Switch buying thread

Shane

From
Illinois
I thought it would be cool to have a thread where people buying or thinking about buying a Switch can ask questions and get answers.

ms4ukjciesvqdklunhap.jpg

Anyone else worried that the top franchise game (Mario) won't be released until the holiday season?

Yes beatlesfan317 but I think there will be so many great small developer games, it won't matter. I think there will be more games than what is on the picture, such as Yooka-Laylee or however it is spelled.

:)

First of all I have to say that I came in with high hopes for the NS, but came away from the Japanese presentation very underwhelmed and disappointed. Mostly due to a lack of launch titles, very expensive peripherals, and the fact that they are going to charge for a notoriously bad online service. And the fact that we still do not have specific specs on the console. Nintendo also seems to, yet again, be focusing on motion controls, which brings me to my question.

Is Zelda: Breath of the Wild going to force us to play with motion controls, like the previous two Zelda titles, or will we be able to play with regular controllers like the Pro controller?

Well if you watched the Fallon show that Miyamoto and Reggie went to, they were able to play Zelda in standard Handheld Mode with the default configuration, which makes me think you can also play with a standard controller.

Also, regarding specs, the Switch is 99% Maxwell Tegra x1 for two reasons: One, according to Eurogamer it achieves up to a 768MHz GPU clock, and that's exactly the same as the Shield TV with the Tegra X1, as revealed by someone who knew what they were doing. Two, the battery life just doesn't scream "Pascal!!!"

However, here is what matters: if recent reports are to be believed, it plays Mario Kart 8 when docked at 1080p, and Zelda when docked at 900p, while the Wii U is going to do both at only 720p. That's pretty good.

hate to be a party pooper, but i gotta let it out: MK8 Deluxe? Really? i have played MK8 back and forth plenty enough. Why should i be excited for this? What all new things are we getting? I see a few new characters....

I have heard that on Switch, the game runs at 1080p when docked vs. 720p on the Wii U. While that doesn't sound like much, that's twice the pixels.

Also, I believe you get 2 item slots in this game instead of one. I wouldn't put a few new characters and tracks past them as well.

Lastly, you can sell your old copy on Ebay/Amazon or trade it in at Gamestop for probably around $30 and get this new game for $60.

Is it all worth it? Well don't buy a Switch just for this game, but if you are buying a Switch anyway and play Mario Kart a lot, it might be worth it.

i will definatley get mario kart 8 . i never got wii u so havnt played it yet. i still love to play mario kart 7

I have to say, im rather excited about arms, splat 2, and mario odyssey. I cant wait to get my hands on them. Im not entirely sure if i will buy mk8 deluxe when it comes out, but i like it as well

MK8 Deluxe is also running at 60fps on YouTube, which is pretty incredible for a Nintendo game. :wideyed:

Well if you watched the Fallon show that Miyamoto and Reggie went to, they were able to play Zelda in standard Handheld Mode with the default configuration, which makes me think you can also play with a standard controller.

Also, regarding specs, the Switch is 99% Maxwell Tegra x1 for two reasons: One, according to Eurogamer it achieves up to a 768MHz GPU clock, and that's exactly the same as the Shield TV with the Tegra X1, as revealed by someone who knew what they were doing. Two, the battery life just doesn't scream "Pascal!!!"

However, here is what matters: if recent reports are to be believed, it plays Mario Kart 8 when docked at 1080p, and Zelda when docked at 900p, while the Wii U is going to do both at only 720p. That's pretty good.

I think it is Pascal based.

Whether it's Maxwell or Pascal, the easier-to-develop-for architecture and apparent 4GB RAM could spell a huge difference alone. I think we should look to the actual game capabilities such as apparently how Mario Kart 8 Switch has twice the pixels on the TV screen as Mario Kart Wii U on the TV. 720p to 1080p is twice the pixels to process.

Anyone else worried that the top franchise game (Mario) won't be released until the holiday season?

Nintendo needs a big title for the holiday season Mario is that title. If they can release Mario in October they will capture a big portion of the holiday gaming purchases and sell a bunch of systems to boot.

Nintendo needs a big title for the holiday season Mario is that title. If they can release Mario in October they will capture a big portion of the holiday gaming purchases and sell a bunch of systems to boot.
I can't remember where I read this now, but I seem to remember having read that Mario Odysee would be a September release. Makes sense for them to have titles coming out in the months just before xmas, as that's when alot of people will be shopping. So they'll most likely do well from both the people who will be getting consoles for xmas, and also from people who already own the console and will be wanting this game for xmas. (Hopefully it's sooner rather than later though, as I'm really looking forward to this game!). Have pre-ordered it on Amazon already though (as they don't actually charge your card until they dispatch it), so for me this seemed the best way to make sure I get one the moment it comes out! (and saves me having to frantically check like the sleep depraved addict that I know I'd be, screaming "are we nearly there yet" like some 4 year old in the back seat. (...okay, admittedly I'll probably still be thinking this!) :)

UPDATE: After having written this, I have just noticed something weird on Amazon this morning about the release dates for Super Mario Odysee....

On Amazon UK, it currently says Available on February 2tst (so I got all excited there for a moment!)
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01MUA0D2A

However, then I double-checked this on Amazon USA, but there it says Available December 29th
https://www.amazon.com/Super-Mario-Odyssey-Nintendo-Switch/dp/B01MY7GHKJ

(obviously, they can't both be correct, and I strongly suspect that the February date on the UK version is definitely wrong) -it's also possible that they both are.

But something worth keeping our eye out on! (most likely they will correct them once they figure out their mistake)

Latest posts

Latest threads

Back