What is Sling TV?

rz3300

Playing
Wii
I saw an advertisement today for Sling TV, a new service, and it was one of those commercials where they do not really tell you anything about it, which is frustrating, but it seems to be something where you can pick the channels that you want to subscribe to, which I have always thought is the best solution.

If that is the case, I would like to try it, but I am still not sure.

Does anyone know of this? Is it what I think it is?

You can pick the channels you want to subscribe to? I always thought that with SlingTV, you just pick the package.

It's $20 a month for the most basic package, which has 25 channels, which you stream through the internet using an internet-compatible device like a PC or Roku.

my brother just got it and loves it. not sure if he picked his channels but he is satisfied. I have been Rokuing for about 2 years now with just Netflix, WWE Network and CBS All Access. There is enough free (with commercials) apps on the roku to satisfy us. I could really live without Netflix also. Sling tv was something i was looking into but i really don't miss tv.

I did learn a nasty lesson what with all these tropical storms in the area. I really do need local tv so I'm currently working on getting the digital antenna and crap that goes with it hooked up on an older tv. Had i known all the hoopla that went with this, it may been almost as cheap to buy a small new tv.

Bottom line, Sling is good for you if you miss cable but not the $$$

I use Roku myself since 2010. Not had cable in 6 years. I do not miss it.

I thought Sling was a DVR for cable?

^ You might be thinking of a Slingbox. Different company.

um, well i don't know if it's available for cable, but i know its an app on my roku that must be paid for (like Netflix). I believe it comes with smart devices as well?

I've heard of Sling TV a few times, but I don't see them surpassing Netflix. Their service is competing with stream television. I've seen the advertisement a few times, but never bothered to look into it because I already have a service I enjoy. Netflix is awesome and has offered me numerous television shows. I don't see a need in looking into a service that is offering actual channels. I'd rather pay for basic cable and what television that way.

The internet is more opt to go out as well, so I'd be super upset if I didn't have the option of watching cable while waiting for the internet to come back on.

um, well i don't know if it's available for cable, but i know its an app on my roku that must be paid for (like Netflix). I believe it comes with smart devices as well?

Oh, well this is disappointing. I was not thinking that it was just another Netflix like service, and I have to say I am saddened to hear that. I thought that maybe this was something new and exciting, but I should have known given the ambiguous commercial and the fact that they did not really explain anything. Oh well, on to the next thing I suppose. Thanks for sharing.

@rz3300 what is it you're looking for or trying to do? I been cable hating for a few years now and trying different options, maybe i can help?

my brother just got it and loves it. not sure if he picked his channels but he is satisfied. I have been Rokuing for about 2 years now with just Netflix, WWE Network and CBS All Access. There is enough free (with commercials) apps on the roku to satisfy us. I could really live without Netflix also. Sling tv was something i was looking into but i really don't miss tv.

I did learn a nasty lesson what with all these tropical storms in the area. I really do need local tv so I'm currently working on getting the digital antenna and crap that goes with it hooked up on an older tv. Had i known all the hoopla that went with this, it may been almost as cheap to buy a small new tv.

Bottom line, Sling is good for you if you miss cable but not the $$$

If you're still looking to go OTA, check out Channel Master. It's great! I did that and love it. I had to get a Roku Leaf antenna and NBC is still spotty, but all the other channels come in great.

@dustinb12 wow! My bad, I messed that up. No, channel master is a DVR device that take OTA signal and records it. No fees, just buy the box and hook it to your internet.
I meant to say MOHU Leaf. It's one of the best indoor antennas. Super thin, but it's the best I could find to get good signal.

Latest posts

Latest threads

Back