Super Mario 64 DS - Worth it?

Hyrule Chicken

From
Canada
Playing
Super NES
Super Mario 64 remains one of the best Nintendo 64 titles (or games for that matter) ever. I, like many of you, spend hours upon hours trying to collect everything and uncovering all of the secrets in the original. I'm a bit behind the times, but I'm noticing that they released a version for the DS.

Is it worth me getting the DS version? Is it just a graphical remake, or do you find it better than the original?

To be frank, it's not as good as the Nintendo 64 version. The controls are a little wonky, and not starting as Mario is a downright crime. However, I still think it's worth looking at. I don't think it's as good as the Nintendo 64 version but that's my favorite video game of all time, so that's not saying much. I like the mini games and extra characters that were added and the graphics are a bit better as well. However, I still wish they would have waited to remake the game on the 3DS or Wii U like Ocarina of Time and Wind Waker instead of just redoing it on the DS.

I never bought Super Mario 64 DS because of the handheld's digital controls. If the DS came with an analog nub then I would definitely consider it. There simply isn't a good way to play 3D games without proper analog controls. Even the stylus doesn't cut it and it's a poor substitute. I still have my original copy of Super Mario 64 on the N64 which I've already beaten 3 times.

I have it downloaded on my Wii through the Virtual Console and I'm using the classic controller, I was just curious about the DS version since I hear there are more characters and so on. It's a good point @Damien Lee regarding the controller feel, I'm not a fan of touch either.

I play it primarily on the Wii U virtual console since I can use the Wii U Pro Controller and that's my favorite Nintendo controller of all time :p

Latest posts

Latest threads

Back