Street Fighter 2

Thomas Ennis

From
Albuquerque
Playing
Super NES
Did anybody else here play Street Fighter 2? I used to play it all the time, day and night. Fighting games were unknown to me before I played SF2, and it started a trend for me that included Mortal Kombat, Killer Instinct, Primal Rage and any obscure fighting game I could get my hands on. By todays standard, SF2 is pretty lame, but it still holds some of it's nostalgia value for me.

I never played it, my first fighting game was super smash bros on the N64, but man did I play that for hours and hours and hours!

I had played quite a few games before Street Fighter 2 even came out.

I had an Amiga 500 which had games like James Pond Robocod and Turbo Outrun that ran off floppy disks.
When SF2 came out It was on 2 floppy disks and had this message from the US government at the start saying something like, 'Winners Don't use Drugs!'. Subliminals or what!

My cousin who is mixed race would always say how racist it was that the black guy was getting knocked out by the white guy, Lol!

Ahh, the good old days of only 8 players to choose from and your super moves were even a single Hadouken or a dragon Punch :)

LALucien said:
I had played quite a few games before Street Fighter 2 even came out.

I had an Amiga 500 which had games like James Pond Robocod and Turbo Outrun that ran off floppy disks.
When SF2 came out It was on 2 floppy disks and had this message from the US government at the start saying something like, 'Winners Don't use Drugs!'. Subliminals or what!

My cousin who is mixed race would always say how racist it was that the black guy was getting knocked out by the white guy, Lol!

Ahh, the good old days of only 8 players to choose from and your super moves were even a single Hadouken or a dragon Punch :)
The good old days indeed! I played Street Fight 2 to death. When Mortal Kombat came out, that all changed for me. Teenage boys are fascinated by violent video games, and seeing blood and hearts being ripped out was the perfect way to feed that morbid fascination. The fact that parents hated that game made it all the more appealing.

To bad I had Mortal Combat for the SNES... Not a lot of blood there.

BanjoKazooie said:
Yeah, Nintendo went for the family focused version of the game. How any 100% fighting based game where the characters are demons and scantily clad women is family focused, I don't know?

However the mega drive version was lovely and bloody!

@thomas ennis you're right. The fact that parents didn't like it made us all want to play it more! Ahh, the small rebellious victories of youth!

BanjoKazooie said:
Yeah the SNES didn't have any blood on the first one. I ended up getting MK1 on the Genesis instead, which also didn't have blood normally, but you were able to put in a code that enabled all the blood and fatalities. By the time Mortal Kombat 2 came out, Nintendo had dropped that policy and realized they couldn't compete in the violent video game world unless they had blood and guts. Consequently, MK2 was much better on the SNES.

I used to play Street Fighter 2 constantly. I started off playing it in the arcade, spending like 2 or 3 dollars a day. When it came out for the Super NES, I bought it the day it came out, along with the huge joystick controller. It was awesome, it was just laike the arcade, though I do recall them adding a few bonuse levels. What I remember the most is how much money i saved after i bought it lol.

I did the same thing with Mortal Kombat. I used to spend most of my allowance at the local Hobby Lobby playing the first MK. When the game came out on the home systems, I could play an unlimited amount of time for a set dollar amount. Actually, my parents kind of limited me.

I used to play Street Fighter on the Super Nintendo all of the time. There were 4 SNES Street Fighter games

Street Fighter 2: The World Warrior
Street Fighter 2 Turbo: Hyper Fighting
Super Street Fighter 2: The New Challengers
Street Fighter Alpha 2

But, since this thread is about Street Fighter 2.. then, I have to talk about my favorite Street Fighter 2 version... Super Street Fighter 2: The New Challengers.

I played this version more than all of the other 3 SNES Street Fighter games combined. Seriously. This was always my favorite of the SNES titles. I would of liked, and played, Alpha 2 more. But, for one I liked Alpha 3 on the Playstation so much more. And 2, Alpha 2 on the SNES suffered from slowdowns regularly. Which took away from the game. Also, I didn't play Street Fighter on the Genesis much. I did a few times. But I liked the SNES versions much much better.

My brother, and cousins, and friends, and I, would play against each other in Super Street Fighter 2 so much. I remember when the movie came out. We were there, first day, first showing. Everybody at school was talking about going. And boom, first day, first showing, everybody was at the theater. I saw kids from my class all over that theater. Good times. And then, the moment the movie was over, we wanted to get that bad taste out of our mouths, so we went home and played Street Fighter 2 on the SNES, and forgot all about that movie. Tho, we did discuss how we could of wrote a better script for the film. I could go on and on about that movie. But not now. Another time.

However, since Mortal Kombat was already brought up in this thread, I'll add a little bit about that. First off, in all honesty, I preferred Mortal Kombat on the Sega Genesis better than the Super Nintendo version. Now, the Super Nintendo version looked better, sure. I'll give it that. Also, there was the blood issue with that game... you know, not having it, and all. However, I honestly liked the controls better on the Genesis. For some reason, it felt easier for me to pull of the moves and fatalities on the Genesis version than I could on the SNES. The Genesis version didn't look as sharp, however, it, for me, controlled much better. By comparison, the SNES controls felt too stiff and laggy for me. Sure, the game looked better, but it didn't control better. I had a harder time pulling things off for some reason. I mean, I could still do everything, but it didn't feel as quick or as comfortable or as smooth as the Genesis version. So I liked the Genesis version much better in terms of control. Also, the music stood out too. The SNES version felt kind of drab in the music department. It was clear and all, but sounded muffled at times. The Genesis version sounded rough around the edges, however, it also felt more lively and upbeat. The SNES sound made it feel like a drag or downer playing that game. But the Genesis music was more upbeat and alive. Got you in a 'fighting' mood. It didn't 'bore you to death' like the SNES's music did. The SNES got more of the actual fighting sound effects right. But the Genesis had the better music, even if it did sound more "rough" and had that 'Genesis' feel to it at times.

So, in the end, I have to give the Graphics and Sound Effects and voice acting to the SNES version. But the Controls, Music, and Fatalities, have to go to the Genesis version. And, in the end, even tho the SNES looked more like the arcade version, I had more fun on the Genesis version. Oh, and the blood was nice too. But the blood wasn't a make or break feature.

However, for Mortal Kombat 2, that's all SNES all the way there. It not only looked better, but controlled better, and had smooth controls. It made the Genesis version look completely outdated, even tho they were released at the same time.

So, for me, it was Genesis for part 1, and SNES for part 2. I only played part 3 in the arcades, and on the Genesis version. I don't recall playing Mortal Kombat 3 on the SNES. So I can't speak for part 3. If I had to guess, I would guess that the SNES version was better. But, again, I can't say for sure. So, for me, the score is tied, 1-1, for Mortal Kombat on the Genesis and SNES.

However, between all of the Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter games on the SNES and Genesis, Super Street Fighter 2: The New Challengers, for the SNES, was my favorite, and easily trumps them all for me.

Of my all time favorite Street Fighter or Street Fighter related games.. My all time favorite list includes..

Super Street Fighter 2: The New Challengers
Street Fighter Alpha 3
Capcom VS SNK 2

Street Fighter 2 was my favorite game for a good bit of my childhood. There was a barbershop around the corner from my house and I would save my change to able to play when I'd get my haircut. I used to hate the neighborhood kids back then because people would put in extra quarters, so when they'd lose they could just hit start and play again. I din't have too much time to enjoy the street fighter 2 games before Alpha came out. I liked the cleaner look and feel of the newer games more but SF2 will always hold a special place in my heart.

I have never selected a character that was not Ken in a SF game. Twenty years of picking the same character, except in the crossover titles that don't feature him.

Those were the good old days. Street Fighter and Mortal Combat, That brings back good memories. I was in highschool at the time. I use to waste days playing against my friends. I have to say i miss the older games like that. It would be cool if Nintendo made a Street Fighter and a mortal combat for the Wii.

Yup, memories. Playing those and having pizza parties and chilling with friends. Shortly in the future, the Halo Lan parties would take over that slot, but playing multiplayer games or single player and switching off - it was fun regardless to play Street Fighter. Always has been. Still addicted to it today.

The Street Fighter series has never truly resonated with me. I don't doubt the quality of the SF games, they are damn good and I absolutely love SF Alpha 2 & 3. But Street Fighter 2 just never got me excited. The only fighting game series that I actually care for are Guilty Gear and King of Fighters. I also have a soft spot for Rival Schools: United by Fate on the PS1 and Persona 4 Arena Ultimax.

Street Fighter V is out or will be out soon. I play the hell out of Mortal Kombat X on my PC. I haven't stopped playing these two titles since they came out. I had Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition or something like that for my PS3 but it got boring way to fast. I ended up on the Mortal Kombat that came out in 2011. I actually still play that one. Both the 2011 and 2015 Mortal Kombat's have excellent story modes. As long as they keep making games like these i will keep playing them.

Here are my favorites and what systems i played them on. Sorry SF IV isn't included. Other than looking nice it just was the same ol' thing as the older ones IMO.

Street Fighter 2 Hyper (Genesis), and Alpha 1-3 (Sega Saturn & Dreamcast)
Mortal Kombat 1,2 and 3 (Genesis) Ultimate MK3 (Saturn) Mortal Kombat Self Titled and Mortal Kombat X (PC)

I still have my original copy of SFII. Love the series! I remember one time I did a 360 pile driver on my brother's character in front of his friends.... it was epic.

I have my copy of SF2 Turbo in my SNES at this moment, lol. That was probably my favorite one. I think my brother has SF4 on the xbo 360. That series has always been about quality fighting, I like it a lot.

Street Fighter 2 had its quality although I felt Mortal Kombat was more superior. Yet Street Fighter 2 was simple and for me.. it was easy as hell to win so I'll always have love for the game,

Yes! I love that game.
Vega was the character that would have my brother screaming at me when we played.
We're into the same beat-em ups.
The detail on primal rage was great, even flicking the cavemen into the air.
I can't remember what the baboon was called in it but was great to him to to throw his own mess.
Wasn't that game an 18?

Latest posts

Latest threads

Back