What we would like to see in a Zelda game

aerieth

I would like to see... a Zelda game where you don't play Link. I know what you're thinking, "how could it be a Zelda game without Link?!". I'll elaborate:

I think Nintendo should release a game set in the world of Hyrule where you don't assume the role of hero of time. Perhaps you could be a Gerudo vigilante or a villager who has to escape his or her town after Ganon's minions attack it. Link would still appear in the game but instead as an NPC who is somehow pivotal to the story; perhaps you meet him along your adventure or maybe he could simply exist as a legend within the world, being represented only through murals and the dialogue of other characters.

The Zelda series has been criticized for being "the same game over and over". Even though you play a different iteration of Link in each game (because of how the timeline works), it's generally the same dynamic: Link + Zelda + Ganon. I'd like to see Nintendo do what Konami did with Metal Gear Solid 2: give the player the perspective of someone who isn't the "chosen hero". One of my favorite Zelda games of all time, Majora's Mask (severely underrated), did this to a degree with the masks but I think they should take it further. It would expand the Zelda universe and make for a very interesting and unique game in the series.

What are your thoughts? Good idea or bad idea? Do you have any ideas for a Zelda game not starring Link?

I definitely think this would be interesting. Playing the same character over and over can get kind of boring.
This is one reason I enjoy RPGs where you make your own character.

That's a thought. You weren't Link in Wind Waker ;)

However, think of GTA IV DLC> You played as Niko, but then two other people in DLC.

it would be awesome if Zelda games started doing DLC like that, with the twist like you explain.

DLC might not be a bad idea, actually. Nintendo could tack on little sequels, prequels, or side stories where you play a different character with largely similar game mechanics. You're not Link, so you don't get as much cool stuff as he does, but you get to see the game from another angle. It could be a prequel where you're Link's uncle in LttP, or a guard defending the palace from Ganon's forces for as long as you can in OoT. Maybe a side game where you play Saria or Ruto's path to become a sage. Sequel ideas could be things like playing Midna as she finds her own world in turmoil after her return. I guess some of these would have to be their own game, rather than a short DLC, but they could be worth it.

Well, there was a game about that weird fairy dude, Tingle, but of course that never came to the States.

I personally think they should reduce the number of Zelda games released and focus on big, canonical titles. A true Zelda should come once every 4 or 5 years, and I don't care much for the side stories (except Majora's Mask, which was amazing).

I would like a game where you play as the princess. I mean yeah there was one but it was so bad that Nintendo refuses to recognize it. I would like to see a game where you can play as Zelda that is actually good.

Professor E. Gadd said:
Well, there was a game about that weird fairy dude, Tingle, but of course that never came to the States.

I personally think they should reduce the number of Zelda games released and focus on big, canonical titles. A true Zelda should come once every 4 or 5 years, and I don't care much for the side stories (except Majora's Mask, which was amazing).
Tingle was creepy. He made my flesh crawl. That game would not have done well in the states.

I like your idea, it would be epic to do one big title every 4 years that's canon to the story, and it would be an exciting event when a new Zelda game came out instead of "Oh, another Zelda game." Sometimes when you overdo something to the point of oversaturation, it cheapens it and makes it less exciting. Spacing the games out and focusing on the main story would make new releases more special.

I actually think that's a pretty interesting idea. I know that when I played Luigi's Mansion, where, even though it was still the Mario franchise, the series took a break and let us play as Luigi instead, I found it quite refreshing and renewed an appreciation for the series as a whole.

To be able to play through Ganon's story as a gerudo theif, his imprisonment and his hostile take over!

I would like to see... Majora's mask on 3DS game console. I already own the ocarina of time would be so epic if they made it for 3DS.

Latest posts

Latest threads

Back