They said Wii U was the new Dreamcast... Xbox One will claim that fate instead

Status
Not open for further replies.
Playing
Nintendo 2DS
It was said Wii U was the new Dreamcast...Xbox One will claim that fate instead:

I'm very confident the Wii U, and Nintendo, will be fine. Wii U has no intrinsic anti-consumer elements, its focus is 95% on games, and the games that will move systems are on the way. I don't expect Wii or PS2 levels of success, but Wii U will have a comfortable lifespan.

Xbox One? DOOMED. I hardly feel the need to detail the hurdles it faces, but here are some of its major obstacles,

-Little if any appeal outside the US. Microsoft has decided to purely focus on one market, and poorly at that. The Xbox One panders so specifically to the US and has so many elements which are combative and unpopular to other markets, it's almost sure to fail in many/most of them.

-There is a whirlwind to be reaped from the anti-consumer elements. We have reacted, we know the situation, but normal people are in for a nasty surprise. There is an inevitable backlash simmering, just wait until we hear the local news stories after Christmas from angry parents.

-Competition from every angle. Why choose Xbox One over Wii U/PS4/PS3/360/3DS/PC/IOS? Heck, even DS/Wii/Vita are competition for Xbox One. Microsoft seems to mistakenly believe their place in the market is a forgone conclusion that they don't need to earn.

So, I truly believe we are witnessing the beginning of the end for Microsoft in the console market. Microsoft as a whole will be fine, but I cannot see the Xbox One finding any measurement of success. It will hobble along for a few years, until Microsoft pulls the plug and cuts the cancerous growth from themselves, the Xbox division. The Xbox One cannot afford to appeal to only a niche, there is far, far too much monetary investment that needs to be recouped.

I never felt 3DS, Vita, or Wii U would suffer a Dreamcast like fate. But Xbox One? I'm all but certain it is doomed to fail and cease production within a few years of launch, and I doubt Microsoft can monetarily justify trying their hand at the console business again once that happens.

~~~Got this from another site~~~

-Little if any appeal outside the US.

It's got about as much appeal in the EU as the first Xbox and Xbox 360 had, and they did fine. And they never focused on Japan anyways so that doesn't really matter.

-There is a whirlwind to be reaped from the anti-consumer elements. We have reacted, we know the situation, but normal people are in for a nasty surprise. There is an inevitable backlash simmering, just wait until we hear the local news stories after Christmas from angry parents.

These "anti-consumer elements" keep being mentioned, but it's just a buzzword until it's specified what they actually are. If that's referring to the Kinect always-on thing, then that has already been resolved; MS backpedaled pretty hard on that matter.

-Competition from every angle.

Unlike all the other consoles? Seriously, this is the dumbest argument of them all. You can use the exact same argument for all of the other consoles.

For me it's always about affordability and the fun factors in the games. I won't be able to get all the games for any system. But I would like to have fun and be cheap about it. Everyone is looking for a good deal. I will hold out for a couple of bucks. I love games. I love gaming consoles. But I love to save money even more.

As long as there is Halo games you won't see a Microsoft system fail. They put out enough decent games yearly to never be close to the Dreamcast. Only issue I see is there isn't enough first part exclusives from them.

As much as I like for you to be right, the Xbox is outselling the Wii U. Its only really thanks to Nintendo's strong 1st party titles that they remain alive with their Wii U. They need to step up their game with the NX if they want to stay in the gaming business.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest threads

Back