Tempered Glass pointless

AlmightyKoz

i know this is my first post but i wanted to just say something the tempered glass screen protectors are almost pointless, reason being this has a plastic screen thats hard to shatter(easy to scratch though) the point of tempered glass is to take the force of the drop and for it to shatter and not your screen. Tempered Glass does scratch fairly easily ive scratched the orzly ones for my iphone with keys in my pocket and once with a tiny bit of sand from the beach...

I do recomend screen protectors for the switch as it scratches very easily, the one i have had the easiest time installing with no bubbles or noticible dust is the new one from Skinomi, i bought mine from amazon they send you two, they dont scratch easily and offer way better protection then those cheap plastic ones.

now my main problem with tempered glass is its thickness and the fact they crack easily also they add more weight to the system then the skinomi.

skinomi one has one drawback for the first few days youll see alot of "microbubbles" but they go away within a few days, mine didsappeared in less then 72 hours and the skinomi is perfectly clear;....one note people who review this saying it was hard to install most likely didnt use enough liquid as they always think thats bad, the liquid is supposedly not conductive hell i got some in the speakers when applying it and nothing happened, ive had that happen on iphones and ipads with no issues;

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B06W5QVSH2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That's weird because I have been using Orzly for years and I have barely scratched them (except for falling off my bike) so I don't understand what you are saying.

Besides you're contradicting yourself in terms of them having bubbles. There are many normal film protectors that have 5 included so just letting you know :)

ive used spigens maybe they arent as good or scratch resistant but i also live on the jersey shore so sand is pretty cmon and sand can scratch a 9h hardness of tempered glass easily. The Skinomi doesnt get regular bubbles it has microbubbles that go away after a few days its from the liquid application.

ive used spigens maybe they arent as good or scratch resistant but i also live on the jersey shore so sand is pretty cmon and sand can scratch a 9h hardness of tempered glass easily. The Skinomi doesnt get regular bubbles it has microbubbles that go away after a few days its from the liquid application.
Interesting what you say about the adhesive! I still prefer the Glass ones though myself, as for me it's much more about actually stopping my Switch screen from breaking (something I'm quite paranoid about), rather than just having something to stop fingerprints. But I'll have to keep my eye out for the special adhesive stuff though, as while I'd still be very wary about wanting to put a liquid on my device, I do still believe that it would be possible, and naturally I'm quite curious as to how well the microbubble stuff works, and if it's really true about not getting any. The built in adhesive on the tempered glass ones are still excellent though, and the glass being perfectly straight means they're much less prone to bubbles than regular foil types anyway, but I'm all for progress though, So if the microbubble technology ever becomes a standard thing in future, ultimately I'd want them to be a best of both worlds solution where they were still proper tempered glass to protect from breaking, but with an adhesive that was 100% fool proof rather than just 99% (anything I've ever seen on the market even with the best adhesive in the world it's still possible to get dust under it when you install one, so I think that's a problem that literally no adhesive could fix. However, I will happily be proven wrong!

I've seen so many drop test done on the switch and none had a broken screen it's the reason I think Nintendo went with plastic over glass

Makes sense! (also I think because plastic is more child friendly, I'm sure they factored tat into their decision making aswell).
That said, they can still get scratched up quite easily when carried in a bag with other things though (even inside a proper case that we're bound to bring other stuff in like cables, cartridges, or other joycons, etc) So I'd still never dare to risk bringing mine anywhere with me without a proper tempered glass on there externally though, as I'd rather be safe than sorry. I can always replace an external screen if that's what cracks, but if anything ever happened to the one on the device though, that's a much messier (and more expensive) problem. (not to mention the repair time I'd be without my console while getting it serviced).

To get an idea of how the screens can get scratched up though,this is a good video showing just how vulnerable they are...
(anyone watching this video should be advised though, if seeing a switch get destroyed like this guy did makes you feel queasy, you should look away now...)
(...would never want this to happen to mine!)

Very interesting video though! -This guy shows you everything inside and how it works too!

i have my doubts on the screens breaking easy though being this guy is jamming his thumbs into the screen trying to bend the sucker, also there are drop videos floating around and none of them have broken a screen without purposely breaking the screen by throwing or hitting it with a hamnmer, i think scratches is all you got to worry bout and since i already broken a tempered glass one, yes i tried one it took 4 days of use for it to crack it was a orzly, cracked while it was in my case with usb cable think it happened when i tossed the case into the back seat of the car. the screen is fine and i dont think that would have cracked the actual screen i have since went back to my skinomi, i have tossed it a few times with that protector with no issues. Hell even doing a google search i didnt find anything except orange or blue screen of death. i still stand by my suggestion of not using Tempered Glass, it adds weight and i honestly dont think it adds any real benefit besides adding another piece of glass that chips and cracks easy Doesnt take much force to crack one. i also look at it another way i never had one on my launch day wiiU and other then the touchscreen part wearing out never had that crack and ive beaten the crap out of that one plus it didnt have the outside layer of plastic this one has... I DO say any screen protector is better then none, and tempered glass does feel damn good to the touch when compared to cheap plastic pdp one.

Intresting !! I am quite curious as to how well the microbubble stuff works, and if it's really true about not getting any.

i have my doubts on the screens breaking easy though being this guy is jamming his thumbs into the screen trying to bend the sucker, also there are drop videos floating around and none of them have broken a screen without purposely breaking the screen by throwing or hitting it with a hamnmer, i think scratches is all you got to worry bout and since i already broken a tempered glass one, yes i tried one it took 4 days of use for it to crack it was a orzly, cracked while it was in my case with usb cable think it happened when i tossed the case into the back seat of the car. the screen is fine and i dont think that would have cracked the actual screen i have since went back to my skinomi, i have tossed it a few times with that protector with no issues. Hell even doing a google search i didnt find anything except orange or blue screen of death. i still stand by my suggestion of not using Tempered Glass, it adds weight and i honestly dont think it adds any real benefit besides adding another piece of glass that chips and cracks easy Doesnt take much force to crack one. i also look at it another way i never had one on my launch day wiiU and other then the touchscreen part wearing out never had that crack and ive beaten the crap out of that one plus it didnt have the outside layer of plastic this one has... I DO say any screen protector is better then none, and tempered glass does feel damn good to the touch when compared to cheap plastic pdp one.
To be fair, i don't think you can use a glass protector in the Wii U, thanks to it having a resistive screen. And if the Switch's screen is plastic, then that would explain why the glass protectors keep on cracking.

i never had one on my launch day wiiU and other then the touchscreen part wearing out never had that crack and ive beaten the crap out of that one plus it didnt have the outside layer of plastic this one has... I DO say any screen protector is better then none, and tempered glass does feel damn good to the touch when compared to cheap plastic pdp one.
Yeah, I never put one on my WiiU either. (completely pointless having any kind of screen protector on a WiiU, as it's a home console so never goes out anywhere, so is never in a situation that would warrant one). I never needed one on my 3DS either, as the lid automatically protects the screen in that way (and I really wish the Switch had that sort of mechanism). However, as the Switch I do take out everywhere, and the screen is just open like that, whether it would survive it or not, I still wouldn't ever dare bring it anywhere with me without being sure that it had something solid on it to physically shield it (whether that be a case or a glass screen, so long as it had something).

I initially wanted to use that case by PowerA that sort of makes it clamshell like a 3DS, but whenever you use it in GamePad mode, it has this annoying flap that gets in your way (so they would have been better off magentizing the back of it, so that the lid stays secured out of the way round the back during play. (they only magnetized the front so that it stays shut while closed, but not when open, so when playing it with that case on, it just sort of flaps about in the air, which would have really annoyed me when playing). Shame though ,because it looks nice, just not very practical, all things considered.

But yes, this is one of the many drawbacks with the switch in general, and I still feel that while the Switch is better than the WiiU as a home console in the sense that I'm not just limited to playing in the same room, the WiiU definitely feels more comfortable to play, and it was definitely alot more robust. The 3DS is still way more convenient to use as a portable handheld, because I didn't need to bother with even a case for that. (Just stuck it in my jeans pocket, and away you go). But I do still love my Switch though, as it is nice being able to play more powerful console games when out about, so each has its advantages and drawbacks.

Makes sense! (also I think because plastic is more child friendly, I'm sure they factored tat into their decision making aswell).
That said, they can still get scratched up quite easily when carried in a bag with other things though (even inside a proper case that we're bound to bring other stuff in like cables, cartridges, or other joycons, etc) So I'd still never dare to risk bringing mine anywhere with me without a proper tempered glass on there externally though, as I'd rather be safe than sorry. I can always replace an external screen if that's what cracks, but if anything ever happened to the one on the device though, that's a much messier (and more expensive) problem. (not to mention the repair time I'd be without my console while getting it serviced).

To get an idea of how the screens can get scratched up though,this is a good video showing just how vulnerable they are...
(anyone watching this video should be advised though, if seeing a switch get destroyed like this guy did makes you feel queasy, you should look away now...)
(...would never want this to happen to mine!)

Very interesting video though! -This guy shows you everything inside and how it works too!
Cheers, it makes me all the happier I've got a screen protector

Me too. Not that I'll ever knock anyone for having a different opinion to me. (They're all valid points, and nobody's wrong to prefer doing things the way they feel most comfortable with) but yep, I definitely fall under the same camp as you where the glass versions are still by far my own personal preferred method of doing it, and despite some very good arguments being made by people to have gone about it in different ways, I'd still genuinely feel quite scared of doing it any other way. (but that's just personal preference, so no-one should take what I say as gospel. People like what they like, and I neither wish to convert nor be converted), so live and let live, and each to their own I say! Plenty of ways to skin a cat (though funnily enough, not so many ways to skin a switch!) lol.

Last edited:
Fair enough, glass screen protectors are probably somehow designed in a way so that if they do crack the sharp edges won't gouge the softer screen plastic when you try to take it off...

Yeah, fortunately that's how most of the good ones work. (well, almost...) -Fortunately, most of the best ones out there don't even leave sharp edges. Of course, I can only speak for the ones I've actually used, but while I've only ever used the orzly ones on my switch, I have used quite a few types of varying different brands in the past for my phone, and while the types of adhesives each brand use can vary quite alot, one thing that most of them do have in common is that the type of glass they use is usually shatterproof. (by that, it doesn't mean you can't crack them. -They can if they're dropped hard enough). But what shatterproof means is that all the pieces stay together instead of ending up in lots of separate pieces. (kinda like how the the safety glass works that is used in certain types of windows). If you've ever been into a school building, you may have seen the types of windows that I'm referring to (obviously they don't use the exact same glass, but it's the best way I can describe it, as the concept of how it works is quite similar).

I probably didn't do a great job of explaining it well, but here's a picture I stole straight off the amazon website that can probably do a better on of explaining what I mean...
71qYcoIfPWL._SL1500_.jpg

As for if the adhesive leaves marks, fortunately I have never personally come across a screen protector of any type that ever left marks on a screen (neither the glass types that I use nor the standard types that some of my friends use). Just because I've never seen it happen, doesn't mean there aren't bad ones out there that exists like that. -I'm sure there will always be companies who have not thought their design through, but I've never personally known anyone to come across that problem (That would be a very big design flaw, so anyone doing that wouldn't survive long, and I'd imagine they'd have tonnes of angry customers suing them for having ruined their expensive devices)

But fortunately all the ones I've ever tried don't even leave a marks at all (and even the ones that leave a tiny residue are wiped off really easily by the alcoholic wipe that is provided with most of them). The only way that adhesives even vary from brands is more to do with just things like how well they stick in the first place, and if they are not covered evenly and leave unstuck patches, etc.)

Thanks. I can't take the credit for the image though. (That one I robbed straight off their Amazon page!) lol.

Latest posts

Latest threads

Back