What does NX stand for?

Professor E. Gadd

Playing
Wii U
What does NX mean in Nintendo NX? Here are the most popular theories about what the code name of Nintendo's latest console might stand for.

NX = Next

Because NX is just a codename, it would be appropriate to call it Nintendo Next (i.e. Nintendo's next generation console). Kind of reminiscent of Apple's NeXT operating system. Nintendo dropped the "T" to make it less obvious. NX means the next era of gaming after two generations of experimental controls with Wii and Wii U.

NX = Nintendo X

As in 'solve for x'. X is the most common variable for unknown or changing concepts in mathematics. In popular usage, it often stands for the mysterious and the unknown. Following this theory, Nintendo wants to build hype for its upcoming system, and what's a better way to keep the fans guessing than naming it X?

NX = Nintendo 10

X is a roman numeral for 10. If you don't count the failed Virtual Boy, Nintendo's had a total of 10 gaming system up until now: NES, Game Boy, SNES, Nintendo 64, Game Boy Advance, GameCube, Nintendo DS, Wii, Nintendo 3DS, and Wii U. But wouldn't that make Nintendo NX #11? Maybe, but companies are not always strict about keeping count in their product lines when it comes to marketing. One recent example is Microsoft, which went Windows 8 to Windows 10, not caring about the math.

NX = Nintendo Kiss

The system will be designed by Princess Peach, with lots of hugs and kisses included. Hope it won't be the kiss of death! XOXO.

Have you own theory? Voice it below!

I find it pretty amusing that people assume knowing what the name means will give people an idea as to what the console will offer. Did Super Nintendo tell you anything about the console? Or the more recent 'New 3DS'? Fun to play with the idea though:

NX = Neuron Xplorer

Welcome to a world that controls you! Mamma mia

I say next because to me when you pronounce it that is the sound that it makes.

For some strange reason I'm thinking Nexus. Maybe they're going into cahoots with google? Ha, I'm not sure about that one.

Or the Nexus was in the Star Trek world: The Nexus was an extradimensional realm in which one's thoughts and desires shape reality (from the star trek wiki http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Nexus )so maybe VR????

You guy are creative. I just thought it was a gimmick. "It's the NX big thing". Something to that effect. Or perhaps they are creating a special board or graphics CPU that has "NX" in it.

Those are some interesting theories! I really do enjoy Nintendo 10 for some reason. Who knows what the 10 would mean, but it definitely has a better ring to it than the rest. Actually, if I had to think what NX stood for, I would probably think "Nintendo Xtreme". Perhaps Nintendo would have a sport-like period with a lot of their games (along with the classics like SSB, MP and so forth)!

Is NX just a code-name for the project in its current developmental phase, or has it been revealed as its finalized, to-market name? In either case, my first impression of the name NX was that it evoked the word "next" as in its the "next" generation or phase of Nintendo. Nintendo X, as a secretive project code-name vis-a-vis "Project X" is also a strong possibility if NX is just a temporary code-name. I'm fairly skeptical of the other suggestions thus far.

Oh, we can get real deep in this muck. What if the letters are actually numbers & those numbers are squared & created the...blergh...blergh...blergh..I tried. :rolleyes:

Careful Joan, this conversation is in danger of leaping head-first into the bizarre pseudo-scientific quackery known as numerology! :rolleyes:

Well, unless you're suggesting that Nintendo hid a clue in the name using some sort of alphanumerical code, I guess... but I doubt it.

Given what little we know at this time, I'm guessing that it stands for either Next, Nintendo Next, or Nintendo X.

Wait, Nintendo X... are we talking about Danger Room level tech here?! ;)

Even Nintendo's new president Tatsumi Kimishima doesn't know what NX stands for. From his interview with Time magazine:

“As for the codename NX, I don’t believe that there’s any real meaning behind it, and to be perfectly honest, I don’t know where it came from,” says Kimishima, laughing. “Or perhaps Mr. Iwata had meant to tell me and then never got the chance.”

NX = Nintendo X

Thats what I was thinking the first time too! XD and I like your predictions :eek:

Well... considering that the Wii was codename Revolution for the longest time, I'm going to guess that it just stands for Nintendo X as well and doesn't point to any long lasting name. Probably just a codename for development.

I'm with Shiftrex in this one ;)
And crucnhyg has an answer, even though it made me quite sad...
“Or perhaps Mr. Iwata had meant to tell me and then never got the chance.”
:(

Latest threads

Back