What improvements would you make to the Mario Bros. franchise?

crossunitedfate

The Mario Bros. games are quite literally the pinnacle of Nintendo. They have graced each Nintendo system at a minimum of at least 3 or more games. So there is much to be said since after all this time, the same tried and true formula of the game sells.

But as with any other game, Mario too will eventually have to evolve. So with that said, what improvements would you make to the franchise?

I think mario is best served up running for his life and for the checkered flag. He's always running to try and save the princess and trying to beat koopa to the finish line so I'd extend on that idea, maybe bring a little futuristic twist to the idea?

Hmmm, Star Wars just got sold to disney and 3 new star wars movies are on their way, I'd try to tie the series into that theme somehow. Mario needs to target an older crowd I think, the kids who grew up playing it have, well, grown up!

I honestly don't know how to fix something that isn't broken, heh. Well not broken but kind of repetitive in any case. Maybe have peach as a playable character more often?

Hmm...I mean the concept is so simple. outside of spin off titles I guess you don't want to deviate too far. Maybe another game with the Mario Sunshine mechanic?

Oh trust me, I know it's not broken.

But the franchise needs some spice. It feels like everytime I play it I'm still in the 80's on my NES. I know that's not the case. But that's the feeling I get on account of the franchise staying safe for so long.

Maybe Mario is at its best when it stays in that safe zone? Although as a platformer he has the ability to branch out a lot more than others. But even then there are limits. I never want to see Mario with a gun for example.

I think the most interesting thing Nintendo could do with the Mario Bros franchise right now would be to establish an official timeline, like they did with The Legend of Zelda. Things that obviously wouldn't fit (Dr. Mario, Mario's Time Machine) would get their own timeline that could be expanded upon in later games. Actually, a continuation or explanation of Dr. Mario would be great. An alternate world where the Mushroom Kingdom is being saved by doctors instead of plumbers, goombas being the result of some virus. (Or fungal infection, ha ha.) And he'd be such a great role model for the kids.

A good deviation for me is another Luigi game. And not just Luigi's Mansion either. I always thought he was the cooler brother, I don't get why he's always got to play second fiddle.

I guess Luigi's name doesn't sound as cool as Mario.

If I could direct a Mario game, it would be very much like the original Super Mario Bros on NES, and Super Mario World. They have yet to capture me with mario (aside from mario 64) with any other formula. SNES's Super Mario World was very good, yet still maintained a lot of the main gameplay elements from SMB on NES. I wish they would make more games like that. I haven't played the "New Super Mario Brothers", but videos I watched didn't seem as close to the classic gameplay that I wish for.

If I could direct a Mario game, it would be very much like the original Super Mario Bros on NES, and Super Mario World. They have yet to capture me with mario (aside from mario 64) with any other formula. SNES's Super Mario World was very good, yet still maintained a lot of the main gameplay elements from SMB on NES. I wish they would make more games like that. I haven't played the "New Super Mario Brothers", but videos I watched didn't seem as close to the classic gameplay that I wish for.

I feel you. But in my case, I think if I directed, I'd want something more like Super Mario Bros. 3. But then again....that's pretty much what you sort of said since Super Mario World borrows a lot from that game.

For the first super mario bros: Walking backwards. But they made that improvement in the next games.

I would immediately cease the repetetive recycling of the "New" series. I argue it stands as the antethesis of everything that made the Mario franchise the former console seller that it was.

Nintendo has a game design principal in which they create a game around the control scheme. This sounds obvious, but plenty of companies start with a story idea or a theme. Nintendo starts with what feels right in your hand. This is generally a good practice as we've seen Nintendo's attempts at innovation over the many years often showcased through their Mario games.

This all came to an end after the first New Super Mario Bros. From then on, each game was more like an expansion pack of the first and little in the way of genuinely innovative level design or controller use has come along. One of the driving truths behind the Mario franchise is that each game is different fromt he last. Even on the same system, you have wildly different experiences even though you may be playing similar in game mechanics. The simple but finely tuned physics of the first gave way to the dream like cartoon scape of Super Mario 2, which then became the stage production play of Super Mario 3, which moved into the Dinosaur world of Super Mario World, etc etc. Each new game was a new experience.

To bring the franchise back to a higher degree of merit, the next title must not be another "New" Super Mario Brothers, and actually BE a new Super Mario Brothers, with all new themes, world designs, character models and ideally, radically redesigned move sets. It should thoroughly exhaust the potential of the Wii U's unique capabilities and showcase it's strengths.

I wouldn't say it's not broken. I mean, I still buy EVERY Mario game they come up with... but the last ones were a biiit disappointing to me. I really liked 'New Super Mario Bros Wii', 'Mario Galaxy' was ok just not "Wow!". 'Mario Galaxy 2' was exactly the same as the first one, just longer and more boring. 'Paper Mario Wii' was exactly like the old one, and it gets too long and lame after one point. I found the Wii versions of 'Mario Party' and 'Mario Kart' very annoying, they made such an effort to exploit the graphics, that they ended up creating maps that are an eye sore and upsetting.

I still love the Mario games, they just need to come up with a new concept to it and stop releasing sequels of older games. 'Luigi's Mansion' for instance, even though I didn't like it that much, I think it was a very interesting new concept to the franchise. Wario games are often interesting too. How about a Bowser game? Wouldn't you love to play as the bad guy and get to destroy stuff, and fight against Mario on the boss battles?! Nintendo needs to start aiming at a more Adult audience with their games, otherwise, they're bound to be left behind.

As for improvements I would stop milking the Mario name. There have been way to many games about good old Mario and friends that I think they need to come up with new ideas. New game ideas would also help sell more Wii-U units.

I'm honestly super surprised they haven't explored a Super Marianna Sisters end of the franchise. You would think that would be the natural progression of things seeing as creative changes to classic movies/games/music is gender switching.

Latest posts

Latest threads

Back