What is your favorite game genre?

BanjoKazooie

From
Pennsylvania USA
Playing
Nintendo 64
What is your favorite gaming genre? Mine is action adventure, like Zelda, Tomb Raider, Metroid and such. I just love having the mix of puzzles, combat, and my favorite, exploration. Together, those three things make a perfect game for me!

Adventure games are great, especially if they have a solid story behind them. My personal favorites are RPGs. Though very few games are true RPGs (like D&D), they usually offer a rich storyline, a system of gaining experience, and nail biting drama. I used to be into fighting games, but I have since demoted those to occasional play.

I also love RPGs! Although my favorite RPG series is the Elder Scrolls. I could never get into Dragon Age or the old D&D games, but I love playing them as P&P games! Pen and Paper games will never get old to me! I also love KOA reckoning, I'm not sure if you have played it, but it mixes an amazing story with wonderful action and fantasy style graphics. It is truly one of the marvels of the current generation.

Elder scrolls is probably the closest video game to a pen and paper. Most of what is called an RPG, is really nothing more then a story based adventure game, with the ability to level up. I agree, pen and paper games are the most fun of all, so much that I designed my own game. There is something about having a human game master that gives pen and paper games a depth that no video game will ever have.

I think we should ask Crunchy for a role playing subforum! I will either PM him about it or start a topic in the site feedback section. Or both. I love role playing even on Forums! I have a good idea for one too!

Thomas Ennis said:
Elder scrolls is probably the closest video game to a pen and paper. Most of what is called an RPG, is really nothing more then a story based adventure game, with the ability to level up. I agree, pen and paper games are the most fun of all, so much that I designed my own game. There is something about having a human game master that gives pen and paper games a depth that no video game will ever have.
Ahh, I've figured out my favourite genre now. ' Story based adventure'. Forget RPG, it's all about SBAG! Sounds kinda wrong for some reason though?

Horror - in particular survival horror. A close second is RPGs and RPG fusions. Last but not least would be out and out weirdness. Of course my favorite games combine two if not all of the above into one disturbing little package. I have to say I'm not a Pen and Paper sort of person... Warhammer40000 sure, but that's cards and such as much as anything else.

It's a toss-up between action platformers and role-playing games as my overall favorite. I grew up mostly playing games from those categories.

I am really stuck here. I LOVE survival horror, but I am also a huge RPG gamer at heart. But if i had to choose one...... I'd go with RPG. Hands down. The story is always so much more involved and it takes actually strategy to really play an RPG. Plus, a really good RPG is much longer then any other game. I have like 50+ hours in Skyrim and I am still going strong on it. And God knows how many hours I clocked in on Final Fantasy 7 back in the day, but I'm sure it was also way over 50 hours.

Ah, but dethdealer... that's the beauty of modern games. You can easily clock 30+ hours on a horror game via achievements, bonuses, speedruns, and of course the simple storyline. I think the PS2 with SH3 was the best for this, but quite a few games now are all about getting the most bang for your buck - and that's just on single player. More than a few games are also working on multiplayer so there is that if you'd like.

For me, it's the FPS genre without a doubt. I have grown up playing FPS games ever since I was a child. I've been molded into a FPS loving person. I'm such a fanboy for Battlefield and Call of Duty series, it's crazy. I always dreamed of being a soldier, but I know I will never have the guts to actually be one. Playing these FPS games can give me a little taste of how it is.

Everybody has a favorite game (or several), but what about genre? What style of game do you take the most pleasure in playing? Where do you spend most of your gaming time? Let's say Metal Gear Solid is your favorite game, but you spend more time playing Tetris. Does this mean you like Puzzle games more than Action/Adventure?

Most of my favorite games are RPGs. I have spent the majority of my gaming time locked into an incredible story or leveling up my characters. There is something more satisfying to me about a 40+ hour game than an 10-15 hour one. Yet, some people play games to beat them.

Multiple genres are fine. I'm just curious.

My favorite genre is 2D shmups (or shoot 'em-ups for the uninitiated) closely followed by 2D action/platformer side-scrollers. I'm also a huge fan of JRPGs, I've sunk thousands of hours into those but don't play them all that much nowadays. Generally, I gravitate towards games that provide that old school arcade experience. I can play these for a few minutes or even several hours, no need to commit a significant amount of time each day to enjoy them.

RPGS (This encompasses every form of RPG - JRPG, WRPG, Sci-fi or Present Times RPGS. Just anything with a ROLE you ASSUME)

Following that, I'd have to say Platformers in general - could be hack and slash or typical fare. Then comes first person shooters, and then third person shooters/puzzle games/sports games in descending order.

My heart has, and always will be, for RPGS. Of any kind.

We seem to have a consensus that RPGs are what held us to gaming. I would say that I agree with most of what has been said in this thread.

What are some of your favorite games, guys?

Too many to count. I'd be here all day. So I'll just do NES to PS1 right now.

1. NES - Star Tropics, Zelda 1 & 2, Mario 1/2/3, and plenty more - had such a huge collection it's s shame to narrow it down!

2. SNES - Zelda: LTTP, Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana, Battletoads & Double Dragon, and plenty more - SNES was the first console "I" owned myself. The NES was shared. I loved my SNES!

3. N64 - Zelda:OOT, Zelda:MM, Diddy Kong Racing, Vex, and plenty more platformers I didn't mention. N64 = best platformer era imo.

4. PS1 - Symphony of the Night; Soul Reaver; All the other JRPGS, Crash Bandicoot, and more!

I would say for me the shortlist is Final Fantasy VII, Metal Gear Solid, Chrono Cross, and Fire Pro Wrestling Returns.

Honestly, I really like simulation games like The Sims and Animal Crossing. I try to get into Harvest Moon but I don't have much luck.

I think my favorite genre would be first-person shooters. Even though I don't like Call Of Duty, since it's just an overrated piece of garbage that should already disappear from the mainstream.

Latest threads

Back