Weird Pokemon game rumors

Joker99352

Playing
GameCube
Did you ever hear any weird rumors about cheats or "secrets" in the Pokemon games? The most common one I heard of was "Charcolt," the supposed evolved form of Charizard, or some variation of that. The weirdest one I heard was something along the lines of this: beat the Elite Four (with certain Pokemon, it seemed like) 40 times in a row without using any items, and then Professor Oak would appear and say something like, "I'm tired of this" and lead you back to Pallet town. In his lab, he'd give you a new HM called "Blast" which you were supposed to use on Gary's house (ha). In the rubble of Gary's house, there would be a Pokeball containing something that I don't remember.

Of course, now I think it's all baloney. But back then I had no idea whether it was true and spent many, many hours trying to get Charcolt and other made up Pokemon. Did you guys ever hear anything similar?

I've heard multiple myths every time a new game comes out about how to get a mew in almost every pokemon game I've played. I don't remember any of the 'How-to's' at the moment, but there's always some stupid thing or bug or something.
I do remember hearing something about a Charcolt or something along those lines.

It seems like the rumors are less common with newer games. It might be that people are slightly more familiar with the way games work, or it may be that the past rumors have made them wary about unproven myths. As ridiculous as they sounded, I really wish they had been true because that would have made things really interesting. In this day and age, though, if these things existed they would be up on YouTube as soon as the first person discovered them.

Never heard of any of that - I managed to wander across Mys No. and several other glitches like that. I also got a cracked lavender town a couple of times, but no sign of your level of urban legend or whatever. Shame it would have been fun calling shenanigans.

MissingNo was a real rumor, of course, but it wasn't an intentional part of the game. As far as I know, the rumors that I'm referring to were supposed to have purposely been added to the game by the developers. It would have been really interesting if they were true, especially the weirder ones that required a lot of dedication. I wonder how many people actually tried the challenges?

I heard a myth about getting mewthree at the top of the Pokemon tower in silver, so I tried doing thousands of things to get it, and always ended up failing. But it kept me busy for a while :)

Oh boy, I heard a lot of stories like this! My friend told me he heard if you go in the middle of Petalburg Forest and press A or something, Celebi would appear. Of course I was really niave and I was in Petalburg Forest for a good thirty minutes finding Celebi realizing it was fake. I also remembered in Pokemon Gold there was this glitch called Missin. No or something... I never really researched on it and I do not know if it actually exsist or not. A lot of people say it does.

All of those rumors are absolutely fake.

I heard that you could duplicate items like Masterball by using a gameboy trick. I don't know the full details but it requires turning the gameboy on and off many times.

Haha, I remember these!

Okay, so for the first gen Pokemon games, there was the rumor for Mew - that you could find it under the truck near the S.S. Anne. It was all really complicated. Basically, you had to reach the truck before the S.S. Anne left, so you needed a Pokemon that could use Surf way before you actually have access to that HM. Then you had to use a Moonstone on the truck and use Strength, which was supposedly going to reveal Mew.
Guess who spent days trying to make it work, only to cry like an idiot when I realized I was being taken for a ride lol

Some other rumor involved Lavender Town, which gave birth to the Buried Alive creepypasta. Basically the rumor that the Lavender Town tune could drive you insane and that the place is actually haunted - as in, there's an actual ghost waiting to be discovered there. The version of the rumor I encountered actually also took Missingno into account and said that if you looked at the sprite for Missingno, you'd see snippets of terrible images (like a man being hung or a woman being chopped to pieces and so on). We were kids, we had too much time on our hands. :D

Okay, so for the first gen Pokemon games, there was the rumor for Mew - that you could find it under the truck near the S.S. Anne. It was all really complicated. Basically, you had to reach the truck before the S.S. Anne left, so you needed a Pokemon that could use Surf way before you actually have access to that HM. Then you had to use a Moonstone on the truck and use Strength, which was supposedly going to reveal Mew.
Guess who spent days trying to make it work, only to cry like an idiot when I realized I was being taken for a ride lol

I remember this one! I also tried to do it. You can't imagine my sadness when I reached the small truck and nothing happened :cry:
Also, there's that one about Lavender Town's original music making people crazy because it reaches really high frequencies that can't be listened but our brain reacts to it? I never listened because I'm still scared :giggle:

Well I am not all too familiar with the Pokemon games, but I would hate to see someone fall for some of these. It kind of makes you wonder what the intention of the person making these up was, and if it purely was to mess with people. If that was the case, though, they can probably say they accomplished their goal. Going all that way for something that does not happen would be very frustrating, but I guess that is the price you pay. Player beware.

There will always be new myths every time a new game comes out. Most of them are just ridiculous, but it doesn't stop some people from trying them out and wasting hours or even days of their lives before realizing it's all a hoax.

Well I am not all too familiar with the Pokemon games, but I would hate to see someone fall for some of these. It kind of makes you wonder what the intention of the person making these up was, and if it purely was to mess with people. If that was the case, though, they can probably say they accomplished their goal. Going all that way for something that does not happen would be very frustrating, but I guess that is the price you pay. Player beware.
Falling for them is easy when you're like 9 or 10 years-old, like I was at the time :X3:
Of course it's always a disappointment when they end up not being true, but what amazes me is how they spread so much back in the day, this when the internet wasn't widely used like it is today. I mean, I believe here we're all from different places in the world, yet the myths are basically the same. Crazy if you tell me! :eek:
And the person who told about the myth was always the friend's cousin :LOL:

Also, there's that one about Lavender Town's original music making people crazy because it reaches really high frequencies that can't be listened but our brain reacts to it? I never listened because I'm still scared :giggle:

Ha, yes, the binaural beats! The original Lavender Town tune was said to contain these beats, which affected the young children who played the Pokemon titles at the time, with lots of crazy and creepy results... (Migraines, random body cramps, bleeding noses, random deaths and then, ultimately, suicides)
There's a creepy pasta that makes this topic the subject of the rumours - it's pretty neat, it also includes the BURIED ALIVE Pokemon.

I did a little bit of reminiscing the other day, and I clearly remember that there was this strange US rumours floating around from the Pokemon R/B/Y days, about a Pokemon named DOOMSDAY / DOOMSAY. It was kind of like Missingno, except it was cursed in a way, and finding this Pokemon would alter your gamefiles in such a way that you'd be playing a different game altogether. I'll try looking more into it, but I remember being really creeped out by it.

I didn't know about the Doomsday rumor actually, but I found an article on bulbapedia that talks about Pokegods (aka made up Pokemon) or something, and I think it has something to do with it? Here.
It's really interesting if we could play that alternative version of the game! Makes me remember that time when I accidentally saved my game after glitching it :LOL:

Their are people spoofing their IP addresses to make it seem like they are somewhere they really arent. Takes all the fun out of playing the game honestly. Why would you even wan't to play that way? To hold some record even though you know you didn't do it legitimately? It makes no sense to me. I heard they are laying the ban hammer down on these people now too.

@Norjak71 haha, spoofing IP addresses, I never heard that one before. It would be pretty easy to dominate the game if you could do that. Well it would keep you from having to go to many locations especially if you physically can't or just don't want to spend the time fto do so.

I never heard of that before, I'm going to see if there are any people who have already done it. That's crazy, and honestly pretty cool to me.

I am the kind of player who always plays clean, especially on Pokemon games, I do not really think that using cheats would make the game any funnier, it would just make it easy and boring to play, it definitely is way better when you have to struggle to pass levels, catch Pokemon, complete quests and stuff of that nature, that's what I really like.

Latest threads

Back