The problem with the New Super Mario Bros series

Artwark

Playing
3DS XL
Ok so as of now, five of these types of games exist. The first one made us all happy as we wanted a new 2D mario game in years ever since Super Mario World got released.

But then it started going downhill as soon as New Super Mario Bros 2 showed up. There's nothing particularly wrong with the game but it just has a feature that is pointless which is collecting coins. I mean sure, I love coins and all but this game makes them have no meaning to them.

I haven't played the one on the Wii U but I heard that it just plays safe and does nothing new to the table.

Then the fifth one for those of you wondering is Super Mario Run and even though It doesn't have new slapped to it, it still feels like another New Super Mario Bros game because it simply reuses the art assets from those games.

Look, I have no problem with their existence infact I'm simply happy that they exist as Super Mario games are my most favorite ones. My main issue with them is that they do so little to add something new to them. The previous 2D ones even if they didn't do much still felt new simply because they all had different visuals unlike this series which doesn't do that even.

I'd like to hear what are you're thoughts about the New Super Mario Bros series in general and where it just stands.

These are shit games. Flat out. Every game controls like every ice level ever. Bland music,bland art design,bland level design. Physics are just crap. Just bad games. Nintendo developed bad Mario games do exist. The entire NSMB games suck and Mario Party are terrible games.

great topic. Here's how i see it: i love Mario as much as Zelda, and will always buy Nintendo because of this. But you are correct, i played all these games, including Super Luigi U, and really don't remember anything special. They were all just really fun games and that's all I'm after. But we have to admit we were just bombarded with 2d sidescroller Mario the last few years. Before NSMB DS i believe, Nintendo went a few years without 2d Mario's. I can see where these games aren't for everybody, but i will always get them. I rather that than the 3d open world Mario's myself. But i play them too.

This was a missed opportunity for the wii u: we should have had Galaxy 3, an awesome Metroid, and an awesome Fzero. Maybe next time

These are shit games. Flat out. Every game controls like every ice level ever. Bland music,bland art design,bland level design. Physics are just crap. Just bad games. Nintendo developed bad Mario games do exist. The entire NSMB games suck and Mario Party are terrible games.

Ok now that's just plain uncalled for. Sure, the music might not be so much memorable as the previous 2d ones and so is the bland art design but the level design is good enough and the physics was good as well. If at all there were bad Mario games, then how are they all well received in the first place?

My argument is that they don't offer anything new to the table and are simply just there for the sake of being there. That doesn't make them bad games at all. I can understand that's your opinion but come on...

What is uncalled for? They are terrible games plain and simple. Poor game design. Final Fantasy 13 was well received as well and an absolute pile of shit. Brand name often gets better reviews because of who is attached to the box even tho every Call of Duty every FF13 game ever David Cage game is an absolute turd

By that logic, How the same can't be said for Sonic when his games are terrible and yet they sold well?

Perhaps if you can elaborate with your statement than just saying poor game design, I can understand your opinion better......just saying cause I'm curious as to why you despise such decent platformers. Yes its repetitive but its not shallow to say the least.

They appeal to kids and kids don't know any better. Colors,Gens and LW are pretty alright but Unleashed 2006 Black Knight and many more have been absolute trash.

According to this reviewer, NSMBU has done a lot of new things to appeal to both nintendo fans that want the same old mario game and to Nintendo fans that want something new for a change:

I think Nintendo does not want to radically change because the last time they did that with Super Mario Sunshine, it started to receive hate because it was too different

^Damn....now I miss the chance of getting NSMBU.....:(

oh well...atleast Super Mario Maker will come with all the 2D game assets for the 3ds....I hope.

At this point I suspect someone's trash talking for the sake of trash talking. So what if you didn't enjoy it? Many people did, many more don't care. No need to carry on as if it ruined your life and kicked your dog.

I'll admit it isn't one of my more favourite games, but I enjoy it irregardless. Making yourself into a game connoisseur simply takes away from you ability to actually enjoy games. One of my old friends is obsessed with old RPGs to the point that he "hated" Paper Mario and the Zelda series because they are too simple, and now finds that he does not like *any* games that came out in the last five years.

@grahamf

Yeah, it kinda sound a lot like Trash talk. I don't hate the New Super Mario series either....I just wanted something new in them. And really they do get the job done as being fairly fun games.

I wonder how the next 2D game will be like. Will it take the same steps as NSMBU did or will it be a fresh new concept from scratch? Either way, I'm excited!

I don't take kindly to bullshit accusations. Not trash talk as that's not my game. It's just bad. I don't care if anyone enjoys it. Don't read into it more than it is. That is what fucking pisses me the fuck off. Bullshit accusations.

@grahamf

Yeah, it kinda sound a lot like Trash talk. I don't hate the New Super Mario series either....I just wanted something new in them. And really they do get the job done as being fairly fun games.

I wonder how the next 2D game will be like. Will it take the same steps as NSMBU did or will it be a fresh new concept from scratch? Either way, I'm excited!

where do you fit Super Mario Maker into all this? Reason i ask is because when this came out, my thoughts were maybe this is the LAST 2d for a while so they could focus on Galaxy 3/Sunshine 2 (fingers crossed). I would almost call it Mario Infinite because this literally could go on forever. It's not perfect, i find it's missing some things like Super Mario USA (2) content. I really liked that game and would like to have those levels to make.

Well Maker has almost all the assets of all the 2D games except for the gameboy games so I think I can say that it does fit in there somewhere....

I like them but they get stale after a while. 2 on the 3DS is my favorite, followed by U.

^if two had not done that coin thing in the first place, I would have enjoyed it better. Its because of the coins that made the game a disappointment to me. Its not a terrible game as its really good but the coins just ruined my enjoyment out of it....

I have to say it sometimes get a bit too boring to play the games over and over again. I am not hating either but I have to say they are almost the same, not that that is bad ofcourse. But it just makes it boring to play it as a maingame. I like the little newer games but I feel like Nintendo is using the same themes over and over again, that is what I dislike.

Super Mario Maker, although using most of the same assets and things from Super Mario Bros. games, allows you to make the levels rather then Nintendo designing them, and is the only Mario game to allow this. As for Main mario titles outside the Super Mario Bros. series, those games bring lots of new features to the table each time. Super Mario Odyssey added the capture ability, Mario's hat Cappy, the ability to throw your cap and jump on it as a platform, the changing outfits feature, and making coins usefull by using them as lives and whenever you die taking a few of them so that you have to keep a few coins on you to continue playing as well as making them a useable currency in the Crazy Cap Shops, etc.
However, as was already stated, the Super Mario Bros. series adds nothing new except a slightly different storyline to how Peach got captured by Bowser and some different levels, but little else. They need to add a lot more to make them interesting, or else there just remaking a single game in that series of games forever.

Latest threads

Back