Super Smash Bros. Character Roster

Lawnachaun

From
California
Playing
Wii U
Z7GiwbM.png

Nintendo just revealed another character that will be playable in Super Smash Bros. .. Toon Link, from The Wind Waker.

In light of that, I thought that I'd compile a list of known characters from the game, and keep track of them here. The first Smash Bros game only had 12 characters. Melee had 26. Brawl had 37. So I'm going to guess that this new Smash Bros game is going to have at least 40 characters. Tho, that may be excessive. But I'm going to guess at least 40.

So, with that said, I figured I'd keep the confirmed list as an on going thing. See what happens. So far, here are the confirmed playable characters in the new Super Smash Bros game...

--
Toon Link
Peach
Luigi
Pikmin & Olimar
Animal Crossing Villager
Mario
Donkey Kong
Mega Man
Wii Fit Trainer
Link
Samus
Kirby
Fox McCloud
Pikachu
Bowser
Pit
Sonic the Hedgehog

So far.. that's 17 names. ***UPDATED On: October 1, 2013***

Does anybody want to guess who else will be confirmed.

I'm going to guess that; Captain Falcon, Jigglypuff, Ness, and Yoshi, will all make returning appearances.

Who would you like to see return, and who would you like to see be replaced with somebody else. Also, since there seems to be a lot of new characters this time around, who would you like to see make a surprise appearance in the series.

For my surprise appearance, I'm going to guess.. Toad (from the Mario games), Starfy (from the Starfy games), Little Mac (from the Punch Out games). And, maybe that Brain Age guy could be a boss, or something, seeing as how he'd be too difficult to be a playable character.

Anyways, that's my thoughts on it. What are your thoughts on it.

Sakurai said not every character from Brawl will be back, so there may not be so much overlap with the old roster.

crunchyg said:
Sakurai said not every character from Brawl will be back, so there may not be so much overlap with the old roster.
True, however, when I said Captain Falcon, Jigglypuff, Ness, and Yoshi, as possibly returning, it's because those are the only unconfirmed characters who have been in all of the previous games. Every other character that has been in the franchise has missed at least one or more in the series. So, knowing that, I think it's a safe bet that these 4 will be returning, since they are from the original game, and have never missed an appearance. So I'm willing to say that they won't miss this round either. I can't say the same for the rest. I'm sure some will be taken out, but I'm also sure that others may replace them. However, I can't think of too many more "surprise" characters who could make an appearance, since Sakurai also said that he doesn't want a bunch of non-Nintendo characters. A few is fine, which is why Snake and Megaman and those type of characters, have made an appearance in the franchise. But I'm not expecting any more non-Nintendo characters for this game. Even so, Nintendo still has a lot of characters too choose from, who have never been in a Smash Bros game. So it should be fun to speculate on who could make an appearance and who gets left out of this round.

As for those who have made an appearance in Brawl, but I think won't return in this game, are... (and this is just a guess)

Mr. Game & Watch
Zero Suit Samus
Wolf
Snake
R.O.B.
and either; Ike, King Dedede, Lucario, and/or Lucas.

But that's just my guess. Only time will tell. Do you have any guesses on who will or won't make the cut this time around?

I'm secretly hoping they will include all the previous characters, and the producers just want to surprise us. Having said that, King Dedede, Lucas, and Wolf were a waste. Zero Suit Samus should be an alternate costume for Samus, because by definition a suit is a costume.

As far as 3rd party characters, Snake also was a huge disappointment, he is just too bland. I wish Konami would have given us Alucard or Simon Belmont instead. Either of those two would have made kick-ass Smash Bros fighters. Konami has a lot of other colorful characters too: Goemon, the weird characters from Parodius or other fantasy shooters, the list goes on. But Snake... smh.

Megaman should be fun, but I would have also loved Ryu. Of course, Capcom is probably stingy about Ryu since he is their breadwinner for pretty much every fighting game. Also, once you include one Street Fighter character, the temptation is too big to include others, and that's a can of worms, because you don't want to turn Smash Bros into Nintendo vs Capcom.

Sonic will be back for sure.

Honestly, I think that Capcom is already thinking about a "Street Fighter vs Smash Bros" crossover game.. or perhaps a "Capcom vs Nintendo" fighting game.. Knowing Capcom, and all of the Street Fighter VS's games that they did, I wouldn't put it past them to want to have a crossover with Smash Bros, or Nintendo in general.

crunchyg said:
Yeah,

What really sucks is that Sakurai also said that the character count will not be higher which means only 35 or 39 (if you count Squirtle, Charizard, Ivysaur, Sheik, and Zero Suit Samus)

So that means we have a limited space for new characters which means some old ones will have to go. It really bothers me that we have Wii U Fit Trainer who has hardly any relevance and no personality.

Nintendo just announced that Sonic the Hedgehog will officially be a participant in the new Smash Bros game, during today's Nintendo Direct. So I have updated the list in the first post accordingly. I'll keep that list updated as new names are officially announced. But yeah, Sonic is back. So there you go.

I am very happy about this. I liked Sonic, he wasn't in my top group, but I think his presence should be in Smash Bros.

Just a RUMOR at this point... but..

K2CeaCo.png

5ZOH1Yc.jpg

Just found these two pictures online. Not sure if they are real, or a fake mock up, or whatever. But, if real, this could mean that Mewtwo will be an official character in the game. I can't confirm that at this time. Again, can't even confirm that these pics are real.

Either way, what do you think. Would you like to see Mewtwo in the new Super Smash Bros. game. Mewtwo has only appeared in Super Smash Bros. Melee, on the Gamecube. He was not in the original Super Smash Bros. for the N64, nor Super Smash Bros. Brawl, on the Wii. So, this could be his "comeback", if these pictures are accurate, and he really is returning to the franchise.

What are your thoughts on these pictures. Do you think they are real, or fake. Do you want them to be real or fake. What about the idea of Mewtwo making a return to the franchise.

I hated that they replaced Mewto with Lucario in Brawl. I hate all "clone" substitutes, period, including Ike/Roy, different versions of Ganondorf, Zero Suit Samus etc.

Wow. That was all of the characters announced at the time? Crazy...
Little Mac (from the Punch Out games)
You were right about that one.
Mr. Game & Watch
Zero Suit Samus
Wolf
Snake
R.O.B.
and either; Ike, King Dedede, Lucario, and/or Lucas.
Wrong on almost every one except for Wolf and Snake. Funny to see things from so long ago that are now here.

Latest posts

Latest threads

Back