly software and other apps, books, magazines, film, music plus nintendos own software, a complete entertainment system....

Last edited:
wow, never thought about it like that. i guess thats why with SSB we have the option to use the 3ds as a controller(no thanks.) i will say since the beginning i have pined for the ability to switch my VC games between wii u and 3ds. id love to play pacman, donkey kong, metroid prime etc, on my 3ds without buying again.

There are rumours that it's not as powerful as the PS4 and Xbox one.

If it's a tablet/hybrid, I would not be unhappy if it s slightly less, same or even more tech then a Ps4/Xbox

Actually, that's not a bad idea. Nintendo's next console may actually turn out to be a bigger success if it's a handheld. For one, this is a market that Nintendo has enjoyed consistent success in. Secondly, more people prefer using a mobile device of some kind. I think the reason for this is because it's more personal. A handheld that can be played on the go but can also be used with any large display, either a computer monitor or television could be a winner.

Not only that, but if they doubled over into both markets and make a dual release it could be the spark needed to push them back into the limelight if they handle it well. Problem is, they're Japanese - and Japanese think traditionally - for the long haul, long term goals. If they played to much to this concept it would not be traditional - too much of a risky gamble. I only see them releasing it as a console, as has been their habit for awhile (either a Handheld OR Console, never both.)

Pretty much in a like mind with Josh. They'd have to hit hard, strong, with a good lineup of games, and make getting the home console worth buying over a handheld (Unless they can match prices and get even cheaper then the WII) - then they'd have a hit. But I doubt it. But hope, right?

I just got another idea that I thought would elevate it over the competition. Now the greatest feature about the PC is the fact that you can always upgrade parts and in your options screen you can dictate what type of graphic quality you want. Why not bring that to the home console? Nintendo can make it so that the NX is able to upgrade it's parts and rev up the graphics. You won't alienate gamers that cant afford the upgraded parts, they just have to turn down the graphics quality in the options menu. This way they will always be on top of the recent technology.

Just a thought and I kind of threw it out there.

While that sounds absolutely amazing, and even revolutionary as an idea - I just don't see that being cost effective. You'd have to balance the console market, the game market, and the parts market. It'll spread you too thin. Your idea is fantastic; but we'd have to cut out a piece of the pie so to speak to get it all oiled and running smoothly.

Though I definitely would want interchangeable parts, I don't see it being feasible for the near future.

I think it would be interesting if the NX was just a Wii U/3DS hybrid.

While that sounds absolutely amazing, and even revolutionary as an idea - I just don't see that being cost effective. You'd have to balance the console market, the game market, and the parts market. It'll spread you too thin. Your idea is fantastic; but we'd have to cut out a piece of the pie so to speak to get it all oiled and running smoothly.

Though I definitely would want interchangeable parts, I don't see it being feasible for the near future.

Disregarding the larger issue of the technical acumen required for direct-access component upgrades, you might be surprised. The answer to Joshposh's question, and the problem I mentioned previously, could conceivably be found in a console version of Razer's Project Christine, where components (storage, processor, GPU assembly, additional logic units, memory, etc) are housed in modular units utilising a robust, interchangeable UHS bus interface. Components, add-ons, upgrades, etc could be swapped out at will allowing the system's power to be tailored to the gamer's taste and the games they're likely to play. Not only would that essentially merge the console and parts team into a unified hardware division, but it would also help Nintendo to suss out probable ROIs for third-party deals and which internal titles to greenlight based on estimates of required resources vs POS records of components and/or system evaluation via the DeNA account system.

Disregarding the larger issue of the technical acumen required for direct-access component upgrades, you might be surprised. The answer to Joshposh's question, and the problem I mentioned previously, could conceivably be found in a console version of Razer's Project Christine, where components (storage, processor, GPU assembly, additional logic units, memory, etc) are housed in modular units utilising a robust, interchangeable UHS bus interface. Components, add-ons, upgrades, etc could be swapped out at will allowing the system's power to be tailored to the gamer's taste and the games they're likely to play. Not only would that essentially merge the console and parts team into a unified hardware division, but it would also help Nintendo to suss out probable ROIs for third-party deals and which internal titles to greenlight based on estimates of required resources vs POS records of components and/or system evaluation via the DeNA account system.

@JohnGrey those are very good points. Nintendo already has a history of doing this, although to a lesser extend. We remember the way the Nintendo 64 had the slot for the Expansion Pack. I think that managed to prolong the life of that console by giving it a boost through its life cycle.

Nintendo also has a very good history with handhelds, and maybe they can elevate what they did with the Wii U and apply it to the NX. It'll be very interesting to see what they come up with, and I hope it's something completely innovative that we haven't seen yet.

Latest threads

Back