What Would Make You Buy This Console?

This might seem like an overly simplistic(and old-school) answer, but i'd really like a "flagship" Mario title.

I picked up a Wii with Twilight Princess, and it looks like I'll be picking up an NX with Breath of the Wild.

That's something that really baffled me; there wasn't a must-have from the core franchises for the WiiU's launch.

I would like a console with the games being on nice collectible carts. I want to be able to show off the games as a part off my furnishing. Also I find that physical games most often can be bought cheaper because of different online stores competing against each other for having the best price. Nintendos own store will always be more pricey.
Although the games being on carts I want to be able to install them on a hard drive. With other words the best off two worlds - Nice collectible physical carts but still able to switch between games within seconds.
Agree? =)

If they innovate, their core players will like them, but they'll get bad sales. If they stay mainstream, the core players will get bored, but they will have good sales.

Sales as never been the most important thing on the agenda for Nintendo, and rightly or wrongly, they seem to be more concerned with keeping the fans they've got rather than appealing to new ones. In a way that's made Nintendo somewhat stagnate as a company and while their releases do sell, they don't seem to be reaching out and increasing their sales because they are more concerned with developing unique ideas rather than ones that will actually appeal to non-Nintendo fans and then increase their fan base.

@Hawkeye Just saying Wii doesn't tell me a great deal, so if you'd care to expand on your post then maybe I would have some idea what you're on about and we could carry on the discussion, haha!

I'm assuming you don't agree with my point, but I could do with knowing why before I reply so I can agree or carry on the discussion.

@pwarbi
I think the Wii and their "blue ocean strategy" appealed way beyond their core fans. That strategy paid off.

But they also appealed to core fans with a LOT of titles. 2X flagship Mario titles, 2X "new" Zelda titles, 2X Metroid titles and many many more. (Yes i remember the drought, but there seems to have been more titles for core gamers on the Wii than on the WiiU)

I think the "genius" of the Wii (hardware+software+services) is that it appealed to a very wide and diverse customer base; unlike the offerings from Sony or Microsoft.

The WiiU IMHO, only appealed to a subset of core Nintendo fans and noone else. Thats not a good recipe for success.

I see the Wii as Nintendo at the top of their game. Appeal to as many ppl as possible.

The Wii was probably the most appealing console to gamers that weren't Nintendo fans as such since the NES and the SNES, I agree with that, and while there's no doubt it was a good console, it still didn't have the same appeal as the Playstation 3 or the Xbox 360 when they first came out in my opinion.

It appealed more and was aimed more at the gamers who already knew what Nintendo was about, and in some ways they did play things a little safe. What could have been a great console turned into just a good one and while some people still play the Wii now, most have already gone on to newer devices. Well, all the people I know have anyway.

They'd have to mess up pretty bad to not have me buy it. Like charging $550+. I like the rumors of what it is, a console/handheld hybrid.

Yep, I am not willing to spend that much on it. Unless it comes out and blows everyone mind and is a must have, I anticipate this being another one that I wait a little bit until the price comes down to reality. That said, though, I think Nintendo is probably the company least likely to inflate their prices, but they all do it so who really knows. Should be interesting to see.

i can't be the only one not excited about it beign a handheld, right?

what will make me buy it is the brand name: Nintendo

i want to be able to seamlessly move all my wii u stuff to the nx, and have backwards compatibility. I want it to be the console I've been waiting for, not the one to play while waiting for that console. And for goodness sake: I WANT TO WRESTLE! wwe games please

Brand name is still a massive pull for a lot of people, and while in the past, some of the Nintendo consoles haven't been that good, the fact they are made by Nintendo as managed to make them successful I think. In the world of console gaming, Nintendo is still a name that people trust, and while that trust might have faded bit by bit as the consoles and time goes by, I still think that the arrival of the NX will cause a lot of excitement, even though people might not know too much about it just yet.

I'll probably pick it up eventually since I do that with all Nintendo consoles.

If they launch some games that I can wanted to play and I couldn't play it anywhere else I would buy the console. It doesn't mater how good the console is, if the games for it aren't, it won't sell.

You are right thee @SirJoe and it's the games that become available for the consoles that ill define if it will become a success or not. Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft know only too well that they can build the greatest consoles around, but if the games are up to scratch then eventually that console will simply fade away never to be seen again.

The game developers need to work closer with the console manufacturers so we don't see happen again what we saw when the Playstation 4 came out, and it was the most powerful console by far, but the game developers struggled (and some still do) to make the most of the new power they had available, and so a lot of the Playstation 4 games are only slightly better than the Playstation 3 versions.

The game developers need to work closer with the console manufacturers so we don't see happen again what we saw when the Playstation 4 came out, and it was the most powerful console by far, but the game developers struggled (and some still do) to make the most of the new power they had available, and so a lot of the Playstation 4 games are only slightly better than the Playstation 3 versions.

It's almost as if the developers were hitting a wall of diminishing returns...

@pwarbi that was probably one of the big mistakes they made when they launched the new PlayStation 4. When they launched the PlayStation 3 they had a game to go with it Gran Turismo 5, there were a lot of people that bought the console just to play the game. I have friend of mine that did exactly that, he used his kids as an excuse saying it was for them but he spent more time playing on it then they did. :D

It's almost as if the developers were hitting a wall of diminishing returns...

I think you could be right, and it doesn't really matter how powerful a console is, if the game developers can't make the most of that new power then we will continue to get the same quality of games that we have done in the past. It's almost as if Microsoft, Sony or Nintendo have said to them "look at the new specifications on the new consoles, aren't they fantastic?" and the game developers have said "yeh, they're brilliant, it's just a shame that the technology that we are using to create the games can't match it".

VR is going to throw the cat amongst the pigeons I think though, and that will maybe give the console industry the shake up it needs because at the moment it's as if we're just pottering along not really knowing what direction we're going.

Latest threads

Back