What's your thoughts on Paper Mario: Color Splash?

grahamf

Playing
Wii U
Honestly as far as I can tell It's a well designed game, but the trailers have been terrifyingly light on details about the core battle mechanic. However, there isn't enough details to conclusively prove that they will be relying solely on the Sticker Star mechanics. There has been no action wheel, but there is also no sticker book. They show a card being activated, but they do not show what mechanics were used to activate that card. It could be selected from an action wheel or picked from a book, or something else entirely. And Sticker Star is a 3DS game and therefore was pared down dramatically to make it easier to take piecemeal. A Wii U game does not need those restrictions.

Nintendo recently has been finally acknowledging their mistakes and making changes, however instead of reverting to older mechanics they have been making something new. Two examples of this is Zelda being non-linear yet not a traditional Zelda, and Mario Party not having the damn car yet everyone moves at the same time. Therefore, I'm operating under the assumption that the reason Nintendo is not saying if they use traditional or Sticker Star mechanics is because Color Splash will have entirely new mechanics - and the cards are only a part.

So I decided i will not reject Color Splash just because it could be a repeat of Sticker Star, but to be cautiously optimistic that Nintendo will do what they do best - and make classics that are enjoyable to replay even decades later.

I was curious til I saw it was a card based RPG and just in general I can't stand card based RPGs. The only one I enjoyed was Arcana Strikes. Tho I hear BK is really good on Gamecube and yet to get it. From Software had a couple on Gamecube with Lost Kingdoms and meh.

This seems like a fun concept, who knows how it will really work out but I am optimistic. It seems like it will at least be fun and have some replay value, and that's what games are all about anyways :)

The game looks fantastic and the writing humorous. The game really nails down the visuals of paper. Can't wait to play the game.

^ Yeah, paper mario was great but lacking imo. I would really love for this to capitalize on the potential of paper but just add that dynamic detail it was missing. I remember playing paper mario and thinking "eh" sometimes, but stuff like galaxy and 64 kept me so engaged. Just wanna see another great one :D

Well I am still not really sure what to expect from this game. I have looked at it several times but never picked it up and played it, but something in my has always wanted to. I am not sure if it is just me being a big Mario fan or maybe the little bit of humor that comes with it. That would seem to be a nice little break, but then again might not be enough to hold my attention. Interesting stuff, and thanks for sharing.

So far I'm definitely liking the game. While I dislike having to waste a slightly nicer card on goombas and shy guys just because I'm currently out of worn-out shoes/hammers, I haven't found the battle mechanic to be all that limiting. That being said, with specific cards needed to unlock specific events or beat certain bosses, it's definitely more of an adventure puzzler than a proper RPG (fortunately we have the Mario & Luigi series for that). But the world is so vivid and entertaining that it is worth it. $75 in Canuckistan Pesos kinda stings though.

I put in a request to Santa Clause on this one. Now, i admit i really felt like Bowser's Inside Story was more a chore than fun, i do tend to like these kind of games. I never finished the 64 Paper Mario, but i loved the gamecube Paper Mario. i stayed away from Sticker Star because it was not recommended to me at all. But since i was surprised with Splatoon, anytime Nintendo makes a game involving colors and paint, I'm in. It just looks awesome and fun.

I LOATHE Color Trash; why did they have to make yet another Sticker Star(More Like Stinker Star, BECAUSE IT STINKS) Clone, Instead of the Paper Mario game we ACTUALLY WANT?!?!?!?!?! OR Better yet, A Remaster of TTYD, Or a Game More Like it(WHICH IS WHAT STICKER STAR SHOULD HAVE BEEN)

Did you actually play it? It holds up great on it's own. The story is solid, and the music is spectacular. It is literally a game worth replaying just for the story. Hell, there's one surprise on the train level (after you collect all the toads) that will catch you so off guard that you have no chance of restraining your laughter.

No, and I Never will;
but, even on its own, Color Trash Still isn't ANYWHERE N-E-A-R as good as TTYD. TTYD is the Definitive and BEST TRUE classic Paper Mario Games of all time; To Me Paper Mario falls into 2 Categories:
A. Classic/True Paper Mario: the Pinnacle of Mario RPGs
1. Paper Mario 64/Mario Story
2. Paper Mario TTYD/Paper Mario RPG
3. Super Paper Mario
B. Modern Paper Mario: A Hollow Shell of its former Self; and is NO longer an RPG(or even Good for that matter), but an Atrocious:mad:ACTION-ADVENTURE GENRE:mad: They Gave Paper Mario the NSMB Treatment; Just like Mario Party 9 and onwards
1. Sticker Star/Stinker Star
2. Color Splash/Color Trash

AND The Worst part is It's like Everyone is BRAINWASHED into Liking this CRUD; and it doesn't help that They started Color trash SHORTLY after Stinker Star, It's like they LITERALLY Ignored Everything We Hated; And Made it BASICALLY the Same as Stinker Star!!

Last edited:
Maturity is enjoying culinary masterpieces while still being able to enjoy a well made grilled cheese sandwich.

No, and I Never will;
but, even on its own, Color Trash Still isn't ANYWHERE N-E-A-R as good as TTYD. TTYD is the Definitive and BEST TRUE classic Paper Mario Games of all time; To Me Paper Mario falls into 2 Categories:
A. Classic/True Paper Mario: the Pinnacle of Mario RPGs
1. Paper Mario 64/Mario Story
2. Paper Mario TTYD/Paper Mario RPG
3. Super Paper Mario
B. Modern Paper Mario: A Hollow Shell of its former Self; and is NO longer an RPG(or even Good for that matter), but an Atrocious:mad:ACTION-ADVENTURE GENRE:mad: They Gave Paper Mario the NSMB Treatment; Just like Mario Party 9 and onwards
1. Sticker Star/Stinker Star
2. Color Splash/Color Trash

AND The Worst part is It's like Everyone is BRAINWASHED into Liking this CRUD; and it doesn't help that They started Color trash SHORTLY after Stinker Star, It's like they LITERALLY Ignored Everything We Hated; And Made it BASICALLY the Same as Stinker Star!!

Opinions, opinions.

Their just different and i for one love both.
(Maybe i love Colour splash even more.)

Maturity is enjoying culinary masterpieces while still being able to enjoy a well made grilled cheese sandwich.
thats a helluva quote, just saying.

Well there is the first negative anything I've heard about Splash. I think I'm getting it for Christmas and i can't wait. After Splatoon and Woolley World, anything Nintendo does with colors or paint will be coming home.

update: I finished it up and well, i did enjoy it, but i wasn't really interested in 100% ing it. It was very cool and very funny as always. There was some serious aggravation though. There were some mandatory chase scenes that would pop up outta nowhere in bad spots, away from save points, and rarely did i know what to do. As usual with rpgs, a few times i had no idea where to go or what i was supposed to be doing. On the plus side, it was very very creative like many of the wii u's games. For the most part, i did like it and I'm glad i gave it a shot.

Latest posts

Latest threads

Back