So does anyone want to explain TVii to me?

Donkey Punch

Playing
NES
Because I still can't understand what the hell it's going to be. Is it going to be paid? Free? A little bit of both? Is it movies, TV shows, or some crappy streaming content like NASCAR TV etc? I'm really kind of skeptical about the whole thing if you haven't guessed.

My understanding is that TVii is an attempt by Nintendo to become a full "home entertainment system" and replace something like the Roku box or AppleTV, or more directly, an iPad. TVii is going to have streaming video from Netflix, Hulu, Youtube, and others, but it's also going to be able to connect to a TiVo DVR to tap into "real" TV shows as well.

It'll be interesting to see just how much content they've lined up for it, and if they are able to add more as it goes. However, for the launch, they do have all of the name-brand partners ready to go.

Screen_shot_2012-09-13_at_12.57.32_PM_610x356.png

(Image via Nintendo)

Oh that's pretty neat. I hadn't heard that you'd be able to watch the videos via the secondary screen.

I wonder if they'll intergrate with other DVRs like the ones given by cable/sattelite providers. Or if the hacking community will somehow enable playback of MKV/AVI and the like.

The WiiU just got a lot more interesting...

They did have a real digital TV tuner with an antenna for DS in Japan, which was pretty successful. No reason for Nintendo not to try experiment with TV on the Wii U. Besides, content providers are itching to get their apps on as menu platforms as possible, so Nintendo had no trouble signing up big names like Hulu Plus, Amazon Prime, etc.

I will definitely be giving this a try. All I have as far a TV goes right now is Netflix through my Wii. This sounds like it might be almost as good as a regular cable TV package.

I will definitely be giving this a try. All I have as far a TV goes right now is Netflix through my Wii. This sounds like it might be almost as good as a regular cable TV package.

If you've got a TiVo box, then yes, it'll be exactly the same as your cable TV- my understanding is that you'll be able to stream media off a supported TiVo box and onto the WiiU. Nintendo is really trying to make the WiiU an entire "multimedia entertainment system" and not just something for games.

I remember during the E3 conference I felt kind of confused about all of these special bells and whistles. If they had simply said "You can watch TV on your WiiU" I would have understood immediately. I don't know, I'm a bit slow on the uptake.

This sounds like a good idea really. If it works well and I can walk aroun with the controller wirelessly like a tablet watching Netflix then that's great. I mean look at the Xbox 360. Yes you can download te Netflix app but you can't watch anything unless you subscribe to Xbox live! WTH?

My understanding is that TVii is an attempt by Nintendo to become a full "home entertainment system" and replace something like the Roku box or AppleTV, or more directly, an iPad. TVii is going to have streaming video from Netflix, Hulu, Youtube, and others, but it's also going to be able to connect to a TiVo DVR to tap into "real" TV shows as well.

It'll be interesting to see just how much content they've lined up for it, and if they are able to add more as it goes. However, for the launch, they do have all of the name-brand partners ready to go.

Screen_shot_2012-09-13_at_12.57.32_PM_610x356.png

(Image via Nintendo)

So basically they are just expanding their streaming access? The Wii already had Netflix, Amazon video and Hulu capability.

Yup, just an attempt to offer more. It's an interesting idea but I'd have to see it do something special for it to replace other things in my life, lol.

I think they shut the service down now.

Well the one word that you keep seeing again and again is attempt, and I am going to go ahead and say that it did not really pan out. I cannot speak to specifics about whether it is still around or anything or being upgraded, but I have moved on since hearing about it and I am pretty sure that I am not alone there. Maybe they will get it one day, but I would like to see them stay focused on the games.

Latest posts

Latest threads

Back