The greatest SNES game ever

Secret of Mana!

Bts this is also what I found today, it looks like a remake of secret of mana in 3d or maybe a mix of secret of mana and zelda

I loved Secret of Mana and Chrono Trigger. I am also a huge Final Fantasy fan, and I love all of the games.

However, in my opinion the best SNES game is Super Mario World. Without competition.

I really loved to play Turtles in Time. Nothing like a side scroller game that time travels with a group of turtles transformed by radioactive waste. If there were two that were going to follow that up they would be: Maximum Carnage and (somewhat shamefully) The Lion King. I loved The Lion King. Disney had relatively decent gaming options for NES and SNES.

This is very hard for me to decide, I can barely narrow it down to 3, let alone 1! There is a trinity of sorts for me when it comes to the best video games on the snes, my opinions may waver and change with time but this trinity remains unchanged to this day. The three best snes games ever: Super Metroid, Chrono Trigger and The Legend of Zelda: A Link to The Past.

Plenty of RPG's I could pick, but there were so many others that were so great! Flashback - the quest for identity. F-Zero, Star Fox, The Donkey Kong Country Games, Disney's Magical Quest Staring Mickey Mouse, Super Ghouls & Ghosts... i could just keep going and going! Even though it's an older system, the graphics are just some of my favorites, and the gameplay was just great, and the controller was honestly great to use!

dethdealer24 said:
Final Fantasy III

Yes! It's still my favorite of the lot too. It took the series; and the style of games, to the next level. Chrono Cross was also groundbreaking.

During my youth, Super Metroid was my favourite SNES game. However, looking back at this phenomenal console's library: I can only say that Super Metroid was one of the best SNES games, but not the greatest SNES game!

My vote for the all-time greatest SNES game is, in fact: Chrono Trigger! In fact, I consider Chrono Trigger to be the greatest Square RPG of all time!

Chrono_Trigger_cover.jpg

There are other RPGs with epic stories that include multiple surprising twists and affords multiple alternate endings, side quests, extra playable characters, etc--but I'm hard pressed to think of another game that spans so many multiple disparate chronological eras, thereby blending together several sub-genres within the broader fantasy and science-fiction umbrella, and incorporates powerful, novel, and down-right fun cause-and-effect time travel scenarios!

Moreover, Chrono Trigger had a fantastically varied combat system that allowed your party to grow together and not separately, learning special character specific team-work moves!

I have a three way tie between my favorite games. The first was Super Mario World. I loved playing that game, I was so excited when they brought it back for one of the Game Boys and I loved that first and second player did not play at the same time (I could play by myself and have twice the amount of lives). I also loved that you could keep Yoshi forever basically. My second would be Mario Kart as it is still the only Mario Kart game that I can play with out getting car sick. Finally, my third favorite is Super Mario All Stars. This game had all the Mario games up until SMW and it was amazing. It allowed me to play the older games without actually have a Nintendo.

You really can't go wrong picking a favorite Super Nintendo game. For me, it's between Super Metroid and A Link to the Past. For nostalgia's sake, it would be Mega Man X. The best rpg would be Chrono Trigger with Final Fantasy 6 being a close second.

As far as overall playability I'd have to say Super Mario world is the greatest game for the SNES in my opinion. It's the one game that I'd start and end the day with. It shouldn't surprise you why I picked this as there was a time when Nintendo put everything that had into their Mario games.

Secret of Mana was the my first open-sword swing type no-battle screen transfer RPGs I had played (Up until that point the only other ones were the two Zeldas on the original NES, I think) and I fell in love with the visuals and the story. It had a lot of stuff to do, plenty of places to visit (or revisit) and the badass boss theme "Meridian Dance" (To this day it's still on my MP3 Player)

My favorite SNES rpg is definitely Chrono Trigger, that title blew me away with it's awesome graphics, music and characters. A close second is Front Mission which is a tactical rpg but also has high-production values and an intriguing cast and story. All time favorite SNES game is Axelay which is a horizontally & vertically scrolling shmup. Awesome music and art-style with some memorable bosses to contend with.

That's a tough one. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past obviously comes to mind. I recently started a new game on the Wii's Virtual Console, in fact.

Other than that, I'm glad to see Secret of Mana getting some love in this thread. I spent what I'm sure is over a hundred hours playing that game.

I really, really liked Donkey Kong Country. Nintendo Power even sent me a promotional VHS tape called 'Donkey Kong Country Exposed!' and I watched it 100 times, if not more. And now, you get to watch it too. I still quote this video to this day, actually.

It's just so 90's, I love it. Do you want a banana?

Zelda: A Link To The Past. I played that game SO MUCH as a kid, and will still go back to it from time to time when I'm feeling nostalgic.

I also greatly enjoyed Diddy's Kong Quest and Super Mario World.

Those are my top 3 games for the SNES.

Funny enough @Raven when I got my Wii and hopped on the Virtual Console, I bought all three of the games you mentioned, so needless to say, you have excellent taste. :D

Definately ILLUSION OF TIME (ILLUSION OF GAIA) and SECRET OF EVERMORE!!
This Games were totally insane. They had a great influence to my life.
Also HARVEST MOON was one of the greatest Games. It was released at the end time of SNES and I still remember the beautiful commercial on tv.
More great games were: Zombies ate my Neighbours ; Act Raiser ; Contra III ; Mortal Kombat.... wow there were actually a lot of really nice games.

Way too many to list. Rpg wise Chrono Trigger and Illusion of Gaia has my vote. All other genre's, can we not admit that despite being hard Contra III and Battletoads in Battlemaniacs were just so, so good!

Thinking about it now, Super Mario World is probably my favorite SNES game.

Latest posts

Latest threads

Back