What is so GREAT about Zelda?

polski691

Playing
Nintendo DS
I, in my thirteen years of gaming have never played a Zelda game. People have tried to convince me to start with them, but no one has ever made an argument so compelling that I actually felt the need to go out and get myself one of the games. The amount of flak I get for saying this to people is just too overwhelming, so tell me this: WHAT IS SO GREAT ABOUT ZELDA? What is so amazing that you guys need to flame me so hard when I say I haven't played it?

PS: Don't get me wrong, I love Zelda the Prince. He's a good character and all, but I just don't get his games.

PPS: PSYCH. I know Zelda isn't the prince, Link is. xD

Why would you need someone to make an argument for you to do something great? It's not like someone had to convince you to go to the beach and play in the sun for the first time. If you see that lots of people really like something, you try it for yourself. If you like it too, great; if not, you move on.

P.S. Link is not a prince

no no i get it. Im the same way with COD. i've heard so much about it, i really can't stand it. and no i've never played it before.

but i'll try to answer (btw i have all the games, some toys, shirts, tattoos, etc. so i'm a lil qualified)

gameplay is great, stories are great, music is spectacular. the nostalgia factors in as well, this is the first adventure a lot of us had on a video game.

why is it a big deal?

for me, i get emotionally involved. i feel connections to many of the characters, which is amazing since some don't even talk. i get drawn into the story and really care about what happens. Zelda isn't just a game, it's always a work of art

I haven't played much Zelda, but I can tell you what I think of it.

What makes Zelda so great besides a great story, great characters and beautiful music combined with very good gameplay is the history of Zelda games.
Looking back at each one of them, they somehow managed to make all characters develop through time. And not just the characters, but the game in itself too.
The graphics, the ideas, the atmosphere and the general feeling while playing Zelda seems to remain beautiful for each game you play.

I think that's what makes most of Zelda fans become Zelda fans :)

@crunchyg My argument is this: If the people that do enjoy it to the max cannot sell it to me, then how is anyone else supposed to? True, reviewers will say a lot, but it really does come down to personal preference, doesn't it?

Also, I know that, and that WAS the joke. But it must have been a pretty bad one if I have to explain it. :3

@dustinb12: SOMEONE THAT SYMPATHIZES WITH ME. I have hit the karma jackpot. :D

You may ave just turned me. I might actually give the Zelda games a shot. But I have a condition: you must try a COD game as well. They're just as fun, trust me. Good story, good gameplay. Stay out of multiplayer if you have something against obnoxious children, but other than that, it ticks all of your boxes.

Thank you so much! ^^

dustinb12 said:
Averus, that was PERFECT
Thank you :)
As someone who hasn't played much Zelda, I've read my post again and now I wanna play it really badly haha :D

It is, indeed, a wonderful game. No one can deny that fact :)

averus said:
I haven't played much Zelda, but I can tell you what I think of it.

What makes Zelda so great besides a great story, great characters and beautiful music combined with very good gameplay is the history of Zelda games.
Looking back at each one of them, they somehow managed to make all characters develop through time. And not just the characters, but the game in itself too.
The graphics, the ideas, the atmosphere and the general feeling while playing Zelda seems to remain beautiful for each game you play.

I think that's what makes most of Zelda fans become Zelda fans :)
It is so hard to believe that you haven't actually played any of the Zelda games! What makes you speak so powerfully about it, then? I was almost turned by you, until I saw the next post saying you hadn't actually played any of the games.

i got the joke, btw. it's like out in public:

"Oh i like your Zelda shirt!"

Thanks, but that's Link

As for CoD, if i run out of stuff to play, maybe i'll give it a shot, but with MK8 and Mario Golf, it won't be soon.

polski691 said:
It is so hard to believe that you haven't actually played any of the Zelda games! What makes you speak so powerfully about it, then? I was almost turned by you, until I saw the next post saying you hadn't actually played any of the games.
I did play some Zelda, but never played through any of them.
I'm planning Zelda to be the next series I'll play through as soon as I get some free time (with a full-time job, and several freelance assignments I hardly have time to breathe lol).

I speak so high of Zelda because I've experienced the wonderful feeling of playing the game, getting to know its mechanics and characters. I've played the original Zelda, and a little of Ocarina of Time. I liked both, but something always prevented me from playing the games to the end.

As I mentioned before, I'm probably gonna play them soon :)

I haven't played much Zelda myself, but I think people like it for the unique experience and being able to explore interesting dungeons. Also, a lot of people love the unique combat in the newer games and for those who aren't a fan of it there are other Zelda games with a more basic combat system.

I actually, don't play much Zelda myself regardless of my profile picture. Growing up my brothers usually played it, they would just let me run around on Epona on Ocarina of Time when they were in the bathroom or getting something to eat. I actually started playing Zelda when my younger sister put a controller in my hand and said "Here, I'll teach ya how to play." Granted I don't like her teaching me much because I am the older sibling, I admit though, getting into it was the best part. It was exciting and I can't wait to play more! My first Zelda game was Twilight Princess for the game cube. I'm still learning. The graphics are amazing and the story line is just as great. I have just as much a good time watching a Zelda game be played as I do playing them myself!

The thing about Zelda, for me, is the combination of visuals and music, along with the storyline and puzzle solving/adventuring.

I'm not a huge gamer, myself, but I have loved the Legend of Zelda games that I have played. I prefer a game with a storyline, and I especially love exploring the world of the game, meeting other characters and doing side-quests. Zelda tends to have a lot to offer artistically, both for visuals and music. The games have an engaging atmosphere, and have a good combination of fighting and puzzle-solving. The mythology of the series can be interesting, if you choose to delve that far into it. It has memorable characters, and has just been enjoyable for me overall.

It certainly isn't a game for everybody (I don't think any game can please EVERYONE), but the series is my personal favorite. If you do choose to play, I hope you get enjoyment from it. :)

I'm not going to flame you. I am just going to wonder how the hell you've managed to never play a single Zelda game in all your years. How does that even happen? Seriously, explain it to me please.

Well there isn't anything that is special about it. To me I just found it really addictive when I began to play the game a long time ago and ever since then I have been hooked to it. A game that reminds me so much of Zelda these days is Assassins Creed t. The game just feels like a newer futuristic version of Zelda even though to me Zelda is much better.

The Zelda games offer more in the way of adventure than some of the other games. It allows you to go out and go through strange lands and defeat scary creatures and awesome bosses to save Zelda and the world. Honestly, you have to at least find one game and give it a go because I don't think you would be disappointed. These games aren't easy either. They do take patience and skill and problem solving.

I think for a lot of people it's just the general feel to it. Zelda has always had a really campy feel. It also really set a new bar for RPG games on consoles. It involved problem solving and critical thinking. Also the story lines are fun, but at the same time pretty simple to follow. I also think a lot of it has to do with the fact that they are genuinely fun games. Don't get me wrong I love elder scrolls games and World of Warcraft and games that have these never ending plots, but sometimes I just miss the good old days when I hopped on Zelda, walked around what I THOUGHT was a huge map and explore.

I am a HUGE Zelda fan, but let me make a recommendation if you do decide to try: Work from the basics up.

I would strongly recommend starting out with something old school like Zelda: A Link to the Past, and work your way up. I feel that starting here will help you to understand why fans have crazed about it over the past few decades.

It does have a good story, and the game play/attack mode is not like Final Fantasy games where you have to take turns with attacks- instead you just hit, or run away if you so choose. You have several items that you aquire through game play to help aid your journey, and watching these items evolve with each and every game is very satisfying. There are lots of mini games to play in all the series, and finding all of those hidden heart pieces is a treat to help you stay alive. The music is also heavily factored, but also evolves beautifully with each new game.

Not every game played exactly the same however, there are a few games that I personally have strayed away from playing, simply because they differed greatly from the original story. Games like: Wind Waker, Phantom Hour Glass, Oracle of Seasons, Oracle of Ages, and Spirit Tracks. These are games that I personally did not care for, but I am sure others fans might have.

Games I would play (in order of release): A Link to the Past, Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword.

If I left any games out, it's simply because I didn't play them. But that is not to say you shouldn't try them. Your taste for games probably differs from mine.

If you do decide to play any games, I would like to challenge you to not use strategy guides or internet videos to help you breeze through game play :3 After all, what is the fun and glory in playing a strategy/adventure game if you have all of the answers in front of you =^.^=

Latest posts

Latest threads

Back