The greatest SNES game ever

crossunitedfate

The Super Nintendo was a beast of a machine back in the day. This is indesputable. And being a beast means having some damn good games to take advantage of said beast. But which game do you think was the greatest on the system.

My vote will be more along the RPG range as that's my preference genre. So my pick would be Secret of Mana.

What's yours?

Secret of Mana was really good. I can't get over A Link to the Past, though. That was probably the best game on the SNES for me.

Truth be told, a Link to the Past was the last time Zelda's story made any sense (personal opinion). Now they have all these branching worlds and stories depending on what the player did in Majora's Mask. Which makes both the kiddie zelda games and the more serious ones both canon.

Nice in theory, poor in execution

Don't bash Majora's Mask! That was probably one of my favorite Zelda games and definetely the most underrated.

As for my the SNES's greatest game, that's hard to say. The 16-bit era was definetely the golden era of video games for me. For me it would be a tossup between Secret of Mana, Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars and Super Metroid. There are so many other great ones though!

It's not bashing Majora's Mask. It's more bashing the premise that came after it. They fractured an already fairly messed up story even more. And the fact that both realities that come from Majora's Mask make ALL the games cannon whether it be the kiddie zeldas or the serious ones is executed poorly.

Gotta say Super Mario World. You can really link history to that game. It overpowered the original SMB because of all the new abilities, levels, and powers. With Yoshi coming in I think nobody knew he would be a star character for the franchise. The game also had a great length and large quality in it. No wimp levels.

Oh yes!

I couldn't wait to find a Yoshi and then was always so disappointed when I ended up losing him. :( It was the main part of the game that I really enjoyed. They probably didn't realize he would become so popular, but I'm glad he did.

Definitely agree with a couple of the posters above me. Super Mario World was absolutely amazing, and the addition of Yoshi really sealed the deal for me. A Link to the Past was also a great experience for me. I remember spending hours frustrated and trying to figure out all of the puzzles, and I thought the dungeons and combat gameplay were both just awesome. I also really loved Super Mario Kart and Super Metroid. Two more classics right there that I'll never get tired of.

I'd say probably Chrono Trigger in terms of RPGs, as for platformers, Super Mario World is pretty hard to beat IMHO. I also liked Super Mario All Stars quite a lot. :)

We have to pick just one?! I have been a gamer since the mid 80's and have found something to enjoy from virtually every console I've had since then (and it's been the majority of them). But I can honestly say I don't think there's been such a high density of, not just good games, but genre defining games on any other console since the SNES.

If I were forced to pick just one I think I'd have to go with Super Metroid. It had everything! It was a great continuation of the story, clearly drawing inspiration fromt he first and building upon what it did best. The graphics were beautiful. The music was so moody you could practically feel the alien horrors crawling through the sprawling caverns. It was primarily an action platformer but it had the story telling elements of an RPG though it only had a few paragrpahs of text in the whole game! The bosses were truly terrifying and that last fight with the Mother brain remains my favorit eboss battle in the series' entire history.

Super Mario World is an obvious answer and even though it is kinda cliche to say it you really can't go against it. This was a really good game I especially liked how the world's were mapped out but I would like to say I think there is an honorable mention game that I liked on the SNES. Does anyone remember Blackthorne?

BlackthorneSNES.jpg

blackthorne2.png

this was a very good violent game to me. Really loved playing this one.

Donkey Kong Country 2 was my favorite game on the system! I am a huge DK fan so it really appealed to me. I like it better than the first one because it had a better graphics and Diddy is my favorite character, so him being the main character was really cool for me.

I have to agree with Super Mario World and A Link to the Past. Both games absorbed so much of my childhood it's not even funny. I also played a lot of Street Fighter 2 and I remember the day I got Mortal Kombat 2 as well. I played a bunch of Final Fantasy in my days too!

Without doubt MarioKart - I have spent so many hours over the years playing battlemode in that game. Just unbelievable playability and longevity for me that has lasted 20 odd years. In my view still the best of the series but then again I'm biased to retrogaming...

Final Fantasy III. In my opinon, FFIII totally set the stage for RPG games as we know it. The story was amazing, the game itself was long and the universe was huge. Plus, even when you think it's over, everything changes and the game starts up again. I think overall, it was probably one of the best RPG games ever made.

Not the most exciting answer but Super Mario World. That game combined the brilliance of the original Mario Bros game and added the full graphical effects and ingenuity of the SNES. Whilst there were so many great games released on the SNES, Super Mario World is the only one that I still return to nowadays. It's just one game that's been with me for several years and it's not going anywhere.

Super Metroid. There were aliens and doom and gloom and a great story line and I only died seven times! Yes, I'm proud of that and no you can't take that away from me. That said I don't consider the SNES as the Golden Age. I do however consider it to be a great time for gaming.

Oh man, A Link to the Past easily. This game gave me hours upon hours of fun and I still play it to this day. Graphically, going from the NES to the SNES was awesome and this game maximized what could be done right out of the gate. The unique dungeons and bosses, paired with the strength of the puzzles that needed to be solved was something I'll never forget

A Link to the Past. It is easily my absolute greatest game of all time. So, of course it would end up being the best game on it's own system too. However, the Super Nintendo was filled with great games.. I'll list some of my favorites off of the system...

The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
Super Mario World
Super Metroid
Super Mario Kart
Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
Super Street Fighter 2: The New Challengers
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 4: Turtles in Time
Super Castlevania 4
Star Fox
Uniracers
Chrono Trigger
Contra 3: The Alien Wars
Donkey Kong Country
U.N. Squadron
Final Fantasy 3
Out of This World
Sim City
Act Raiser
Aero Fighters
Aerobiz
Aerobiz Supersonic
And I'm sure that I'm missing a few here and there. But off of the top of my head, here are some great SNES titles that I've enjoyed over the years. If I can remember anymore, I'll be back to share them.

Secret of Mana was also my favorite RPG for the SNES. There is an unofficial spin-off that was made into a free 2d mmo called The Mana World. You should check it out.

Screenshot_partysystem.png

Latest posts

Latest threads

Back