What Wii U Games Are Currently Worth Buying?

thatthisguy

Playing
Super NES
I thought there were some pretty good games on the Wii, but it wasn't really a gamer's console. Now that the Wii U has been out for a while what are some games worth buying? Nintendo was touting their focus on gamers with the Wii U and I'd like to know what kinds of "gamer games" are out on the system currently? I'm looking to buy one, but I don't want to if the selection isn't great.

As a "gamer", I can say for certain that the Nintendo Wii was absolutely a "gamer's console". In fact, I loved the Nintendo Wii way more than I did the Xbox 360 and Playstation 3. Double in fact, I played the Nintendo Wii more than the 360 and PS3 combined. True story.

Now, I was a huge, huge, Playstation and Playstation 2 fan. I loved them both, and highly looked forward to the Playstation 3. But the PS3 never caught my attention. It felt boring and played out. It felt 'more of the same'. As did the 360. I mean, sure, there were some cool things for both, here and there. But they had a lot of the same things on them. Even when new and new and new games came out, a lot of them felt like I was playing the exact same game with new characters. As a gamer, I wanted more. That's why I stuck with my Wii. It had great games on it. Not all, of course. However, I noticed that people like to say that Nintendo "abandoned" the "hardcore" gamer. And that's only semi-true. Because Nintendo still pumped out a lot of what they have done before in the past, and are still doing now. So, in reality, even tho people don't like to admit it, it was really the 3rd Parties who gave up on "hardcore" gamers. Only, really, the 3rd Parties gave up on the "hardcore Nintendo gamers". Only some 3rd Parties bothered to make good games for Wii. Most made terrible ports or shovelware. But that wasn't Nintendo's fault, completely. It was largely due to the 3rd Parties decisions. Now, not every game on the PS3 or 360 could of been made exactly how they were on the Wii, given that the Wii was weaker. Granted. I get that. I understand that. That's true. However, Nintendo gave the 3rd Parties an opporturnity to make fantastic new games, however, the 3rd Parties squandered it. Only a few made some great games that really shined on the Wii. Most just did a half-assed job on purpose. The goal, really, was for them to make brand new games. Unique games. Fun games. But most 3rd Parties only wanted to keep pumping out the same games over and over. They didn't want to make brand new, exciting, fun games for the "Nintendo hardcore". Instead, they abandoned the "Nintendo hardcore", leaving Nintendo to do what they did best, all alone. There are still plenty of "hardcore" gamers that love Nintendo. But the 3rd Parties deny them great stuff on purpose, because the 3rd Parties (some, at least), care more about the money and not about the "hardcore" gamers. Granted, it's a business, and money is a major point in a business. However, if they had any respect for the "hardcore gamers", they would of make great games that were only achievable on the Wii. But most didn't. The 3rd Parties abandoned the Nintendo Hardcore. Again, Nintendo's console being weaker was a part of it. But not the whole story. The 3rd Parties have a lot to blame for that too.

And that's evident by the great games that some 3rd Parties did make on the Wii. Here are list of some of the best games on the Wii.

Sin & Punishment: Star Successor - Nintendo
Kirby's Epic Yarn - Nintendo
Okami - Capcom
Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure - Capcom
Muramasa: The Demon Blade - Ignition Entertainment
Punch-Out - Nintendo
Sonic Colors - Sega
Red Steel 2 - Ubisoft
Mario Kart Wii - Nintendo
Monster Hunter Tri - Capcom
Super Paper Mario - Nintendo
No More Heroes 2: Desperate Struggle - Ubisoft
Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition - Capcom
Dead Space Extraction - EA
Tatsunoko vs Capcom: Ultimate All-Stars - Capcom
New Super Mario Bros. Wii - Nintendo
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess - Nintendo
Donkey Kong Country Returns - Nintendo
Super Mario Galaxy - Nintendo
Metroid Prime Trilogy - Nintendo
Super Smash Bros. Brawl - Nintendo
Super Mario Galaxy 2 - Nintendo
Wii Sports - Nintendo
Wii Sports Resort - Nintendo
Disney's Epic Mickey - Disney
Xenoblade Chronicles - Monolith Soft
No More Heroes - Ubisoft
House of the Dead: Overkill - Sega
The Last Story - Xseed Games
WarioWare: Smooth Moves - Nintendo
Madworld - Sega
De Blob - THQ
De Blob 2 - THQ
Boom Blox: Bash Party - EA
Rune Factory: Frontier - Rising Star
Endless Ocean - Nintendo
Beat the Beat: Rhythm Paradise - Nintendo
Geometry Wars: Galaxies - Sierra
Call of Duty: Black Ops - Activision
Project Zero 2: Wii Edition - Nintendo
Lost in Shadow - Hudson Soft
Resident Evil: The Darkside Chronicles - Capcom
Sakura Wars: So Long, My Love - Idea Factory
Fragile Dreams: Farewell Ruins of the Moon - Xseed Games
Klonoa - Namco Bandai
Deadly Creatures - THQ
Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn - Nintendo
Animal Crossing: City Folk - Nintendo
Rhythem Heaven Fever - Nintendo
Excitebots: Trick Racing - Nintendo
A Boy and His Blob - WayForward
Silent Hill: Shattered Memories - Konami
Conduit 2 - Sega
Metroid: Other M- Nintendo
Little King's Story - Xseed Games
Arc Rise Fantasia - Xseed Games
La-Mulana - EnjoyUp Games
Wii Fit - Nintendo
Pandora's Tower - Xseed Games
Kirby's Return to Dreamland - Nintendo
Battalion Wars 2 - Nintendo
Batman: The Brave and the Bold - WayForward
etc.etc..

The Wii was a very capable system, that was designed for new and innovative games. However, the 3rd Parties, by large, ignored it. Now, there were still some great 3rd Party Wii games, that were amazing. Like the Xseed Games, for example. But overall, on a whole, the 3rd Parties really abandoned the "Hardcore Nintendo Gamers". Nintendo still did what they have always done, and supported the system a lot. It was the 3rd Parties that chose not to take it seriously, and instead of creating new and exciting games, they chose to be boring and make the same old games, over and over again. Not that making the same game is bad, as sometimes new versions of games you love is great. But not virtually everybody out there is also doing the same thing, flooding the market with the exact same game, same type of game, or same experience.

The Wii was more capable than people gave it credit for. And the same thing is happening on the Wii U. The Nintendo Wii U is more capable than people have given it credit for. However, this time around, a lot more 3rd Party developers have finally caught on, and are starting to make a lot of great games earlier on. Which bodes well for the Wii U. Granted, it doesn't have the big sales numbers right out of the games. However, there are a lot more "real" titles in the works than there are quick shovelware games. So that's a great sign. The vast amounts of shovelware by the 3rd Parties on the original Wii really hurt the Wii, as people thought that that's all it could do, and saw the poor sales on the shovelware as an excuse to stay away. Luckily, the Wii U doesn't have that as a big issue. The Wii U is starting out more along the lines of the 3DS. Poor sales numbers out of the gate. However, a lot of quality titles in the works. So the Wii U will do much better, in terms of 3rd Party games and support.

Now, as for Wii U games, I have a lot, and plan on getting even more soon. Like, within the next 2 weeks soon.

Here, check out this thread..

What Wii U games have you beaten?

I have a list of all of the games that I own, and, I plan on writing a review for every game that I beat, which, by the way, my goal it to beat all of them. So, give me a little time, as my brother's wedding is coming up shortly, so I'm pressed for time, for the time being. So I can't get all of the reviews up and running right now. However, if you have any questions on any particular game, let me know, and I'll give you my honest opinion on each game. Or, like I said, you can just wait until I have all of the reviews up. I'm doing the same for my 3DS titles too.

Like I said, if you have any questions on anything in particular, let me know, and I'll answer what I can. But until then, I'll get back to you on the recommendations for this system soon. However, I can say, without a doubt, to pick up a Wii U. It's an amazing system, with lots of great titles out right now, and a ton of more titles coming out soon. Great titles. Big titles. Fun games. I can say, without a doubt, that I'm not buying any new consoles this year. Instead, I'm using all of that money on more Wii U and 3DS games. That is how great both of those systems are to me right now. So yeah, definitely check out the Wii U. I highly recommend it.

I currently own:

Retail (Digital copies are in italics)

New Super Mario Bros. U
Nintendo Land
ZombiU
Batman: Arkham City
Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed
Call of Duty: Black Ops II
Assassin's Creed III
Monster Hunter 3: Ultimate
The Wonderful 101

eShop titles:

Bit.Trip Runner 2
Trine 2
Mighty Switch Force: Hyperdrive Edition
Cloudberry Kingdom

Virtual Console:

Kirby's Adventure
Punch-Out!!
Balloon Fight
Super Metroid
F-Zero
Earthbound

Note that there are still many games I'm looking to get, particularly on the eShop.

As for recommended games, if you're looking to get a console, I'd personally say that Nintendo Land is a must. If you ever play with friends, this game will be an absolute hit! Naturally, I'd also recommend New Super Mario Bros. U (and Super Mario 3D World in a couple of weeks), since no Nintendo console is complete without Mario titles. And finally, if you're looking for more 'hardcore' games, you can't go wrong with Monster Hunter. It's very much an acquired taste - some people love it, while others just can't get into it. I'd probably try the demo of it before you buy it though. Call of Duty is also an option. I haven't bought Ghosts yet, but intend to. Sadly, while Black Ops II looked great on the Wii U, it suffered from having very few people playing online (2000 was around the peak it saw at any one time), and I've heard that Ghosts is suffering the same. It may well see a boost around Christmas time though.

In all honesty though, the best games haven't come out yet - next year will have Mario Kart and Super Smash Bros., as well as potentially seeing many other franchises that have been hiding away (like Metroid and a new Zelda game). If I remember correctly, Monolith Soft may have X finished next year too.

In my opinion the following games are definitely worth looking at:
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate
Assassins Creed 3
Legend of Zelda Wind Waker HD
Dark Siders 2

I would also keep your eyes out for the release of Watch Dogs sometime next year.

I can't to see what watch dogs brings to the table. It's going to be amazing. The Wii U is going to get a surge in popularity with all these new titles coming out next year. It's going to be quite amazing to watch and it's something nintendo has always done. The first year in a nintendo consoles life is slow and then year 2 hits once the development of wip titles finishes and the popularity explodes. I can't even imagine the sales once the new smash bros comes out.

Latest threads

Back